Forum Index » Gear Lists » Ryan Jordan's SUL Winter Challenge

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ryan Faulkner
(ryanf) - F

Locale: Mid atlantic, No. Cal
Re: re:nights out, final gear list, etc. on 11/27/2005 17:41:35 MST Print View

anyone know the weight of the boxers and striped stove setup?

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson
I see Paris I see France someone needs some softshell Pants on 11/27/2005 17:42:37 MST Print View

Yep.
Besides which a decision should be made beteen the Simmerlite and Xtreme stoves. I still would like to see the Xtreme in action on this trip-- in it's modded, weight saving form. Perhaps everyone should say their say about this.

Ryan F., patiance, man! :-)> We have until Dec. 7. Why are you dropping the quest for fire?
I think that very few people could use the pad system you propose ( and my Balaclava is off to you for your ability to do so)---at least with any degree of sleep induced comfort, even for cold-conditioned me. I would like to see a system more people could emulate. A bad, safety challenging example could be set for those less experienced who might try this for themselves.

Ryan Faulkner
(ryanf) - F

Re: I see Paris I see France someone needs some softshell Pants on 11/27/2005 17:48:01 MST Print View

kevin do you know the weight of the striped stove set up? I will change my list to this when I know the weight.
what do you recomend for the pad system? I made sure to give Ryan an extra 1/8" over my setup. I think this will work fine.

Edited by ryanf on 11/27/2005 17:48:39 MST.

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

backsliding? on 11/27/2005 17:49:16 MST Print View

Sripped stove could be 7 oz. Powermax cartridge weight is mentioned earlier on the thread.

No VB pants compromises the sleep system--besides which they would pretty much fulfill the things the eVENT pants would do on this kind of trip. I was thinking the Stephenson VB pants, I think they are superior, but if RBH was doing a prototype, that would be killer. Back to you with weight.

Ryan--for pad system,add a GG Night Light torso pad( 3.7 oz.) to what you have down and I think it would be fine.

Edited by kdesign on 11/27/2005 17:56:33 MST.

Michael Martin
(MikeMartin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: North Idaho
Re: Stove weight on 11/27/2005 17:51:11 MST Print View

Ryan writes:

>> do you know the weight of the striped stove set up?

Ryan. I'd tentatively figure 8oz for the stove. This could be achieved with a mild stripping. The final weight may even be less.

A single 300g cartridge weighs 14oz full and 3.5oz empty.

Ryan Faulkner
(ryanf) - F

Questions??? on 11/27/2005 17:57:19 MST Print View

I changed my list to coleman xtreme stove.

are the VB pants worn OK, withdown knickers for camp? will this be warm enough, I think so?

should we ditch th Met 5 or keep it as worn?
dose anyone know the weight of smartwool boxers?

Edited by ryanf on 11/27/2005 17:58:20 MST.

Michael Martin

Re: backsliding? on 11/27/2005 17:57:37 MST Print View

Kevin writes:

>> No VB pants compromises the sleep system.

Hmm. (intrigued...) Please explain.

>> besides which they would pretty much fulfill the things the eVENT pants would do on this kind of trip.

I envision the eVent pants to be worn all the time. This is close to the (heavier!) system I use of Arcteryx Beta AR pants over mid weight powerdry. (We get a lot of wet snow in my area.)

Wouldn't the VB pants only be used for digging and sleeping?

Edited by MikeMartin on 11/27/2005 18:01:16 MST.

Ryan Faulkner
(ryanf) - F

Re: Re: backsliding? on 11/27/2005 18:01:59 MST Print View

do you guys want me to change pants worn to the ID event and move the VB to carried?

what about the met 5? keep or discard?

I think wearing the VB and having the dowm knickers for camp will be warm enough, what do you think?

I noticed how close I have come to sub 5 without trying to. should we go for it? right now it is only .05oz we need to loose.

Edited by ryanf on 11/27/2005 18:04:54 MST.

Michael Martin

Re: Re: Re: backsliding? on 11/27/2005 18:04:36 MST Print View

Ryan writes:

>> do you guys want me to change pants worn to the ID event and move the VB to carried?

I'm not opposed to the original VB+Gamma setup. I'd just like to hear why Kevin prefers it to eVent+midweight layer. If we did go eVent, I think we ditch the VB pants. (Again, I'd like Kevin's take on this.)

Edited by MikeMartin on 11/27/2005 18:05:11 MST.

Ryan Faulkner
(ryanf) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: backsliding? on 11/27/2005 18:07:59 MST Print View

I think what we should do is have Ryan wear long smartwool underwear with VB pants and have quantum down knickers for camp.
no gama or ID

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

VB pants. on 11/27/2005 18:11:01 MST Print View

The VB pants are in conjunction w/ the RBH VB jacket and VB sox, the VBL system for the bag which is going to make it possible for Ryan to sleep warm and dry enough w/ the rest of his sleep setup. Otherwise, a dedicated VBL should be taken.
The eVENT pants would not perform the VB fuction well---body moisture would transpire out into the bag and would not offer as much warmth as an additional layer.
The VB pants would also be worn 24/7 on the trail . Quite a few Winter mountaineers are comfortable with doing this--admittedly not all ( including me)---but I believe RJ has stated he is very positive about using VB clothing.

Edited by kdesign on 11/27/2005 18:14:38 MST.

Michael Martin

Re: VB pants. on 11/27/2005 18:14:29 MST Print View

Thanks, Kevin. I'm in.

Ryan F -- I have no experience with the MET 5 jacket, but I just googled it. It looks kind of gimmicky and heavy to me. Have you tried it with good results?

Best Regards,

-Mike

Edited by MikeMartin on 11/27/2005 18:15:00 MST.

Ryan Faulkner
(ryanf) - F

Re: VB pants. on 11/27/2005 18:15:59 MST Print View

OK as of right now I have changed my list to include VB pants and montbell 05Z-L Exp. Tights for on the trail.

I havent used the north face met 5 jacket so I took it off the list. but I think I should put it back. or put another soft shell on. what do you think of the jacket?

or instead of a shell mabey just a shirt. Im liking the mont bell Zeo-Line 3D Zip-shirt

Edited by ryanf on 11/27/2005 18:21:28 MST.

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Changed post--misunderstanding on 11/27/2005 18:23:29 MST Print View

Misunderstood your idea, Ryan

Edited by kdesign on 11/27/2005 18:28:13 MST.

Ryan Faulkner
(ryanf) - F

Re: Baselayer over VB pants? on 11/27/2005 18:26:17 MST Print View

Wait what did you misunderstand?

I have already added the montbell 05Z-L Exp. Tights. they look real warm and are probably called expedition for a reason.

my question is should we add a top as well the Zeo-Line 3D Zip-shirt looks warm too. there are reveiws on the MB site.

Edited by ryanf on 11/27/2005 18:31:01 MST.

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

baselayers on the list on 11/27/2005 18:36:43 MST Print View

It would be an appropriate gesture to use synthetic baselayers under the VB clothing for added warmth. Beware the weight and sizing on Montbell's undies--they are small Japanese sizes. I'm personally more familiar with Patagonia's Capilene and Golite's midweight baselayers which would be similar in warmth .

Edited by kdesign on 11/27/2005 18:40:28 MST.

Ryan Faulkner
(ryanf) - F

Re: baselayers on the list on 11/27/2005 18:39:19 MST Print View

if you give me specific examples with weights, I will add them to le list. I still think the MB look good.

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

baselayer weights on 11/27/2005 18:46:10 MST Print View

I need to sit down and reflect on this layering approach but in the meantime-- Golite Endurance tights-- 8 oz.
Patagonia MW zip t --8.5 oz.

Ryan Faulkner
(ryanf) - F

Re: baselayer weights on 11/27/2005 18:57:13 MST Print View

added to the list.

Ryan Faulkner
(ryanf) - F

sub 5 acheived on 11/27/2005 19:26:57 MST Print View

my list is now 4.99 lbs.

I changed princeton tech lamp to petzl tikkia plus and moved backup light to worn on lanyard

yes.

Edited by ryanf on 11/27/2005 19:36:05 MST.