Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » coffee cup in bear vault?

Display Avatars Sort By:
robert courson
(bertcourson) - M

Locale: lake michigan
coffee cup in bear vault? on 06/04/2008 09:31:43 MDT Print View

Hello, I need some advice on what coffee cup to take on the JMT in Aug that I won't have to put in my BV 350, if there is such a thing. Plastic? Metal? Styrofoam? How about a new plasic or paper "to go" cut each day? And then burn the used one? It seems like too much space taken to put the coffee cup into the BV350?

Jim W.
(jimqpublic) - MLife

Locale: So-Cal
Don't bother on 06/04/2008 09:41:23 MDT Print View

No need to put cookware in the bear can. I've never had bears or critters damage dishes, though they do sometimes get knocked over. I do leave them outside so the critters can give them a sniff or lick without chewing through the pack or tent. Of course wash it first.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
coffee cup on 06/04/2008 09:47:39 MDT Print View

if you need one, how about a thin, light titanium one? no worries on critters. just make sure it's rinsed out well. no need to keep it in a bearvault.

whatever you do, please don't burn plastic cups every day!

robert courson
(bertcourson) - M

Locale: lake michigan
coffee cup on 06/04/2008 10:13:09 MDT Print View

Thanks for the info. The burning of plastic was meant to get some alternatives, you know, to get more responses :>)

mike walker
(m_walker) - F
don't worry about it on 08/15/2008 23:15:25 MDT Print View

don't worry about it, hehe not me, I was boat fishing up in AK about 100 yards off shore and this Brown Bear about the size of a car could smell my son open his lunch at that distance. Anything that can have a food odor on it goes in the bear bag 200 ft away from where I am sleeping.
Depending upon Bear population density.