10:50 stop- 10 minute break- snack
11:00 start
11:50 stop- 10 minute break- snack
12:00 start
12:50 stop- 1 hr. lunch break
1:50 start
2:40 stop- 10 minute break- snack
2:50 start
3:40 stop- 1 hr. cook dinner, we are in bear contry.
4:40 start
5:30 stop- 10 minute break- snack
5:40 start
6:30-7:00 stop, make camp

7+ hours of hiking time.
3 hours of rest time.
Thoughts, ideas, different schedules would be welcome. I want to enjoy my hike but also do 12-15 miles minimum.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
jmt hiking. on 06/17/2008 10:12:38 MDT Print View

if you are climbing a steep section, you might go 1.5 miles a hour. if you are cruising along on flats or easy downhill, you will go 3 miles per hour. if you've got 7 hours of hiking time, you'll easily do your 12+ miles every day. no need to rush in the high sierra!

i don' schedule my breaks too much when i'm hiking. just try to get going early, get some good miles done before lunch, take a long (or really long!) break/nap, and do some more after. take breaks at water, passes, pretty spots, etc.

Edited by DaveT on 06/17/2008 10:13:46 MDT.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
PCT Happy Hiking Schedule for 110 Miles on 06/17/2008 10:37:38 MDT Print View

On a multi-week hike, your body will adjust your schedule for you automatically. On a short hike like this, you can do it for yourself.

Personally, the only scheduled event is to be on the trail by 6:00 am. I eat intermittently as I'm walking, with no scheduled stops. My legs tell me when they want to stop for 60 seconds or so. Across time, all those stops probably add up to the sum of your scheduled breaks.

I set my hiking plan so as to reach a water source during the late afternoon, and I fix and eat dinner there. An hour sounds about right. Then I hike on until I either reach my goal (be that a location or X miles) for that day at whatever time that happens to be and make camp. On the odd occasion when it becomes apparent that I will not reach either, or the location is not conducive to camping, I'll go on until the first decent potential campsite appears. Bedtime!

Wandering Bob

Gail Lusk
(AlohaTink) - F

Locale: In the Middle of No Where!
Aloha! on 06/17/2008 11:17:54 MDT Print View

Sounds like a good plan...early start is always great for it gets HOT especially once above the tree line.

Only thing I would change for sure is the quitting time...unless you do not mind setting up camp in the dark.
It gets dark earlier in the high sierras.

Lunch breaks are great ...we always took ours so in the heat of the day we could cool off by either the river or a lake :)

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
For me.... on 06/17/2008 15:24:17 MDT Print View

In summer I usually get up well before sunrise and am hiking right near when the sun just starts to poke. We usually save climbs for first thing in the morning so we get them done before it is super hot. We usually take a break and maybe swimming mid day then go on. It varies on where we hike though and the weather. The swimming/2 hour lunch really restores one. Then hike till evening and make camp :-)