Stretch thread and baffle construction
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jeff Cadorin
(JeffCadorin) - F

Locale: paper beats rock
Stretch thread and baffle construction on 06/12/2008 17:49:28 MDT Print View

Anyone have experience sewing with elastic thread? I am considering messing around with some stretch baffling like the ss sleeping bags.

I am thinking that you want to sew the stitches with the elastic pulled tight so that when it relaxes it compresses the baffle?

Do you use the stretch thread on both bobbin and main spool or do you only want to use the thread on one side of the stitch?

And finally(for now) does anyone recommend any brands of this stuff?

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Stretch thread and baffle construction on 06/13/2008 01:08:28 MDT Print View

Hi Jeff

Not that easy trying to sew with the stuff. You have two options:

What many people do is a bit of a zigzag with the elastic thread under the stitching. This is fairly easy.

You can have it on the bobbin underneath - "Lastex" thread. I have not tried this myself. You might need to adjust the lower tension?

Cheers

Jeff Cadorin
(JeffCadorin) - F

Re: Re: Stretch thread and baffle construction on 06/13/2008 03:49:17 MDT Print View

"What many people do is a bit of a zigzag with the elastic thread under the stitching. This is fairly easy."

Can you please elaborate a little Roger?

I found this stuff..

http://www.albertzoll.com/product_info.php?products_id=149

I am going to try and locate this stuff or similar locally. I think experimentation is going to shed some light. If I knew what I was doing I dont think this project would appeal to me as much lol

Roger Caffin

Re: Re: Re: Stretch thread and baffle construction on 06/13/2008 04:08:30 MDT Print View

Hi Jeff

Certainly. This photo from my Elna sewing machine manual shows the elastic thread loaded onto the bobbin, and what the result looks like.
Elastic on the bobbin

This next photo shows a simpler way of doing it which may not produce such even results, if the elastic slips along the stitching.
Sewing the elastic under a zigzag

Caution: I have used neither, but I know the Elna manual is fairly reliable.

> http://www.albertzoll.com/product_info.php?products_id=149
Yes, that stuff looks like what you need for the bobbin version. You could use it or somewhat heavier 1 mm 'hat elastic' for the second version.

However, I think you should also consider using some of this:
http://www.albertzoll.com/index.php?cPath=267_270
or maybe some of this:
http://www.albertzoll.com/index.php?cPath=267_271
in your creation :-)

Cheers

Jeff Cadorin
(JeffCadorin) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Stretch thread and baffle construction on 06/13/2008 10:58:14 MDT Print View

Thanks Roger, great pic of how the stitching is supposed to look.

When I load the elastic on the bobbin I will pull it and stretch load it. I am going to assume that tightening the bobbin tension will help to keep the tension on the thread as I sew it?

Anyone own a montbell SS that can take some pics of the baffle construction? or anyone in the sacramento area know a store I can see one at?

Thanks
Jeff

p.s. hey Roger, I cant wait to feel that rabbit trim on my sleeping bag. Dual use if I can fashion it to make me look like an animal, jump out from the bush's and bring back sasquatch rumors lol

Roger Caffin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Stretch thread and baffle construction on 06/13/2008 16:59:50 MDT Print View

> When I load the elastic on the bobbin I will pull it and stretch load it.
Don't bother - that won't work. The bobbin spins freely in the holder.

> I am going to assume that tightening the bobbin tension will help to keep the tension on the thread as I sew it?
There is a tension device for the thread as it comes off the bobbin. Yes, you might need to adjust that for sure: experiment.

How about the boas?