Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Kings Canyon - Evolution Valley
Display Avatars Sort By:
Scott Peterson
(scottalanp) - F

Locale: Northern California
Kings Canyon - Evolution Valley on 06/18/2008 14:27:03 MDT Print View

If anyone has been in this area this year, I would love to get feedback on snow levels, etc. Going to head into the JMT next week and poke around in Evolution and Darwin Canyon areas. Would love to know about good camp spots too if you have them!

Thanks!

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Kings Canyon - Evolution Valley on 06/18/2008 18:23:46 MDT Print View

You might want to look at the trailjournals.com PCT. I believe several of the people who are posting are in that areas now.

--mark

Scott Peterson
(scottalanp) - F

Re: Re: Kings Canyon - Evolution Valley on 06/20/2008 10:01:31 MDT Print View

Looks like most folks are still pretty far south of this part of the trail (I am sure by design). It will be interesting if we cross paths with some of the long haul folks.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
. on 06/20/2008 10:08:02 MDT Print View

Edited by DaveT on 11/20/2014 21:10:14 MST.

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: kings canyon - evolution on 06/20/2008 12:30:52 MDT Print View

I just did my 3rd Rea Lakes Loop in a day, (1st one this year).
The snow level was just a little bit higher than last year, but no where near bad enough to not go for it.

The water level was the highest I'd seen, so if you're going to be crossing the river, you would need to find out that info...

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
. on 06/20/2008 12:33:47 MDT Print View

Edited by DaveT on 11/20/2014 21:10:46 MST.

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Re: Re: Kings Canyon - Evolution Valley on 06/20/2008 13:03:03 MDT Print View

> Looks like most folks are still pretty far south of this part of the trail

There are actually several people who are already past VVR. For example, here is an entry from Handlebar as he past Muir Pass

Scott Peterson
(scottalanp) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Kings Canyon - Evolution Valley on 06/20/2008 15:15:30 MDT Print View

Good pull Mark...I could not locate that info. Looks like the promise of mosquitos will be fullfilled!

Aaron that is fantastic. I might volunteer to try that once...and only once!

I think all stream crossings that are gnarly will have footbridges...so should be ok.

I would agree that the presence of some snow is optimal. I will put up with a little mud on the trail and some mosquitos for a little bit of the cool white stuff.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
. on 06/20/2008 15:50:05 MDT Print View

Edited by DaveT on 11/20/2014 21:11:18 MST.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Rae lakes on 06/20/2008 17:58:58 MDT Print View

7000 up and 7000 down. Nice. I would love more time in that area though. 60 Lakes Basin and Gardiner Basin, and Bench Lake and etc. You get the drift. That area is sublime!!!!!!!!!

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Rae lakes on 06/20/2008 22:01:37 MDT Print View

Yeah, Gardiner Basin/60 Lakes Basin is prime digs. A nice way in there, less travelled, is to go up Bubbs Creek to Charlotte Creek and then bushwhack up stream a ways before heading north over a saddle that drops you into Gardiner Basin from the south.

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: Re: Rae lakes on 06/20/2008 23:40:27 MDT Print View

Yes,
Mosquitoes were notorious.
I'm have just healed, along with the nice, hey stupid, 15 spf at 4 am won't cover you all day with the rays at 12K.

Last year I was there at mid may.
With the snow worse than then, it was prominent but half of the switchbacks were bare going down from Glen Pass to Dollar Lake. Last year it was a but slide all the way down.
At that elevation flat, you would definitely have some snow, but it's going quick.

I've done the Loop 2 other times in 2 days.
Once with my brother and he lost both of his big toe toenails and still curses me for it to this vary day.

The hard part is the 2 to 3 hours of sleep I can only get due to having to get back at dark and to get it done on a weekend off.

The distance isn't all that bad. I did it in 17:45 (I think) last year with out running any of it.

Edited by awsorensen on 06/20/2008 23:45:32 MDT.