A fire what!?!
Display Avatars Sort By:
Matthew Elam
(slashpastor) - F

Locale: Colorado now!!!
A fire what!?! on 06/19/2008 20:21:36 MDT Print View

Why is Gilliput the only company to make a firebowl?
I would think with all of the roving fire bans through out the country and other fire restrictions there would be more of these on the market. What gives?

Do most people just hammer one out for themselves? Or is this a useless piece of gear? If so, why?

-Passionphish

Jason Brinkman
(jbrinkmanboi) - MLife

Locale: Idaho
Re: A fire what!?! on 06/19/2008 22:33:26 MDT Print View

Never had a need for a firebowl I guess. Didn't even know what they were called. I guess if you simply must have a campfire, it would be a pretty responsible way to do it. Probably too heavy for most people here.

Some kayakers use a piece of fireproof cloth for river trips that require containing ashes (Wild & Scenic designated corridors among others).

Edited by jbrinkmanboi on 06/19/2008 22:33:56 MDT.

David Lewis
(davidlewis) - MLife

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada
Re: Re: A fire what!?! on 06/20/2008 08:46:55 MDT Print View

Would a stainless steel mixing bowl work? Would be heavy tho'.

Matthew Elam
(slashpastor) - F

Locale: Colorado now!!!
Firebowls.. on 06/20/2008 20:01:40 MDT Print View

Tell me more about this fire cloth...
Interesting...

P. P.
(toesnorth) - F

Locale: PNW
Re: Firebowls on 06/20/2008 20:19:55 MDT Print View

I have the Grilliput firebowl. It's like a vegetable steamer on steroids. It isn't as heavy as an oil pan or a garbage can lid and more stowable than a bowl but it ain't light. I've only used it on kayak camping trips in areas where a firebowl was mandatory.

Jason Brinkman
(jbrinkmanboi) - MLife

Locale: Idaho
Re: Firebowls.. on 06/25/2008 17:04:06 MDT Print View

The fire cloths that I have seen appear to be made of woven fiberglass material. They are a small and square - 2 to 3 feet wide - and made of heavy fabric that can be rolled. I am sure there is a river rafting or kayaking outfitter that would have them, but I can not seem to find one right now.

They lood very similar to what is described as a welding blanket though. I am pretty sure one of these would work:

http://fireproofblankets.com/

Edited by jbrinkmanboi on 06/25/2008 17:04:51 MDT.