Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What Is Your Favorite Thing To Do In Camp At The End Of The Day

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
What Is Your Favorite Thing To Do In Camp At The End Of The Day on 06/18/2008 09:30:57 MDT Print View

I know there is related threads to this but this is a tad more specific.

When I get into camp, do all my chores, and have dinner, I really like to sit down and watch what is left with the alpineglow and sip some single malt scotch. Mind you, just enough to take the worries away and put a smile on my face. The combination of being in the backcountry and having some nice scotch makes the troubles all go away!!!!

Richard Lyon
(richardglyon) - MLife

Locale: Bridger Mountains
Sundowner on 06/18/2008 09:45:30 MDT Print View

I'm a bourbon man myself, and I often try to get a bit of flyfishing in after dinner, otherwise I agree completely. Brightens up a miserable day or is the perfect cap on a glorious backcountry setting. A perfect attitude adjuster.

Art Sandt
(artsandt) - F
Re: What Is Your Favorite Thing To Do In Camp At The End Of The Day on 06/18/2008 13:35:55 MDT Print View

I like to make a fire and eat dinner sitting in front of it. Even if I only gather enough sticks to make it last 25 minutes--in fact, most of my backpacking fires last less than an hour and are pretty small--as long as a fire is burning while I'm eating dinner, I'm happy. (it helps distract from the taste and consistency of dehydrated meals...)

Edited by artsandt on 06/18/2008 13:36:34 MDT.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Lol on 06/18/2008 13:43:43 MDT Print View

Sit down. And do nothing for a few minutes.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: What Is Your Favorite Thing To Do In Camp At The End Of The Day on 06/18/2008 13:47:44 MDT Print View

rest...eat...converse with tripmates

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: What Is Your Favorite Thing To Do In Camp At The End Of The Day on 06/18/2008 14:05:38 MDT Print View

I like to have a small fire. I tend to get antsy just sitting around so gathering sticks and keeping the fire going keeps me occupied.

On trips where I have a partner I enjoy sitting around a small fire and talking or telling stories.

To be honest, I don't like being in camp much. I don't like being idle and sometimes it feels like I'm just burning time until bed-time, especially when I'm out solo. I get much more relaxation (mentally at least) from the walking aspect of hiking, not so much being in camp.

Adam

Randall Miller
(speyguy) - F

Locale: Cascadia
Favorite thing to do...... on 06/18/2008 14:06:34 MDT Print View

Yeah.........single malt with a splash of water. Yah-hooooo!

Scott Ashdown
(waterloggedwellies) - F

Locale: United Kingdom
"What Is Your Favorite Thing To Do In Camp At The End Of The Day" on 06/18/2008 15:02:08 MDT Print View

If fires are allowed,then definitely a small camp fire to poke, with a hot cup of tea and if they are there, some good friends to discuss life, the universe and everything with. Watching a good sunset on stunning scenery rounds off a great day. Oh... and did i mention food and finally taking my footwear off!

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Re: What Is Your Favorite Thing To Do In Camp At The End Of The Day on 06/18/2008 15:28:26 MDT Print View

- Enjoy the satisfying feeling that a nice warm cup of soup gives me as I watch the sunset or stars.
- Have a nip of something while talking with friends.
- Talk about the day's hike (or anything) with my son and daughter.
- Read the map to find out where I really was during the day.

Tom

Edited by TomClark on 06/18/2008 15:29:32 MDT.

Casey Bowden
(clbowden) - MLife

Locale: Berkeley Hills
What Is Your Favorite Thing To Do In Camp At The End Of The Day on 06/18/2008 15:44:49 MDT Print View

> To be honest, I don't like being in camp much. I don't like being idle and sometimes it feels like I'm just burning time until bed-time, especially when I'm out solo. I get much more relaxation (mentally at least) from the walking aspect of hiking, not so much being in camp.

Adam,

I couldn't have put it better myself. Anyone out there have tips for Adam and myself regarding relaxing at the end of the day, especially when alone?

Christopher Holden
(back2basics) - F

Locale: Southeast USA
Re: What Is Your Favorite Thing To Do In Camp At The End Of The Day on 06/18/2008 15:55:06 MDT Print View

Adam/Casey,
Try fishing.
Read a book.
Write a letter or document your journey and observations.
Take up amateur astronomy. Knowing constellations and when/where to look for them will also improve your navigation skills should you ever take on hiking at night.
When all else fails, sudoku!

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
favorite thing to do. on 06/18/2008 15:57:09 MDT Print View

i tend to do long days and hike until it's getting dark, so there's the usual set up shelter, get settled, make dinner, etc. sometimes there's someone else along to talk to. ideally there's a platypus 375 or 500ml of scotch or the like to sip on. watch the stars come out.

i agree with adam and casey. often times i'm alone, and it's usually just get settled and head to bed. i hope the scotch is still in the mix, and then it's some music on the ipod nano all snuggled in the sleeping bag. if i'm hiking alone especially, i tend to just keep walking until it's dark.

i never make campfires, especially if alone. i'm not down with the burned fire rings and scarring (though it doesn't always have to leave that), and lots of places where i hike i'm above timberline, or fires are banned anyway due to scarce downed wood. nothing worse than a well-used area with burned fire rings and zero downed wood/litter on the forest floor.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
What is your favorite thing to do in camp at end of the day on 06/18/2008 18:10:35 MDT Print View

Have good long stretch and a toke.

Jamie Shortt
(jshortt) - MLife

Locale: North Carolina
What Is Your Favorite Thing To Do In Camp At The End Of The Day on 06/18/2008 19:39:06 MDT Print View

I'm with Adam, Casey, and Dave. As a solo hiker camp time can be hard once everything is done. What I normaly try to do is hike as long as possible getting to camp around dusk.

Once I find a site I typically start with getting my water treated so it can set at least 30 minutes. Then I get to work on camp setup...tarp & kitchen area (some distance away). If fire is allowed I gather wood and prepare a place to sit. Next comes setting up the bear bag (just the line in the tree suspended by a rock in a mesh bag).

Now it is time for dinner. I rest a few while the stove is heating water. I get my food rehydrating and if it is cold I hug the pouch for warmth. I eat, enjoy tea, and when done hang my food and kicthen stuff.

Now I start my fire. I usually enjoy some whiskey or everclear in lemon drink to settle me down and play with the coals. Next I write about what happened that day on the back of my photocopied map. I try my cell phone to let the wife know I still live (8/10 times it does not work). Then I might snaps some pics of my site and wander around a bit and maybe shoot some short video clips for my kids. They like to call me "Survivor Dad".

If I have planned well it is now pitch dark and I go to bed watching the fire die eager for morning to come and start a new day. I absolutely love the early morning.

The worse times are in the winter. January alone can be hard. In a valley darkness starts to settle in around 4:30 so it is time to find a camp. It is absolutely black around 5:30 pm and if you are not allowed fires it can be a bit lonely.

But even for those brief moments asking myself...am I really having fun sitting alone in black woods at 7:30 pm with nothing to do...something always happens the next day to make it all worth it.

Jamie

Edited by jshortt on 06/18/2008 19:47:08 MDT.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
What Is Your Favorite Thing To Do In Camp At The End Of The Day on 06/19/2008 05:04:07 MDT Print View

You know, by the time I have
* found a tent site
* pitched the tent
* got water
* cooked and eaten dinner (3 courses)
* washed up
* cleaned my teeth

a) it is quite dark
b) I am very tired

So guess what: I go to sleep!

Cheers

Richard Matthews
(food) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: What Is Your Favorite Thing To Do In Camp At The End Of The Day on 06/19/2008 07:20:03 MDT Print View

Lay in the hammock reading and listening to my radio. I love the early fall when there is football games on in the evening.

M Blick
(mattblick) - F

Locale: Ohio
End of Day on 06/19/2008 13:01:18 MDT Print View

Whiskey (Bourbon, Scotch, or Irish) and cigars around a campfire are my favorites.. If light/safety allows I might also fish some though I usually do that on whole days that I don't hike.

Edited by mattblick on 06/19/2008 13:06:30 MDT.

David Wills
(willspower3) - F
Re: End of Day on 06/19/2008 18:00:45 MDT Print View

Aside from things like taking a nip, journaling, conversing with friends, and camp chores, I really like to introspect and sort out things. Solo hiking is a great time for it. I also like to take camp time to activley appreciate and observe nature. I would have to say that warming up my belly with some brandy with my buddies tops the list though.

Sean Walashek
(caraz) - F

Locale: bay area
peace on 06/19/2008 19:12:19 MDT Print View

I don't have much expierience solo backpacking. Its usually with a good friend or other, sometimes with a dog. I have gotten into a warm cup of yogi beadtime tea :) and a couple sips of whiskey before bed. I love the way that that little bit of comfort will help me quell the small anxieties of being out and allow me to really deflate. If I'm being honest 5 of the last 5 overnights I've done start after dark. I like night hiking and backpacking a lot. 70% of my nights out are spent away from bears and predators so I enjoy the peace of mind that comes with not worrying about my food. Then I will usually answer natures call, then once back in my bag I can just lay and think and talk, but I'm ready to sleep whenever I feel like it. Looking up at the stars I let the tea and whiskey do its thing. I really like waking up and only seeing stars, I think outside with no shelter is when I get my most relaxing sleep.

Jack H.
(Found) - F

Locale: Sacramento, CA
post hike on 06/25/2008 07:36:23 MDT Print View

sex