November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Can you double your vehicle's EPA estimated mpg?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Steve O
(HechoEnDetroit) - F

Locale: South Kak
Hypermiling: Can you double your vehicle's EPA estimated mpg? on 06/04/2008 15:12:32 MDT Print View

Check this out and you just might:

Edited by HechoEnDetroit on 06/04/2008 15:13:16 MDT.

David Erekson
(finallyME) - F

Locale: Utah desert
Can you double your vehicle's EPA estimated mpg? on 06/17/2008 11:19:59 MDT Print View

Some of those techniques work, I haven't read enough about it to know of all the techniques to know how they all work. But, there is another way to boost MPG. Originally, I thought this was a failed idea, or scam. The idea is splitting water for hydrogen and oxygen, and then using it to supplement gasoline. I was very skeptical at first. I did the energy calculations and you always end up putting more in than you take out. But, I was wrong in my assumptions. I was assuming that hydrogen would be used as the fuel. Instead, most of these systems just use the hydrogen (and a very small amount) to help the gasoline vaporize and burn more efficiently. I finally bought the book that you can find here , and installed the basic kit on my 1994 GMC Sonoma. It jumped from 20 MPG to 29 MPG. I guess it made a difference.

Steve O
(HechoEnDetroit) - F

Locale: South Kak
Re: beating the EPA (hypermiling) on 06/17/2008 12:25:41 MDT Print View

I have a Ford Ranger with a V6 that I was averaging 17mpg in. After using the techniques listed on cleanmpg, I am now up to ~21 and expect to hit 25 soon. I'm guessing I'll be getting 30mpg within a month!