Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Looking for some Dyneema scraps

Display Avatars Sort By:
Colleen Clemens
(tarbubble) - F

Locale: dirtville, CA
Looking for some Dyneema scraps on 06/13/2008 08:25:23 MDT Print View

Hey, I need a small scrap of Dyneema or something similar. A piece big enough to cut a 12-inch-diameter circle out of would be perfect, but being able to cut (2) 6-inch semicircles will also work. thanks!

mark henley
(flash582) - F - M
Dyneema scraps on 06/13/2008 09:42:58 MDT Print View

You could shop for an old GoLite pack and cut it up

Colleen Clemens
(tarbubble) - F

eek! on 06/13/2008 09:43:57 MDT Print View

i could never cut up a useful pack. maybe if somebody had one that was already trashed.

David Wills
(willspower3) - F
Re: Looking for some Dyneema scraps on 06/13/2008 09:57:23 MDT Print View

I have a piece thats ~14x30". PM me

Brett Tucker
(blister-free) - F

Locale: Puertecito ruins
Re: Re: Looking for some Dyneema scraps on 06/13/2008 11:23:57 MDT Print View

Some of the cottage gear mfg's (not me!) may buy Dyneema direct and in quantity (just about the only way to do it these days). Wouldn't it be a gesture of pure Jove-like magnanimity were one of them to offer up scraps of Dyneema to the BPL membership - or, more angelic yet - cut yardage, as their rolls of fabric diminish toward quantities calculable for purposes of imminent reordering?

As a stopgap to the current dirth of Dyneema from the usual retail sources, I mean.

Colleen Clemens
(tarbubble) - F

Re: Re: Looking for some Dyneema scraps on 06/14/2008 09:53:48 MDT Print View

i PMed you, but i've been told the Pm system here kinda stinks. my mail is tarbubble at yahoo.

David Wills
(willspower3) - F
Re: Re: Re: Looking for some Dyneema scraps on 06/15/2008 09:39:42 MDT Print View

Seems Atlanta isn't the only place with a crumbling infrastructure. I emailed you.

Graham Williams
(crackers) - F
Re: Re: Re: Looking for some Dyneema scraps on 06/16/2008 08:20:49 MDT Print View

Dyneema scraps? Yeah right.

I'm sorry, but at $100 a yard, we save every scrap bigger than an inch by two inches to find a use for elsewhere...

Now, if you guys are talking about "Dyneema Ripstop" aka Cordura with a Dyneema Ripstop, that would be a significantly different story. For instance, I've got about 48 old packs that I'd be glad to unload for like $30 plus $5 S&H that you could take apart for the materials...

Colleen Clemens
(tarbubble) - F

thank you, David on 06/19/2008 15:18:12 MDT Print View

I got the scrap from David today. Thank you very much, David. I am hoping this tent will end up being the last family backpacking tent we will ever need.

Crackers, a big "oops" from me. I did not want pure Dyneema, but the Dyneema ripstop that you mentioned. thank goodness David understood what i so un-clearly said!

David Wills
(willspower3) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: Looking for some Dyneema scraps on 06/19/2008 17:37:35 MDT Print View

48 packs for $35? Do you have any pictures?

Huzefa Siamwala
(huzefa)
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Looking for some Dyneema scraps on 06/19/2008 19:23:58 MDT Print View

why kill a good pack when you can buy dyneema ripstop by yard?

White Widow Spectra Ripstop $17.95/yd
http://www.seattlefabrics.com/nylons.html#white%20widow

PowerGrid™ Nylon with Spectra® 500 Denier coated Ripstop Nylon. $15.99
http://www.rockywoods.com/durable_nylon.htm

David I think he meant $35 per pack... :)

Edited by huzefa on 06/19/2008 19:29:52 MDT.

Brett Tucker
(blister-free) - F

Locale: Puertecito ruins
Re: Looking for some Dyneema scraps on 06/19/2008 20:49:40 MDT Print View

The 500D stuff is pretty heavy and stiff compared with the 200D used on most commercial packs.

Also, proceed with an abundance of caution when buying cut yardage from SF, as they typically won't take it back just because "oops, this isn't what I thought it was."

Huzefa Siamwala
(huzefa)
Re: Re: Looking for some Dyneema scraps on 06/19/2008 21:36:31 MDT Print View

Brett, thanks for the info.

David Wills
(willspower3) - F
Re: Looking for some Dyneema scraps on 06/20/2008 10:10:03 MDT Print View

hehe, doesnt hurt to dream. I was wondering how you could ship 70 lbs of stuff for $5 :)

Graham Williams
(crackers) - F
Re: Looking for some Dyneema scraps on 07/01/2008 14:09:22 MDT Print View

I have 48 of these really old packs. They're shaped more or less the same as the current ones we make, but made with 210d Cordura with Dyneema Ripstop on the side panels and 500d on the back panel and the crampon pouch. And I would be glad to sell somebody one pack for $30 plus the shipping and handling costs that you could take apart...I'd probably rip one of the seams or something before sending the thing out. Shoot me an email, it's in my profile...

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Looking for some Dyneema scraps on 12/31/2008 14:49:30 MST Print View

Hi Graham

It would be appreciated if you could disclose your commercial affiliation when selling something like this. If you feel that you don't want that affiliation mentioned in conjunction with an offer like this ... hum, OK.

Cheers