newbie question - pb leather?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jane McMichen
(jmcmichen) - F

Locale: Maine, DownEast Coast
newbie question - pb leather? on 06/17/2008 18:01:59 MDT Print View

Can peanut butter (or other nut butter)be made into a leather - perhaps with the addition of honey and some powdered supplement like cocoa or weight gain formula? Or would the oil in it make that unfeasible?

Got any high calorie, nutritional leather recipes you want to share? Moose goo is already on the list.

I just got my dehydrator, so I'm curious. Thanks in advance for your help.

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
peanut butter dip on 06/17/2008 20:55:46 MDT Print View

Jane I make a peanut butter dip that can be dried and is quite nutritious. PB doesn't dry well by itself because of the fat content. I did find a way to turn it into a powder using tapioca maltodextrin but that didn't save any weight.

If you send an email to laurie@wildernesscooking.com I can send you the dip recipe.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Nut butters on 06/17/2008 21:36:36 MDT Print View

My feeling with nuts and nut butters is they are worth the weight to carry - due to their powerhouse of fat/calories/protein :-) If you haven't seen them, check out Justins Nut Butters in the single serving packs. Good stuff.

Jane McMichen
(jmcmichen) - F

Locale: Maine, DownEast Coast
nuts on 06/18/2008 04:38:46 MDT Print View

Thanks ladies. BTW I'm scouring both of your websites too, so I'm looking forward to lots of ideas. I'll be getting your books as soon as I can, and Laurie I'll email you when I get off work today for that recipe.

Munch on!