Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Notes from the Field: SuperUltraLight Hammocking on the Black Forest Trail in Pennsylvania

Display Avatars Sort By:
john Tier
(Peter_pan) - M

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA
breathability on 10/22/2005 06:20:38 MDT Print View

Carol, et al,

The moisture you found is because the closed cell pad does not breath ( even open cell pads have more limited air flows). It was in all probability limited to between you and the pad area. It does not readily evapoate during the night because of your body on top and the non-porous pad on the bottom. Microporous poly itself is highly breathable, it is very good at passing evapoative sweat from a resting body, either directly or in combination with breathable insulation. To date, no users of the Weather Shield with quilts have reported condensation in the morning.

For comparision, silnyl is definately lighter. There have been, however, posted reports on Whiteblaze and Hammock Camping at yahoo of condensation when using silnyl shells/tacos. In all fairness they cite this condensation as minor.

To be clear, as owner/designer I'm biased.

Carol Crooker
(cmcrooker) - MLife

Locale: Desert Southwest, USA
Breathability on 10/22/2005 07:02:32 MDT Print View

Yep, I wasn't clear about that - I meant that the foam caused the moisture since it's not breathable, and the same problem might arise with silnylon. I didn't have any problem with moisture with the Weathershield alone.

Edited by cmcrooker on 10/22/2005 07:04:08 MDT.