Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Energy Drink vs. Coffee
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ross Polete
(rdpolete) - F

Locale: Midwest Plain State
Energy Drink vs. Coffee on 06/11/2008 09:48:28 MDT Print View

Just wondering how many fellow hikers out there use energy drinks either in replacement of coffee or in conjunction with coffee, and if you do use an energy drink which product do you use?

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Energy Drink vs. Coffee on 06/11/2008 10:18:25 MDT Print View

Beer!!! just kidding- the first and only RED BULL.

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Locale: South Florida
Re: Energy Drink vs. Coffee on 06/11/2008 11:02:34 MDT Print View

In my view, I don't think of coffee as interchangable with an energy drink. I won't hike without coffee. But the coffee isn't an energy boost, in my mind. It's the thing that reminds me that I'm different from the other wildlife in the woods! It's that bit of civilization that I can take with me! It's the connection to my daily routine of a warm & cozy moment of the day!

I guess you can tell that I like my coffee! :)

As to energy drinks, I don't take them. Don't like them at home either. I just try to eat as well as possible on the trail.

Martin Wilde
(marty.wilde@gmail.com) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Other stimulants on 06/11/2008 15:16:32 MDT Print View

I have been using the Jackie Chan Green Tea packets as a replacement for my morning coffee/caffiene fix on the trail. One of my buddies mentions they have similiar ingrediants that are in Red Bull - just healthier with the extra dose of antioxidants.

I don't do coffee on the trail as it takes extra time and fuel - I just wait for great town coffee.

Ross Polete
(rdpolete) - F

Locale: Midwest Plain State
Energy Drinks on 06/13/2008 09:50:26 MDT Print View

bump

Monty Montana
(TarasBulba) - MLife

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Re: Energy Drink vs. Coffee on 06/13/2008 12:04:37 MDT Print View

I have to second Michael: I avoid energy drinks but do savor a hot cup-o-joe in the morning. Kind of a ritual thing to warm my hands in the morning cold as I contemplate what the new day may bring. However, I always bring along a small zip-lock of Gatorade or a few packets of E-mergency, not so much for stimulants, as they contain none, but for the sodium/potassium replacement, which can provide a seeming energy boost.

Vick Hines
(vickrhines) - F

Locale: Central Texas
Re: Re: Energy Drink vs. Coffee on 06/13/2008 18:33:28 MDT Print View

Monty,
I agree about the electrolyte replacement value of some energy drinks. I prefer the ones with no sugar and improve their insipid taste with unsweetened Koolaid. In really hot weather I add salt substitute (potassium chloride) and table salt. Pounding pure water in hot weather can leave you with an electrolyte deficit that can be at least uncomfortable.

Douglas Johnson
(Sponge) - M

Locale: PNW
Coffee vs. energy drinks on 06/15/2008 20:16:54 MDT Print View

Coffee has never agreed with my stomach, so I've always loathed the morning. I've become addicted to Rockstar energy drinks! Not any of them, but specifically the sugar free diet version...no sugar in that bad boy and I think 160mg of caffeine if my memory serves correctly. I've actually thought about finding a pressurized "keg" of this stuff, so I don't have to worry about cans! I'm an addict =)

Jason Griffin
(JGriffinRN) - F
Energy on 07/11/2008 01:52:26 MDT Print View

Red Bull & Coffee = Arrythmias and Crash & Burn.

I've settled for this stuff called FRS Healthy Energy it comes in many forms such as premixed drinks, powder & concentrate, and soft chews. I like the soft chews. The company recommends 1 serving (2 chews or one drink) in the morning and 1 serving in the afternoon. I get by with one serving in the morning and only use it when I need it; it works great when hiking. The main ingredients are quercitin (antioxidant from blueberries, red onions, apples, and cocoa), vitamins, and antioxidants from green tea leaves. (Yeah I read that from the package). It also has a very benign 3-5g of sugars and 20mg of caffein (compared to 80mg for redbull and 100mg for coffee). Hence you get more of a natural and longer lasting energy. I don't get a fast up with a crash; I'll take two chews then about an hour later I'll feel very awake (not wired) and it'll last all day. Good stuff.

Bob Ellenberg
(BobTheBuilder) - F
Energy Drinks on 07/11/2008 08:59:55 MDT Print View

EmergencyC. Nutritious, no weight and lots of flavors. We put two packages per 12 oz. bottle when we start out in the morning and sip throughout the day.

Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Coffee and Tea on 07/11/2008 13:04:47 MDT Print View

I don't function well without either coffee or tea in the morning. It's not the energy factor at all--I've never actually noticed caffeine having an effect on me (until one time way back when I was using it heavily and quit cold turkey...ouch!). I just really enjoy having the hot, dark, rich, bitterish brew in the morning. Livens up my senses. Smells great. Same with teas. Most of the packaged meals I bring, along with summer sausage and cheese, gives me enough salt, though not necessarily the best-balanced electrolytes.

When I need a boost on the trail, first thing I do is stop, chill out, and take a swig of the coldest water I can get. Then I might take a nip from the flask-bracing and beautiful. Chase it with dried cherries and almonds, maybe some m&ms. Works great for me... But hey, what if someone made dehydrated beer?!

Edited by 4quietwoods on 07/11/2008 13:05:21 MDT.

Jason Griffin
(JGriffinRN) - F
Dehydrated Beer on 07/12/2008 21:16:22 MDT Print View

I'm pretty sure they do make beer powder......I think they do it with liquors too. Mix with cold water and drink up. Do a google for it.

starsea starsea
(starsea) - F
Dehydrated Beer? on 07/13/2008 16:53:37 MDT Print View

That just ain't right. lol

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Dehydrated Beer on 07/13/2008 18:14:55 MDT Print View

Ah, but do they include dehydrated alcohol with it?

victoria maki
(clt1953) - F

Locale: northern minnesota
re:beer on 07/14/2008 08:15:35 MDT Print View

brad, how does wine sound? they actually make a wine powder in either red or white to add to cooking. to bad it doesn't contain the alcohol...dang p.s. it's at old spice traders

Edited by clt1953 on 07/14/2008 08:19:00 MDT.

Blue _
(lrmblue) - MLife

Locale: Northeast (New England)
"dehydrated alcohol"--kind of, maybe on 08/05/2008 14:20:38 MDT Print View

The idea for encapsulating alcohol in another substance has been around for some time. The first (backpacking related) rumor of the process that I came across was in Colin Fletcher's "Complete Walker III" Didn't think much of it again until I saw the direction this thread was taking. Took a few minutes to do some checking and voila-- Pulver Spirits . I wonder how heavy? Cheers--perhaps

Edited by lrmblue on 08/05/2008 14:43:18 MDT.

Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Cheers! on 08/05/2008 16:16:30 MDT Print View

Hey, all. I was amazed by the beer powder. And, admittedly, a bit disappointed at the disappearance of some components... The beer powder/wine powder as "spice" thing is kinda interesting, could add a new gourmand twist to backcountry cooking! But straight-up powdered alcohol? Really?

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Cheers! on 08/05/2008 16:33:25 MDT Print View

> But straight-up powdered alcohol? Really?
Would you be interested in buying the Brooklyn Bridge very cheaply?

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Cheers! on 08/05/2008 17:12:45 MDT Print View

"Would you be interested in buying the Brooklyn Bridge very cheaply?"
I saw him first Roger! Besides, my bridge is prettier than yours. I've got a special running through the end of the week on The Golden Gate Bridge. Money back guarantee.
Now where did you say you can buy powdered alcohol??? :]

Blue _
(lrmblue) - MLife

Locale: Northeast (New England)
Powdered vs Deydrated on 08/05/2008 20:39:58 MDT Print View

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I suspect the purpose of the Pulver Spirits Co.(besides perhaps simply raising cash) is to catch people in the assumption that that "powdered," means the same thing as "dehydrated" which some might assume to equal "more concentrated." While it may be possible to encapsulate small amounts of alcohol within some solid powder-small substance (in the case of "powdered alcohol" cyclodextrins are a frequently named possibility) it seems that the whole thing would be like carrying around a whole lot of small flasks each containing very very tiny amounts of alcohol. Kind of like carrying around opals as a backup water supply (although I wouldn't have a clue as to how to get the 3-10% water out of the opals--maybe heat them over my BB stove and distill the steam through a coil of Ti piping). Still, if "powdered alcohol" does become available I'm sure some clever marketer will try to sell it to backpackers, and somewhere some outdoor magazine will endorse it as an outdoor product of the year. Or maybe I'm just being cynical. I think I'll go out for a drink. Cheers. --Oh yeah, as for as "energy drinks" besides coffee: I find chocolate gives a nice boost, particularly a tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa mixed with a cup of hot water and a liquid coffee concentrate (such as Java Juice). As far as drinks like Red Bull and kin--never much liked them.

Edited by lrmblue on 08/05/2008 20:59:45 MDT.