Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Adhesives

Display Avatars Sort By:
David Wills
(willspower3) - F
Adhesives on 06/13/2008 10:24:10 MDT Print View

Does anyone know of adhesives that would be able to stick velcro to nylon permanently and survive washings, stuffings and general trail abuse?

Thanks

Richard Nisley
(richard295) - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Adhesives on 06/13/2008 11:09:51 MDT Print View

David,

McNett Seam Grip is your best option.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Adhesives on 06/13/2008 16:56:50 MDT Print View

Yes, it's called heavy sewing thread.

I haven't had any joy from any adhesives.

Cheers

Graham Williams
(crackers) - F
Re: Adhesives on 06/16/2008 08:26:14 MDT Print View

Be sure to find a nylon based hook and loop product...that will make the bonding process significantly easier. Also, you'll need to do some heavy cleaning of the two faces you're attempting to bond with acetone or another industrial solvent to remove any and all DWR and other coatings.

Scott Van Doeselaar
(vandoe) - MLife

Locale: Southern CA
Adhesives on 06/18/2008 23:15:02 MDT Print View

McNett also makes another product very similar to seam grip called aquaseal for the diving industry. As a bond this stuff works better than seam grip but remains just as flexible.

Edited by vandoe on 06/18/2008 23:15:34 MDT.

Mike Dismuke
(MtnDiz) - F

Locale: "Pineland", NC
Adhesives on 06/23/2008 11:04:36 MDT Print View

I make a little bit of gear on the side, and I've had good luck with McNett products, both Seam Grip and Aqua Seal. Before that was the tried and true Barge cement. All three will dry out to some degree if washed frequently, especially in a machine. But with careful hand-washing you shouldn't have any major problems.

The trick I've found is to apply it to both surfaces, let it set up, then bond it with pressure. You might have to experiment a bit with your adhesive to get the optimum results. Depending on temp/humidity, you may be looking at 30-45 minutes or more.

Surface prep is also huge, like others have suggested. I will use a rapid evaporating cleaner, like lacquer thinner, to clean and slightly soften the base material. Rubbing it in lightly with scotch brite will give the material more "tooth" to bond with.