Locale: Montana
Make Your Own Gear: Wide-Brimmed Rain Hat on 06/10/2008 21:40:14 MDT Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Make Your Own Gear: Wide-Brimmed Rain Hat

Mike Wilkie
(spicedoubt) - F

Locale: Catskill Mountains
Wide-Brimmed Rain Hat on 06/11/2008 08:09:35 MDT Print View

I wish I had sewing skills. Like the hat.

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Locale: South Florida
Re: Make Your Own Gear: Wide-Brimmed Rain Hat on 06/28/2008 20:30:23 MDT Print View

OK ... you've got me interested! I think I'm going to make this thing for my wife and me. It's a great looking and functional hat.

I have one question right off the bat, but I'm sure there will be more to follow. What do you use for the "wire" to stiffen the brim? What material and what guage did you use?

I have a Tilley and a Pacific Dorfman wool "cowboy" style hat. I have inpected them and they do not have a wire. They are also packable, which is a very important characteristic! I crush these hats into my backpack or luggage and they pop out in amazingly good shape. with a minute of tugging on them, they look as if they have never been folded.

I would seem to me that a metal wire wouldn't be this resilient; that it would permanently bend out of shape. Also, with many manual bendings to reshape the brim, it would seem that the metal would break from fatigue failure.

I'm looking for some guidance here, help!

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: Make Your Own Gear: Wide-Brimmed Rain Hat on 06/29/2008 03:44:57 MDT Print View

All three of my Tilley's have a wire in the brim end.

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Re: Make Your Own Gear: Wide-Brimmed Rain Hat on 06/29/2008 13:06:53 MDT Print View

John, thanks for pointing that out. I re-checked mine and yes there is a "wire." I'm pretty sure that it is plastic!

I tried bending it but it doesn't hold the bend. I think metal would hold the shape so that leads me to the conclusion that it is plastic.

Does anyone know where a "plastic wire" can be aquired?

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: Make Your Own Gear: Wide-Brimmed Rain Hat on 06/29/2008 14:38:34 MDT Print View

Michael, email Tilley. They may just send you some of what they use?

Eric Noble
(ericnoble) - MLife

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Re: Make Your Own Gear: Wide-Brimmed Rain Hat on 06/29/2008 16:26:06 MDT Print View

Michael, the monofilament line for a weed wacker may work.

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Re: Make Your Own Gear: Wide-Brimmed Rain Hat on 06/29/2008 16:29:57 MDT Print View

Eric, that's a great idea. I believe they make a super heavy duty weed-whacker line for thick grass. I'll bet that would do the trick!

Off to Home Depot for camping supplies,.. huh?

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Re: Make Your Own Gear: Wide-Brimmed Rain Hat on 06/29/2008 16:35:17 MDT Print View

> the monofilament line for a weed wacker may work.

It does, most excellently. I have used it a lot.

cheers

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Make Your Own Gear: Wide-Brimmed Rain Hat on 06/29/2008 16:56:51 MDT Print View

Thanks for the confirmation, Roger!

Ron Rod
(Ron@R2Packs) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Make Your Own Gear: Wide-Brimmed Rain Hat on 06/30/2008 10:06:55 MDT Print View

I used a 16 gauge plastic covered copper wire from Home Depot. The plastic lines will work great. The reason that I used the wire was to help shape the rim into a more cowboy style hat. If you just want a flat brim, then the plastic should do just fine.