Bivys for Active Sleepers
Display Avatars Sort By:
David White
(davidw) - F - M

Locale: Midwest
Bivys for Active Sleepers on 10/16/2005 08:29:23 MDT Print View

I find that especially when backpacking I toss and turn a lot when I sleep -- switching from back to side to stomach.

Like many others I'm trying to lighten my load and have considered switching from my current Tarptent to a bivy/tarp combo; but I'm concerned if a bivy will really work for tossers like myself. I certainly don't want to fork out over $300 for the bivy/tarp combo only to find that it doesn't work for me.

Does anyone have experiences to share or suggestions of features to look for?

Thanks in advance

Edited by davidw on 10/16/2005 08:31:08 MDT.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Bivy for Active Sleepers on 10/16/2005 09:05:24 MDT Print View

I too have that problem. Don't know of any remedies though. Maybe try a Equinox bivy that sells for around $65.? That is what I have and in conjuntion with my tarp and ground cloth it is a nice little shelter system.

Ryan Faulkner
(ryanf) - F

Locale: Mid atlantic, No. Cal
Re: Bivy for Active Sleepers on 10/16/2005 11:39:16 MDT Print View

Mont bell makes a waterproof/breathable bivy made from a stretch material that might work for you

I have also used thier non stretch as well an equinox and they have both worked well in cool rainy conditions

Edited by ryanf on 10/16/2005 11:40:58 MDT.

David White
(davidw) - F - M

Locale: Midwest
Thanks: Bivy for Active Sleepers on 10/17/2005 19:34:38 MDT Print View

Thanks for the suggestions. Although I usually convince myself that I just HAVE to have the best available (i.e. $$$) -- it just ain't always true.

So I took your advice and bought an Equinox bivy which (if it arrives in time) I'll test out this weekend. Now if bivys aren't for me, I only have to explain $60 to my lovely spouse.

And if I DO like the bivy experience (and I hope I do), then maybe in a year or so I'll upgrade to a BMW, MLD, or Montbell solution.

For this trip, I'll take my old, heavy, and too large flat tarp (heck, my Tarptent is lighter than this thing ;-)

Thanks for the suggestions.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Bivys for Active Sleepers on 10/23/2005 18:46:11 MDT Print View

You might check out Mountainlaureldesigns, a small outfit run by Ron Bell. His tarps are topnotch out of the box and he will work with you to come up with a bivy bag that will address your concerns. I, too, am a restless sleeper and his bivy worked fine for me. AND, his prices are very reasonable. For sure you can stay below $300 for a tarp/bivy combo. The website is mountainlaureldesigns.com if this perks up your ears.

jules metcalf
(iamverycold) - F
a bivy solution on 10/26/2005 16:19:47 MDT Print View

Check out this integrated bivy/bag/pack solution gokit.blogspot.com

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest
Re: a bivy solution on 10/26/2005 17:17:43 MDT Print View

Jules,

here's the company that makes the PowerPac system:

Moonbow - powerPak system