November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Maah Daah Hey
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dustin Cooper
(dustin.cooper) - F
Maah Daah Hey on 06/16/2008 23:13:46 MDT Print View

I am planning a thru-trip of this 100-mile trip sometime in late summer early fall. More than likely September. I am very new to hiking so I'm not sure how long this trip will take. I am thinking 10 days? Any advice? And does anybody have an appropriate gear listing for my trip?

Thanks in advance,

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Maah Daah Hey on 06/17/2008 08:55:44 MDT Print View

There was a winter discussion about the Maah Daah Hey that might whet your appetite. View it here:

In terms of gear you will find that any typical summer/fall list will suffice on the plains of North Dakota. It is my understanding that the trail is well-maintained with ample camping and watering opportunities to facilitate standard lightweight backpacking gear.

I look forward to a trip report as the Maah Daah Hey is in my top five hikes-to-do-in-the-next-few-years list.