Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Making a pack frame
Display Avatars Sort By:
Eric Carlsen
(cooleric1234) - F
Making a pack frame on 06/15/2008 15:03:26 MDT Print View

I have a GoLite Pinnacle and I've read somewhere on these forums about making a frame using that material that election signs are made of and some types of rods. I'm having a hard time finding the post(s) that talk about this, can anyone point me to it or explain it?

It seems like I read you just buy the rods and bend them then put them in the gaps that exist in this material. But it seems to me that they would fall through the bottom and puncture or wear the bottom of the pack. Any suggestions for glue or something to plug up either end to prevent this from happening?

Richard Nisley
(richard295) - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Making a pack frame on 06/15/2008 16:10:11 MDT Print View

Eric,

The recommended rods are 7071 aluminum. The perimeter can be sewn, taped, or glued.

Eric Carlsen
(cooleric1234) - F
Making a pack frame on 06/15/2008 16:49:15 MDT Print View

Thanks for the tip.

Any more details? Can these be had at regular home improvement stores? What is the type of corrugated material the signs are made of? What kind of glue should one use for the ends to prevent the rods from poking through.

Thanks for any tips you may have.

Ron Rod
(Ron@R2Packs) - F
Making a pack frame on 06/15/2008 20:27:06 MDT Print View

Hi there Eric,

I have a whole bunch of sheets of the corrugated plastic you are talking about. You list that you are located in the Rockies. Are you in the Colorado front range area by any chance? I am in Ft Collins. The sheets are light, but expensive to ship because of there size (24"x36" or 24" by 18"). The rods can be most any metal that will keep its shape. I have aluminum and steel. I buy the wire by the coil. Steel is heavier but you need few rods for the same stiffness. Im not exactly sure where the break even point is.

To keep the wire from poking through the bottom, you do not actually need to add anything. The key is to cut the rods 1/2" - 3/4" shorter than the length of the plastic sheet. Then push the rod into the tunnel so that it is recessed about 1/4" on both ends. Then bend the sheet over the edge of a counter or over your thigh. The bends will keep the rods in place.

Ive used these types of frames quite a bit. Let me know if you have any other questions. If you are interested in the sheets you can email me at ron at r2packs dot com.

Eric Carlsen
(cooleric1234) - F
Making a pack frame on 06/15/2008 21:36:07 MDT Print View

Thanks for the great tips Ron. I do live in the Denver area. We'll be taking a trip up to Rocky Mountain Park around the fourth (along with the rest of the state, from what I hear :-) I'll shoot you a private email soon if I have more questions of if there's a possibility of buying some of those materials from you.

Ron Rod
(Ron@R2Packs) - F
Re: Making a pack frame on 06/15/2008 22:37:13 MDT Print View

Eric
Please do shoot me an email. I will be in SW Colorado on a trip from the 1st-8th of July. I leave for Nepal on the 14th of July until the first week of August.

So it looks like we will have to meet up before the 4th if you need it for that trip. Ill keep an eye out for your email.