BPL RANK
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
BPL RANK on 06/14/2008 13:09:26 MDT Print View

This really is not a big deal-BUT I have been a 2.26 rank for 4 days now with a lot of forum activity. In the commuinty Gear Lists I have not moved up or down. Just wondering? Is it just me? The ranking is kinda of fun to watch your forum activity. I have logged In- logged out- Refreshed- Am I doing something wrong.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: BPL RANK on 06/16/2008 11:42:01 MDT Print View

LOL, just try letting your subscription lapse -- your ranking will drop to a mere fraction 0.xx. You can post a hundred post every day and never get anywhere near a 1.

The ranking is a joke, and after a while, not even kinda fun to watch. Totally meaningless due to some funky algorithm that places BPL subscriptions far, far above all else. Luckily, it's also harmless.

P. P.
(toesnorth) - F

Locale: PNW
Re: "BPL RANK" on 06/16/2008 11:44:10 MDT Print View

Hmmm. I'd forgotten all about it but after you mentioned it I thought I'd take a look.
I think mine went down. :-)

Sven Klingemann
(svenklingemann) - F
Re: Re: BPL RANK on 06/16/2008 11:45:07 MDT Print View

I also bought the dyneema air cord on BPL instead of the nano one - rank went down by 0.2 right away. Penalty for choosing something heavier. :-)

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

BPL Rank on 06/16/2008 15:33:30 MDT Print View

So the ranking system is a big joke!! Then what's the point to have it anyways? I actually thought I was doing some good-giving advice and such. Waste of time-WOT. What abou the community gear list? WOT
Goodluck people.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
bpl rank. on 06/16/2008 15:43:34 MDT Print View

there was a discussion about this a while back, and it was clear to me that it doesn't make much sense. and it wasn't ever explained what it is based on anyway.

seems like it should just be an obvious, transparent formula that gives people a general metric of how involved a certain member is, and for how long. no. of years a member and/or registered, no. of reader reviews, no. of posts, gear list posted?, etc. and other things too? (i wouldn't include "no. of purchases from BPL" or anything like that.)

i'm not sure if it makes sense to differentiate between BPL member and registered "guest" user. seems like BPL thinks so, since your rank will drop a lot if you let your membership lapse.

it remains unclear to me why this isn't just explained to all in a transparent way. i was kinda opposed to including the BPL rank next to every user post, but if it makes sense and is explained clearly to all, i think it can have value, especially to newer users who aren't familiar with individual posters yet.

and hey jay, i have 2.5x as many posts as you, and my BPL Rank is only "1.18" - so don't feel bad... your rank blows mine out of the water! :)

Edited by DaveT on 06/16/2008 15:45:44 MDT.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

BPL RANK on 06/16/2008 17:15:52 MDT Print View

Hey Dave, Thanks for the pep talk- I guess I will just keep at it and enjoy all the informative forums.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: BPL RANK on 06/16/2008 18:24:18 MDT Print View

Yup -- just enjoy the forums.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: bpl rank. on 06/16/2008 19:23:59 MDT Print View

I thought it had something to do with your credit rating?

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
BPL RANK on 06/18/2008 19:28:48 MDT Print View

Every time my ranking gets to 10 I get a free Ti spork and then it starts again from zero.
Franco

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: BPL RANK on 06/18/2008 22:06:26 MDT Print View

LOL, in your dreams, Franco. :)

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

BPL Rank on 06/18/2008 22:56:48 MDT Print View

Hey BPL Staff, I just bought MPI fuel tabs x2, a journal, aquamira and Air Core Pro. Is my rank going to go up?

Joseph Porrello
(jap361971) - F

Locale: Coconut Grove
BPL Rank on 06/19/2008 05:26:39 MDT Print View

I have no actual knowledge on this but perhaps the methodology is kept under wraps so that members cannot finagle the system. I also think it makes the whole idea more interesting being that we are not sure what's driving it.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: BPL Rank on 06/19/2008 08:09:03 MDT Print View

I think it's well known that the first number is how many years you have subscribed to BPL. So if that drives the whole number system, the other two numbers are meaningless if trying to "finagle" the system.

Devin Montgomery
(dsmontgomery) - MLife

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble
BPL Rank what if? on 11/13/2008 13:57:36 MST Print View

I know that the enigma of the BPL ranking system has lost its allure now that it's only listed next to reviews, but I've noticed something recently - Roger Caffin's BPL rank of 6.20 appears to be converging on Ryan Jordan's rank of 6.34. Assuming the regularity of one's posts has something to do with it, Roger's role as forum moderator would suggest that this trend will continue. What if Roger overtakes Ryan? Y2K meltdown? End of Days? Will BPL cease to be in a swift puff of ultralight smoke, cuben fiber and titanium? Should Roger be stopped? Can he be stopped?

Edited by dsmontgomery on 11/13/2008 13:59:47 MST.

Blue _
(lrmblue) - MLife

Locale: Northeast (New England)
Re: BPL Rank what if? on 11/13/2008 15:11:02 MST Print View

Devin wrote: "Roger Caffin's BPL rank of 6.20 appears to be converging on Ryan Jordan's rank of 6.34."

Man, maybe someone should be making book on this.

Wait . . yes . . . I can see it clearly now, the entire BPL ranking system has always just been an elaborate illegal backroom gambling scheme. Are the rumours linking the current international financial situation to excessive institutional speculation on BPL ranking futures true? Can congressional hearings be far behind? Is there a way I can apply for a government secured financial bailout so that I can buy more gear? Stay tuned.

LIBERTAS+PAX PACIS

Huzefa Siamwala
(huzefa) - M
Re: Re: BPL Rank what if? on 11/13/2008 18:26:01 MST Print View

lol!

Roleigh Martin
(marti124) - MLife

Locale: Moderator-JohnMuirTrail Yahoo Group
BPL RANKs -- are they gone or what happened to them? on 02/11/2010 09:39:34 MST Print View

What happened to the BPL Ranks? If one views their profile, it is no longer there. Was there an announcement about this? I can't search and find it. URL?

Thanks!

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: BPL RANKs -- are they gone or what happened to them? on 02/11/2010 09:53:12 MST Print View

Roleigh,
You can still see your rank by clicking on your name at the top of the page by the Log In area. I think they took that off peoples' profiles the day I became a member.

But it seems your own rank is the only one you can see. I completely understand some peoples' aversion to the BPL rank, but it was kinda fun just to see what the algorithm would do from one week to the next....oh well

Edited by T.L. on 02/11/2010 09:55:01 MST.

Roleigh Martin
(marti124) - MLife

Locale: Moderator-JohnMuirTrail Yahoo Group
Re: Re: BPL RANKs -- are they gone or what happened to them? on 02/11/2010 10:21:17 MST Print View

Did they do this without an annoucement? If nobody can see someone's rank, what is the purpose of it anymore?

I preferred the way things were a few months ago. I know if you lapsed your subscription, it got hosed. It would have been nice to allow a "re-instatement" manually of the rank or something, but otherwise, it did give an indicator to newcomers of how long a person's been a BPL participant.