Introducing the Packrafting Forum
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ryan Jordan
(ryan) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Greater Yellowstone
Introducing the Packrafting Forum on 06/20/2008 23:09:36 MDT Print View

Hello everyone,

Thanks for pushing us to create this forum. I know I'll be watching and participating! Packrafting is one of the most exciting developments in wilderness travel, and I look forward to the discussions here.

Best Regards,
Ryan Jordan
Publisher & Editor-in-Chief

Ryan Jordan
(ryan) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Greater Yellowstone
New Packrafting Page @ BPL on 06/20/2008 23:12:07 MDT Print View

BPL will be creating a number of portal pages this year, where we consolidate a bit of information across the site about a topic.

We're giving the first one a go on the topic of packrafting:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/packrafting

Your feedback would be welcome - what would you like to see on these types of pages that would be useful? I know on the list for this page is recent forum posts about the topic -- coming soon!

Ryan

Christopher Holden
(back2basics) - F - MLife

Locale: Southeast USA
Re: New Packrafting Page @ BPL on 06/21/2008 06:09:10 MDT Print View

All of the packrafting articles I read on here are in Alaska or in the NW US. I'd like to see articles about trips in other parts of the US, or even other countries. I've asked several boat rental outfits here in TN about packraft rental. The usual response is "A what?" or after describing one, "Someone should start making those." Most of the whitewater trips are out west, but there are plenty of photogenic trips elsewhere, and many with good fishing/hunting.
Most of all, I'd like to find a packraft rental outfit that is willing to ship through the mail. I'd even be ok with just taking one out on the lake for a day. It seems that short of buying one, taking one for a test drive will require a trip to the left coast. Reading all these stories about hiking with a boat in my pack has me eager to buy one, but a home purchase is slated for later in the year, so a packraft in my outings will have to wait until next spring/summer. Until then, I'll have to live vicariously through the text and photos of others.

Michael Schwartz
(greenwalk) - MLife

Locale: PA & Ireland
New Packrafting Page & Arctic Dry Pack on 06/21/2008 06:27:55 MDT Print View

Hey Ryan,

Great idea to create the packrafting forum. By the way, will BPL be introducing gear for packrafting? Also, will you be changing? tweaking? or redesigning your Arctic Dry Pack anytime soon? Mike

Edited by greenwalk on 06/21/2008 06:28:41 MDT.

Carol Crooker
(cmcrooker) - MLife

Locale: Desert Southwest, USA
Cheap packraft on 07/05/2008 22:34:47 MDT Print View

Christopher,
The Sevylor Trail Boat is a $70 packraft. It's lighter than the Alpackas (also much less sturdy and not suitable for white water). I know of one guy who used a Trail Boat to cross the Colorado in the Grand Canyon during a backpacking/climbing trip - in a flat water spot of course.

I've heard Alpacka rents boats but have not confirmed that. Alpacka HQ recently relocated to Colorado from Alaska so shipping will be much less.

Stephen Morse
(scmorse1) - MLife

Locale: Bay area
Sevlor Trail Boat on 07/06/2008 00:38:54 MDT Print View

Interesting boat, but the weight limit is 220lbs. Let's see... 210 lb. guy.... I'm going to have to get to a 10lb pack.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Sevylor Trail Boat on 07/06/2008 12:14:40 MDT Print View

The trail boat is also very small. I am 6'3" and 225 and it feel like I am using a pool toy than a real boat. But it has taken me and a day pack 10 miles down the Eel River here without incident. YMMV

Christopher Holden
(back2basics) - F - MLife

Locale: Southeast USA
Re: Cheap packraft on 07/06/2008 12:21:20 MDT Print View

Carol,
Thanks for the tip, but I'll keep looking for something with a greater carrying capacity. In the meantime, I will look at other vessels for calmer waters.
Chris

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Locale: Phoenix
cheap packraft- buy it here on 07/06/2008 16:16:33 MDT Print View

found the Sevelor packraft. http://www.amazon.com/Sevylor-HF160-Inf ... 760&sr=8-1
$52