1/4" nylon strap with quick release?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Michael Skwarczek
(uberkatzen) - F

Locale: Sudamerica
1/4" nylon strap with quick release? on 06/09/2008 17:17:42 MDT Print View

I'm looking to replace several thicker nylon straps that use 'quick release' connectors e.g., top loader closure system, sternum strap. Basically, non-load bearing straps that could stand be a lot lighter. 1/2" are available at REI, but can anyone help source 1/4". Or am I mistaken and they don't exist? Suggestions for alternatives to a quick release would be entertained. Adjustable strap length required.

cheers,
-Michael

Edited by uberkatzen on 06/09/2008 17:19:50 MDT.

G Dup
(lococoyo) - F
Re: 1/4" nylon strap with quick release? on 06/09/2008 19:19:19 MDT Print View

Thru-hiker sells 1/4" flat cord for $0.49/yd but I haven't seen sturdy buckles for it. The smallest side release buckles i've seen are a little over 1/2" wide and made for 3/8" webbing. Take a look at lanyard buckles you might find smaller. I even saw a quick release cylindrical buckle that was shaped/sized like a small bullet for 1/8"-ish cord.

You could make a loop of 1/4" webbing on one side and a snap hook with ladderloc thingie to adjust length on other side. Pretty lame though.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: 1/4" nylon strap with quick release? on 06/09/2008 19:36:55 MDT Print View

I am not aware of anything in the 1/4" size. 1/2" is available to a limited extent, often for pet collars.

You could try mitten hooks, bungee cord, mini-cord locks, ...

For a quick release connector, you can try this. Make a short loop of string for the buckle. Tie a figure of eight knot in the bungee cord. Slip the bungee through the loop and let the loop catch the knot. It works, but is not really adjustable. I have used this to hold an ice axe on my pack instead of the cumbersome buckles.

Cheers

Vick Hines
(vickrhines) - F

Locale: Central Texas
Re: Re: 1/4" nylon strap with quick release? on 06/09/2008 20:52:33 MDT Print View

Last I checked 3/5" was the smallest. Check owfinc.com and
http://www.itwnexus.com/catalog/index.php/dw/oc/a/1/c/116?PHPSESSID=88dd6a60ff66e0834031e61e0bfeecab

Joe Kuster
(slacklinejoe) - MLife

Locale: Flatirons
1/4" nylon strap with quick release?" on 06/09/2008 22:34:35 MDT Print View

edit - sorry, I missed the requirement for it being adjustable.

I recommend trying to find a barrel cord lock depending on your needs.

Edited by slacklinejoe on 06/09/2008 22:36:28 MDT.

Tohru Ohnuki
(erdferkel) - F

Locale: S. California
grosgrain ribbon on 06/11/2008 03:23:04 MDT Print View

Have you looked at using 1/2" grosgrain ribbon? I'm thinking about doing the same thing on some of my gear, it seems like the ladderlocks grip the grosgrain as well as the much thicker standard nylon webbing. You could also use those watchband style quick releases, though they don't appear too strong.

Edited by erdferkel on 06/11/2008 03:23:55 MDT.

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: grosgrain ribbon on 06/12/2008 04:11:09 MDT Print View

gross grain does not grip as well. I used it in an over strap, no good

what i am considering now is 2 gross grains into one buckle for compression and y overstraps

Brian Kelly
(bkelly) - F
no no gros gros on 06/12/2008 08:42:57 MDT Print View

I'm with Tim. Grosgrain generally doesn't grip well in tension lock buckles. There just isn't enough surface variation for the buckle to bite into. Even if you do get it to bite, the release angle is so low as to still render it ineffective.

1/2" is about as small as I've seen for buckles as well.

Tohru Ohnuki
(erdferkel) - F

Locale: S. California
Hmmm on 06/12/2008 16:16:09 MDT Print View

I wonder then if you added a loop of regular nylon strap to a ladderlock it would help the grosgrain grip better? Or someone should start making hardware for it, it seems ideal for compression straps etc.

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: Hmmm on 06/12/2008 20:09:09 MDT Print View

in a new pack i am making i am having to lengths of grosgrain meet at one buckle. the double layer gives plenty of friction for it to work perfect, and you can still adjust each length of webbing without it changing the adjustment of the other.

Rod Lawlor
(Rod_Lawlor) - MLife

Locale: Australia
Line lock tensioner? on 06/14/2008 20:21:09 MDT Print View

By the time you get down to 1/4" you could almost go to cord. Could you then use a line lock tensioner? (Note I've never seen one of these in the flesh, so it may not be an option)

Christopher Holden
(back2basics) - F - MLife

Locale: Southeast USA
Re: Line lock tensioner? on 06/14/2008 21:55:45 MDT Print View

still not in the flesh, but let me know if you need closeup photos of a lineloc tensioner. i've got them for tarp tiedowns.
-chris

Edited by back2basics on 06/14/2008 21:57:11 MDT.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Thanks Roger on 03/11/2012 20:23:47 MDT Print View

Roger,

Thanks for this post about a simple quick release connection. I stumbled upon it today and found it useful for situations where I can count on the line maintaining tension and where an accidental disconnect is not a big deal. Here are two photos showing my implementation of your suggeestion:
here

here

Here's another photo with a bead added to the string. The bead makes the connection a bit more secure than with a knot alone. Of course one could make a bigger knot also but the bead is pretty easy and very light.
here

Here's a photo of multiple beads added to the string. This adds some adjustability to the quick realease set-up. The cord in the photo allows 3 adjustments, 2" apart from each other.
here

In the final photo I've combined your idea with a lineloc for quick release plus adjustability.
here

These ideas may have already been posted because your post is from 2008. If so I apologize for not giving the poster appropriate credit.

Daryl

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
But wait, there's more on 03/12/2012 11:34:09 MDT Print View

Here's a more secure variation using a wafer thin .3 gram plastic washer.

here

here

This device can be made so it won't accidentally unhook by making the cord loop smaller than the washer diameter. Bending the washer allows it to go through the loop. After insertion the washer springs back to shape and won't come out of the loop unless it is bent again.

Edited by lyrad1 on 03/12/2012 11:35:14 MDT.

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
1/4" nylon strap with quick release on 03/12/2012 21:10:37 MDT Print View

Michael,
Linelocs will work fine with both 1.4" grosgrain, or 1/4" webbing of the type often used for tieouts. Just tried - they both worked fine with a lineloc.

A recent thread on this forum provided the link to the GG page offering quick release linelocs.

http://gossamergear.com/wsr-lineloc-buckle.html

There was also another thread discussing the merits of cord vs. tape/webbing for the applications you outlined. Sorry I don't have the link. MO was for webbing, having come to the conclusion that packs, which take more abuse than anything except footwear, should be on the sturdy side. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by scfhome on 03/12/2012 21:16:03 MDT.

David Scheidt
(dscheidt) - F
Re: Re: 1/4" nylon strap with quick release? on 03/12/2012 23:38:33 MDT Print View

I do not have a source, but 1/4 side relase buckles do exist. My pedometer came with one. Well the pedometer side of the buckle is attached a light string, and the other side has 1/4 webbing.

Well, I suppose you could buy the pedometer for the hardware, it's an Ozeri. (I don't remember the model, but I've had two different ones, and they both have had the same lanyard buckle.)

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
1/4 webbing on 03/13/2012 10:26:38 MDT Print View

You can get 1/4" or 3/8" buckles from YKK that they use on some ultralite pack lines, But it not worth it.
Why not purchase 3/8 webbing from rockywoods. Gossamer gear has the ITW /Nexus World line lock Buckles for sale for using a 2.75mm cord for the downs. You need the 3/8" webbing to sew the buckle on.
Terry