Comet vs. StarLite
Display Avatars Sort By:
Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: .
Comet vs. StarLite on 06/16/2008 07:16:38 MDT Print View

I've been looking at going from my Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian to a Six Moon pack but I'm having a hard time deciding between the Comet and the Starlite. I'm barely filling the Nimbus I have now to the top of the main bag (not using the extension collar) during winter and have even less in it during summer so I'm looking to downsize. I don't expect my pack weight to ever be over 35 lbs and that would only be with a lot of food and water. I think both packs use the same suspension in which case the Comet is probably better since it's a little more compressable but I'm not 100% on that. Any feedback is of course greatly appreciated.

Richard Matthews
(food) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
volume on 06/16/2008 07:53:00 MDT Print View

The suspension is the same. I prefer a large pack then let my sleeping bag consume the extra volume. Somepeople like to have a small pack, but the weight of the extra pack cloth is only 1 oz.

It may be a matter of style.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Comet vs. StarLite on 06/16/2008 09:59:36 MDT Print View

Call SMD direct at 503-430-2303.

Ask Ron or Branden Moak for their suggestions.

Personally, we went with the new Traveller. My wife has a sub-15 inch torso length and the adjustable suspension made all the difference for her vs. the Essence.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Comet vs. StarLite on 06/16/2008 12:04:47 MDT Print View

I love my Starlite for, among other reasons, what Richard mentions about quilt loft.

That said, it is BIG - I gather you like smaller, so the Comet is probably more up your alley. No personal experience there, however.

Todd

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: .
Thanks on 06/16/2008 12:18:59 MDT Print View

I actually think I'm going to go with the Starlite for the external pad access. That is one of the things I love about the Mariposa I used previously.