Are You Spreading the UL Gospel?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: Are you spreading the UL Gospel on 07/03/2008 12:35:50 MDT Print View

I try spreading the SUL Gospel here and it doesn't work!

I've talked to one person up in the high Sierra's with a 50 something pound pack on who wanted to lighten up because he had several problems with his current configuration.

With every possible and simple solution I gave him, he came up with a dumb reason not to do it.

So the same goes here with talking about SUL.
If we're not going to get it, then why should they???

Andrew :-)
(terra) - F

Locale: Sydney, Australia.
Re: Are You Spreading the UL Gospel? on 07/15/2008 22:33:00 MDT Print View

"Spreading the gospel" makes it sound like we are one-eyed zealots who believe in dogma and want to make everyone just like us.

Do I spray on about my thoughts on UL backpacking?
Not by telling only by showing.
At first I wanted share the info with a couple of my "outdoor activity" friends who I hiked and camped with. I sent links to Roger Caffins site and BPL etc. Explaining the benefits of lightness. But the core of it pretty much fell on deaf ears or the people focussed only on the light gear (more toys, more toys) not the philosophy and technique.
Now I just turn up to hikes and do what I do
( = show, not tell).
The friends packs may be a bit lighter now, and I think they plan a bit better too.
People see truth better by observation and finding their own way. There is no one perfect way despite many who try to impose their philosphy and preach a best practice.

"Vive la difference".

I don't mind waiting around for people who are slow due to heavy packs, it balances my personality and forces a pause.
If I want to really move quick, I go alone or pick the right partner.

As said above, I too am happy that a lot of people view backpacking as heavy hardwork and don't stray too far into the wilderness. Many who benefit financially from backpacking would prefer an unlimited increase in market but ultimately that will kill the natural resource and therefore kill the market. Some state that a certain mass is required to be heard in land preservation and access rights issues. True, but we must also acknowledge that the host can only support so many.

Lead by example.
Tread lightly... and speak softly.

dan mchale
(wildlife) - MLife

Locale: Cascadia
Go a spell on 07/20/2008 14:11:35 MDT Print View

Edited by wildlife on 07/21/2008 18:52:30 MDT.

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
Spreading the word... on 07/21/2008 01:02:25 MDT Print View

I don't talk about my pack weight unless somebody asks and I find that rarely happens. I think most people assume that I'm a long distance day hiker because they usually don't comment on why my pack is so small. I hike with some fairly seasoned traditional backpackers and other than the odd comment like "I wonder what he forgot?" I don't get asked any questions. I do know that I have had an effect on some of them because over the last few years they have been commenting that their pack weight is getting lighter. I did ask one guy if he'd like to try my pack on and he said "no". I gave up trying after that.

Peter Macfarlane
(ptc) - F

Locale: The Scottish Highlands
Spreading the joy on 08/17/2008 18:16:52 MDT Print View

The UK is a little behind when it comes to light hiking, but I do my best with a regular column in the UK's Trail Magazine. Around the same time as started in Trail I started my blog which covers light hiking and a lot of other stuff.
The online community of forums and blogs is where the knowledge sharing is over here, very healthy it is too.

I get a lot of positive feedback to mix with a little of the negative as well, there's always sceptics which I don't mind. It's the blanket "No, you're talking rubbish" that annoys me. Criticism is only valid from experience, not opinion.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Gospel........ on 09/23/2008 15:58:44 MDT Print View

I started changing myself, when I realized that advancing age and a lack of physical fitness made it impossible to do the silly things I did 35 years ago. Now I have a captive audience of Boy Scouts, and I harp on them all the time to always think lighter. One of the other leaders claimed I have ruined him, since he was looking at a 3# sleeping bag the other day, and thinking how heavy it was.

And to be frank, I'm kind of surprised at the people who don't want anyone in their wilderness. Numbers of people who go outdoors drop every year, and the number of kids who have seen a wilderness is crashing. That's wrong on so many levels. Surely whatever attracted you to the wild places is a joy worth spreading.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Gospel........ on 09/23/2008 17:28:55 MDT Print View

deleted

Edited by kennyhel77 on 09/23/2008 17:38:09 MDT.

Martin Rye
(rye1966) - F

Locale: UK
Re: Re: Gospel........ on 09/23/2008 17:43:30 MDT Print View

I notice if you hike with those who walk with a heavy load they notice more the difference in your experience of the trip, compared to their experience. This I find provokes them to want to lighten up more than being told the merits of it. Saying that I don't agree with some things being promoted as the way to go light in the UK, like tarps. It is a message that is best shown some times more than preached.