Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Those ubiquitous boston round bottles . . .
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ian Schumann
(freeradical) - M

Locale: Central TX
Those ubiquitous boston round bottles . . . on 06/06/2008 14:12:54 MDT Print View

I'm talking about those bottles like this one: http://www.rei.com/product/605499
. . . and other sizes that have the same flip-top closure system.

I've seen these all over various gear shops, even cottage manufacturers that sell them with alky-stoves, etc. They're everywhere.

Now, maybe I've missed something, but these don't seem to be waterproof or leak-resistant by any stretch. I have several sizes and I've been disappointed by their leakiness every time I've tried to use them for anything at all.

Are they not supposed to be leak-proof or something? Is there an easy way for me to make them that way? Maybe glue a rubber o-ring above the threads or something? I just don't know. Someone help me out, thanks.

Eric Noble
(ericnoble) - MLife

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Those ubiquitous boston round bottles . . . on 06/06/2008 14:29:05 MDT Print View

I use the 1 oz version from REI for my alcohol hand sanitizer and Dr. Bronners soap. They've worked fine for several years, no leaks.

Richard Allen
(roninpb)
Re: Those ubiquitous boston round bottles . . . on 06/06/2008 15:10:00 MDT Print View

I agree w/u Ian. Over the years i've had more of those kind of bottles leak than anything else i've tried. Methinks horrible QA!

IMO, they're not worth the trouble it takes to seal them.

LMK what it is exactly that you need. I am quite sure that I can come up with a worthwhile suggestion.

Peace,

Richard.

george carr
(hammer-one) - F

Locale: Walking With The Son
My fix on 06/06/2008 15:52:10 MDT Print View

I have sold many of these bottles, and have discovered that to seal properly the lid has to be screwed on tight (TIGHT). The fist time I used one I was also disappointed, but found that after making the closure good and snug I no longer had a leaking problem. I much prefer a PET bottle, even though the other is easier to squeeze. If you look on the site for Sunburst Bottle you find PET bottles with the flip top cap.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Those ubiquitous boston round bottles . . . on 06/06/2008 16:17:32 MDT Print View

I add generic o-rings, found at most hardware stores.
It provides a water/alcohol/oil tight seal without effort.
It is held in place by the threads. No glue needed.

Tohru Ohnuki
(erdferkel) - F

Locale: S. California
I test them first on 06/06/2008 16:43:55 MDT Print View

I usually put the cap on tight and squeeze to see if air leaks out, only about 1 in ten pass this test. If it's fairly slow then it will probably be fine with anything thicker than water. For alcohol, it may leak a bit still, i try to carry it upright. The O-ring trick i will have to try.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
DIY on 06/06/2008 16:51:30 MDT Print View

My husband posted this project:
http://www.traildivas.com/diy/make-your-bottles-leak-resistant.html

Works like a charm.

Richard Allen
(roninpb)
Re: My fix on 06/06/2008 16:59:35 MDT Print View

Hi George.

Unfortunately i've also found that when these bottles are tightened the lids crack in due time. Sometimes at once.

I hope i'm not stepping on any toes. I know that folks trying to make a living need to sell these bottles (at least what they have inventoried) but I have to call them as I see them.

Peace,

Richard.

Richard Allen
(roninpb)
Re: DIY on 06/06/2008 17:02:37 MDT Print View

Yes, good ole Teflon tape. I'd forgotten your post in that re.

Still not worth it IMHO.

Peace,

Richard.

Randall Miller
(speyguy) - F

Locale: Cascadia
Bottles on 06/06/2008 17:40:35 MDT Print View

I buy these locally at a TAP plastics store here in Portland (Cheaper than REI). They come with a standard black cap without the flip up spout and they sell the flip up spout cap seperate. When hiking/traveling I put the black cap on and carry the spout cap in my diddy bag and swap them out when I get to camp. No problems with leaking with the black caps. TAP has a web site if you google it.

Richard Allen
(roninpb)
Re: Bottles on 06/06/2008 19:13:43 MDT Print View

Good info speyguy, thx.

I do have a black capped bottle lying around somewhere. IIRC, the blk cap has a pliable translucent insert which effects a nice airtight seal.

Peace,

Richard.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Bottles on 06/06/2008 20:01:39 MDT Print View

No problems with mine at all. I've used these bottles for alcohol fuel. When traveling, I've also filled them with toothpaste, hair gel, etc. and again without any problems -- even when flying.

Eric Noble
(ericnoble) - MLife

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: I test them first on 06/06/2008 23:31:42 MDT Print View

Tohru reminded me that I did do the squeeze test before I bought mine.