Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
pee bottle
Display Avatars Sort By:
Mike Clelland
(mikeclelland) - MLife

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)
pee bottle on 12/02/2005 14:43:06 MST Print View

1 liter GaitorAid bottle.

Wide mouth. Cheap. Light. Easy to find. Winter only.

It start's the trip as a water bottle, and on that first cold night it gets baptized, and it's a pee bottle from then on...

Mike Clelland
(mikeclelland) - MLife

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)
pee bottle on 12/02/2005 14:50:45 MST Print View

Pee bottle for women!
------------------

[here's some tricks, all second hand]

If you are mountaineering in a tent with PLASTIC BOOTS, the boot shell makes a great in the tent pee vessel. Pull the liner out, and it sits upright, perfect for squatting. Pour it out the door into the snow when your done. Your boots are gunna be smelly anyway, so this isn't gunna make anything worse.

If you are in a snow shelter (like an igloo or a snow cave) just pee on the floor. The fluid is warm and it melts a tiny hole. Cover the hole up with a little snow, and you're done.

also, I know a lot of women who use a pee-funnel. (like the lady-J). They all love it. Then, you can share the pee bottle with the guys.

Curtis Presson
(Obdewla_X) - F
Pee Bottle on 12/03/2005 09:12:46 MST Print View

Not sure how this post went from who pees in a bottle to drinking pee (a few posts ago), but I have to say I do neither. Not sure why you'd want to pee in a bottle anyway and then carry it around with you on the trail. I can't think of anything I'd rather get done quicker than taking a whiz after crawling out of my warm bag especially when the temp dips down low... well, I can think of one other thing!

Anyway, trying to master *BEEP* in a bottle while in your bag sounds like a big hassle to me. I figure I can be over & done with and back in my bag faster than that no matter what the weather is like. Besides, it's a good excuse to take a look at the night time sky especially if the weather is nice. If it's raining just wait until it lets up or just get up & go.

What the hell... when you gotta go you gotta go!

Edited by Obdewla_X on 12/03/2005 09:15:23 MST.

John Garberson
(Montana) - F
Purpose Built Pee Bottle on 12/03/2005 09:52:02 MST Print View

I have a sharp Scouting memory of a troop mate who used a hose...just pushed it under the side of the floorless tent and pee'd. Too bad he pushed it out the upslope side...

I've never used a pee bottle and didn't think much of the concept but here's something I saw in the Campmor catalog; "Travel John Disposable, Unisex Personal Urinal." (#80666-G). It uses a gel bag similar, I guess, to the PETT toilet system and WAG bags. May not deserve to be in the ultralight forum, though.

Mike Storesund
(mikes) - F
Pee Bottle on 12/04/2005 09:53:08 MST Print View

I agree some of these threads of this topic offered way too much information. However, sometimes it’s a bit too cold and wet to get out of the bag, put on shoes/boots, unzip tent (if it’s that cold I’m not tarping it), crawl out, relieve yourself, crawl back in, take off shoes/boots, complain about reduced body temp, climb back into bag…

Those are the times when a mayonnaise jar or wide mouthed Nalgene Cantene, or hot water bottle, or what ever you choose comes in handy. Just expose what you need to when kneeling or however you do it, and go. Much faster and there is no need to carry it with you, just dump it out in the morning where you would have gone through the night.

It really is a bit refreshing NOT to have to get too cold or wet, and by relieving yourself, you help increase your core body temperature by not having all that fluid to keep warm as well. I have to admit the idea of the hot water bottle and using it to help keep you warm afterward seemed like a good idea to me. Just hope no leaks (no pun intended) are sprung.

David Lewis
(davidlewis) - MLife

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada
Re: Toxic Pee ? on 12/04/2005 12:02:05 MST Print View

I don't imagine anyone is worried about physical harm... just pshycological :) No matter what anyone says about how harmless it is or how sterile it is or even how good for you it is (some people drink their pee every day for their health)... the vast majority of people find the idea pretty gross.

Edited by davidlewis on 12/04/2005 15:46:28 MST.

(Anonymous)
ladies dilemma on 12/04/2005 15:35:48 MST Print View

Thought this might help out the ladies. The link ws too long.
So, go to Campmor.com. Personal care category.
Lady J
No. 80976
Price: $6.99 or
The Freshette™ Complete System
No. 80969
Price: $24.99
As for the pee thing. Of all the yrs, all the lectures, all the books and all the Classes, one of the first things one learns is to never drink urine as a survival method of hydration. Sterile and salty as well as a way to negate some sea creature stings, yes. Hydration, no.

Vick Hines
(vickrhines) - F

Locale: Central Texas
Re: ladies dilemma on 12/04/2005 15:51:13 MST Print View

A story:
On the AT on '03, was a young woman whose trail name was Lawn Ornament. She had read a book that said there were two things a woman needed to master for long distance backpacking: snot rockets and peeing without taking her pack off. She got snot rockets down OK and was practicing the rest at night in the back yard when her sister turned the patio lights on. Her family started calling her the lawn ornament. Ergo....