Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Chicagoland Hike?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
Chicagoland Hike? on 06/10/2008 06:17:57 MDT Print View

I will find myself in Chicago on business in August. I am utterly unfamiliar with the area. Does anyone have recommendations for good weekend hikes in the Northern Illinois/Indiana or Southern Wisconsin region? A loop would be preferable, perhaps an out-and-back, as I will be using a rental car and know no-one in the area for a shuttle.

Edited by acrosome on 06/11/2008 08:50:30 MDT.

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Bump on 06/19/2008 05:18:22 MDT Print View

Hmm. No love for Chicago?

mitchell stille
(sugarbear) - F

Locale: Upper Midwest
Gary, Indiana on 07/12/2008 11:41:39 MDT Print View

You could hike through Gary, Indiana. It would be a true adventure in the most primal sense. I would take a look at southern Wisconsin. By the time you get out of the 'Chicago-land area' going W, S or E you are looking at a pretty long haul. Wisconsin is your best bet.

mark henley
(flash582) - F - M
Northern Indiana Hike on 07/12/2008 13:49:01 MDT Print View

The Little Calumet trail out of Michigan City through the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore .... Take the South Shore train to the Beverly Shores station. Be sure you have bug dope.

Or you could take the Train to the dunes station and take the short walk north on 49 to Dunes State park ... lots of trails there

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Re: Northern Indiana Hike on 07/30/2008 04:33:03 MDT Print View

Indiana Dunes? Never heard of it! I'll look into it. It sounds like it is likely to be closer than the stuff I'm finding in Wisconsin. Thanks.

Craig Burton
(MissingUtah) - M

Locale: Smoky Mountains
Another thumbs up for the Indiana Dunes on 08/09/2008 07:08:33 MDT Print View

Don't sweat it Dean, I had never heard of the Indiana Dunes myself up until about two weeks ago. Of course curiosity got the best of me, so I did some research and it looks like a really neat place! Made me wish I had gone there during one of my few trips to the Chicago area. A bit busy and touristy I can imagine; but then again, the closest plots of large public lands you will find near Chicago are near St. Paul, Louisville, northern Michigan, or northern Wisconsin. Those drives might be a bit much to swallow for a weekend trip.

mark henley
(flash582) - F - M
Indiana Dunes on 08/09/2008 09:59:02 MDT Print View

The Little calumet trail runs by the old train tracks just a quarter mile from the lake. The real advantage is that there are TONS of trails that run up to the lake from there.

There's also a nice national park campground that is kinda hidden out of the way with lots of walk in sites.

Hot showers are nice.

I lived in Northwest Indiana for 40 years .... there are a few Gems that no one visits because of Gary's bad rep (well deserved I might add). Michigan city is a nice little place to spend a day or two but if you follow the shoreline north through michigan you find some really great places.

Much of the tourist trade is gone now, especially along US 12. If you happen to have a car take the highway to the Indiana dunes exit (route 49) and head north for about 5 miles to route 12 ..... then turn north east twords Michigan. The fall especially is stunning through there. 12 runs right through the heart of the National Lakeshore. Stop at Al and Sally's motel .... a 50's style motel from before the interstates ..... quaint and inexpensive.

mark henley
(flash582) - F - M
Southern Indiana on 08/09/2008 10:00:11 MDT Print View

There are also a lot of backpacking places in southern Indiana and Illinois .... but you'd need a car to drive down.