Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
What Is Your Favorite Thing To Do In Camp At The End Of The Day
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
What Is Your Favorite Thing To Do In Camp At The End Of The Day on 06/18/2008 09:30:57 MDT Print View

I know there is related threads to this but this is a tad more specific.

When I get into camp, do all my chores, and have dinner, I really like to sit down and watch what is left with the alpineglow and sip some single malt scotch. Mind you, just enough to take the worries away and put a smile on my face. The combination of being in the backcountry and having some nice scotch makes the troubles all go away!!!!

Richard Lyon
(richardglyon) - MLife

Locale: Bridger Mountains
Sundowner on 06/18/2008 09:45:30 MDT Print View

I'm a bourbon man myself, and I often try to get a bit of flyfishing in after dinner, otherwise I agree completely. Brightens up a miserable day or is the perfect cap on a glorious backcountry setting. A perfect attitude adjuster.

Art Sandt
(artsandt) - F
Re: What Is Your Favorite Thing To Do In Camp At The End Of The Day on 06/18/2008 13:35:55 MDT Print View

I like to make a fire and eat dinner sitting in front of it. Even if I only gather enough sticks to make it last 25 minutes--in fact, most of my backpacking fires last less than an hour and are pretty small--as long as a fire is burning while I'm eating dinner, I'm happy. (it helps distract from the taste and consistency of dehydrated meals...)

Edited by artsandt on 06/18/2008 13:36:34 MDT.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Lol on 06/18/2008 13:43:43 MDT Print View

Sit down. And do nothing for a few minutes.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: What Is Your Favorite Thing To Do In Camp At The End Of The Day on 06/18/2008 13:47:44 MDT Print View

rest...eat...converse with tripmates

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: What Is Your Favorite Thing To Do In Camp At The End Of The Day on 06/18/2008 14:05:38 MDT Print View

I like to have a small fire. I tend to get antsy just sitting around so gathering sticks and keeping the fire going keeps me occupied.

On trips where I have a partner I enjoy sitting around a small fire and talking or telling stories.

To be honest, I don't like being in camp much. I don't like being idle and sometimes it feels like I'm just burning time until bed-time, especially when I'm out solo. I get much more relaxation (mentally at least) from the walking aspect of hiking, not so much being in camp.

Adam

Randall Miller
(speyguy) - F

Locale: Cascadia
Favorite thing to do...... on 06/18/2008 14:06:34 MDT Print View

Yeah.........single malt with a splash of water. Yah-hooooo!

Scott Ashdown
(waterloggedwellies) - F

Locale: United Kingdom
"What Is Your Favorite Thing To Do In Camp At The End Of The Day" on 06/18/2008 15:02:08 MDT Print View

If fires are allowed,then definitely a small camp fire to poke, with a hot cup of tea and if they are there, some good friends to discuss life, the universe and everything with. Watching a good sunset on stunning scenery rounds off a great day. Oh... and did i mention food and finally taking my footwear off!

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Re: What Is Your Favorite Thing To Do In Camp At The End Of The Day on 06/18/2008 15:28:26 MDT Print View

- Enjoy the satisfying feeling that a nice warm cup of soup gives me as I watch the sunset or stars.
- Have a nip of something while talking with friends.
- Talk about the day's hike (or anything) with my son and daughter.
- Read the map to find out where I really was during the day.

Tom

Edited by TomClark on 06/18/2008 15:29:32 MDT.

Casey Bowden
(clbowden) - MLife

Locale: Berkeley Hills
What Is Your Favorite Thing To Do In Camp At The End Of The Day on 06/18/2008 15:44:49 MDT Print View

> To be honest, I don't like being in camp much. I don't like being idle and sometimes it feels like I'm just burning time until bed-time, especially when I'm out solo. I get much more relaxation (mentally at least) from the walking aspect of hiking, not so much being in camp.

Adam,

I couldn't have put it better myself. Anyone out there have tips for Adam and myself regarding relaxing at the end of the day, especially when alone?

Christopher Holden
(back2basics) - F - MLife

Locale: Southeast USA
Re: What Is Your Favorite Thing To Do In Camp At The End Of The Day on 06/18/2008 15:55:06 MDT Print View

Adam/Casey,
Try fishing.
Read a book.
Write a letter or document your journey and observations.
Take up amateur astronomy. Knowing constellations and when/where to look for them will also improve your navigation skills should you ever take on hiking at night.
When all else fails, sudoku!

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
. on 06/18/2008 15:57:09 MDT Print View

Edited by DaveT on 11/20/2014 21:03:38 MST.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
What is your favorite thing to do in camp at end of the day on 06/18/2008 18:10:35 MDT Print View

Have good long stretch and a toke.

Jamie Shortt
(jshortt) - MLife

Locale: North Carolina
What Is Your Favorite Thing To Do In Camp At The End Of The Day on 06/18/2008 19:39:06 MDT Print View

I'm with Adam, Casey, and Dave. As a solo hiker camp time can be hard once everything is done. What I normaly try to do is hike as long as possible getting to camp around dusk.

Once I find a site I typically start with getting my water treated so it can set at least 30 minutes. Then I get to work on camp setup...tarp & kitchen area (some distance away). If fire is allowed I gather wood and prepare a place to sit. Next comes setting up the bear bag (just the line in the tree suspended by a rock in a mesh bag).

Now it is time for dinner. I rest a few while the stove is heating water. I get my food rehydrating and if it is cold I hug the pouch for warmth. I eat, enjoy tea, and when done hang my food and kicthen stuff.

Now I start my fire. I usually enjoy some whiskey or everclear in lemon drink to settle me down and play with the coals. Next I write about what happened that day on the back of my photocopied map. I try my cell phone to let the wife know I still live (8/10 times it does not work). Then I might snaps some pics of my site and wander around a bit and maybe shoot some short video clips for my kids. They like to call me "Survivor Dad".

If I have planned well it is now pitch dark and I go to bed watching the fire die eager for morning to come and start a new day. I absolutely love the early morning.

The worse times are in the winter. January alone can be hard. In a valley darkness starts to settle in around 4:30 so it is time to find a camp. It is absolutely black around 5:30 pm and if you are not allowed fires it can be a bit lonely.

But even for those brief moments asking myself...am I really having fun sitting alone in black woods at 7:30 pm with nothing to do...something always happens the next day to make it all worth it.

Jamie

Edited by jshortt on 06/18/2008 19:47:08 MDT.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
What Is Your Favorite Thing To Do In Camp At The End Of The Day on 06/19/2008 05:04:07 MDT Print View

You know, by the time I have
* found a tent site
* pitched the tent
* got water
* cooked and eaten dinner (3 courses)
* washed up
* cleaned my teeth

a) it is quite dark
b) I am very tired

So guess what: I go to sleep!

Cheers

Richard Matthews
(food) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: What Is Your Favorite Thing To Do In Camp At The End Of The Day on 06/19/2008 07:20:03 MDT Print View

Lay in the hammock reading and listening to my radio. I love the early fall when there is football games on in the evening.

M Blick
(mattblick) - F

Locale: Ohio
End of Day on 06/19/2008 13:01:18 MDT Print View

Whiskey (Bourbon, Scotch, or Irish) and cigars around a campfire are my favorites.. If light/safety allows I might also fish some though I usually do that on whole days that I don't hike.

Edited by mattblick on 06/19/2008 13:06:30 MDT.

David Wills
(willspower3) - F
Re: End of Day on 06/19/2008 18:00:45 MDT Print View

Aside from things like taking a nip, journaling, conversing with friends, and camp chores, I really like to introspect and sort out things. Solo hiking is a great time for it. I also like to take camp time to activley appreciate and observe nature. I would have to say that warming up my belly with some brandy with my buddies tops the list though.

Sean Walashek
(caraz) - F

Locale: bay area
peace on 06/19/2008 19:12:19 MDT Print View

I don't have much expierience solo backpacking. Its usually with a good friend or other, sometimes with a dog. I have gotten into a warm cup of yogi beadtime tea :) and a couple sips of whiskey before bed. I love the way that that little bit of comfort will help me quell the small anxieties of being out and allow me to really deflate. If I'm being honest 5 of the last 5 overnights I've done start after dark. I like night hiking and backpacking a lot. 70% of my nights out are spent away from bears and predators so I enjoy the peace of mind that comes with not worrying about my food. Then I will usually answer natures call, then once back in my bag I can just lay and think and talk, but I'm ready to sleep whenever I feel like it. Looking up at the stars I let the tea and whiskey do its thing. I really like waking up and only seeing stars, I think outside with no shelter is when I get my most relaxing sleep.

Jack H.
(Found) - F

Locale: Sacramento, CA
post hike on 06/25/2008 07:36:23 MDT Print View

sex