String camera tripod
Display Avatars Sort By:
Joy Menze
(catamountain) - M
String camera tripod on 06/08/2008 12:17:50 MDT Print View

I came across this article for a string tripod - both ultralight and multi-use.

You can use anything from a guyline to dental floss or braided fishing line.

Christopher Holden
(back2basics) - F - MLife

Locale: Southeast USA
Re: String camera monopod on 06/08/2008 12:34:51 MDT Print View

I'd call it a monopod before a tripod, but that's just my rambling.
The best feature of this is, unlike other tripods/monopods, it's compatible with every quick release plate ever made!

Joy Menze
(catamountain) - M
Picky, picky... on 06/08/2008 14:09:21 MDT Print View

The tripod aspect of using a single string would be that your own legs or other bodyparts also act as pod legs. Leaning against a tree adds more support.

Drill a hole in a detachable base plate for the string so that it can still be used in an actual tripod or monopod.

I have a walking stick with a screw off top that will take a camera. Adding a string guyline to that set-up would add additional stability.

Many hardware stores have 1/4" nylon threaded thumbscrews. Drill a hole in the thumb part.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: String camera tripod on 06/08/2008 18:16:04 MDT Print View

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/13758/index.html?skip_to_post=102387#102387

Tohru Ohnuki
(erdferkel) - F

Locale: S. California
Re: String camera tripod on 06/09/2008 13:00:14 MDT Print View

Yeah, it's an old trick we used to do. It works best if you pull up on the string while locking your arms into your body while cradling the camera from underneath. But with long lenses it's only slightly better that freehand, your pulse is still coursing through your body. Now if you shoot between heartbeats...