cyclo tour list
Display Avatars Sort By:
Justin Ling
(ling_jd) - F

Locale: columbus ohio
cyclo tour list on 06/03/2008 21:01:25 MDT Print View

comprehensive list from my May 9 day tour of the pacific coast (portland to san francisco). I worked very hard to get the weight down as much as I could. aside from riding in a poncho-tarp and riding a carbon fiber or titanium bike, any other ideas for getting the weight down? I know there is a titanium tubus rack out now. trust me, I'd get it if I could.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pjCMFMyq-vrR5__PgbLGbYw

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
spares? on 06/05/2008 12:00:12 MDT Print View

I'd question the need for an extra tire and rim strips if you start the trip with good ones. Otherwise, looks like a very nice rig!

You've got chain lube in there, right?

Casey Bowden
(clbowden) - MLife

Locale: Berkeley Hills
cyclo tour list on 06/05/2008 12:14:58 MDT Print View

Justin,

That's a nice list but instead of trying to reduce your weight I'd consider trying to minimize your cross sectional area exposed to the wind.

On level ground the weight of all of your gear goes into the road. And even on a 10% grade climb (pretty steep) the road is still taking 30 of your 34 pounds.

Casey
PS: I rode from Oregon to Virginia in 1999.

Casey Bowden
(clbowden) - MLife

Locale: Berkeley Hills
cyclo tour list on 06/05/2008 13:29:46 MDT Print View

Justin,

Upon further inspection of your list I find that you're missing a lawn mower (see photo below). I met Blaine in Kansas heading in the opposite direction. He was actually carrying a push lawnmower and, as his sign says, mowing for dough.

Mow for Dough

Justin Ling
(ling_jd) - F

Locale: columbus ohio
Re: spares? on 06/05/2008 14:00:55 MDT Print View

Yeah. next time i'll take a tire boot instead. I was carrying one tire for both me and my brother. The only reason I brought the rim strips was because I wanted to put them in the tires if I ever got a flat (which I never did, and neither did my brother).

I didn't bring any chain lube. I was meaning to bring some tri-flow in a tiny squeeze bottle that has my sewing machine oil in it, but I never got around to swapping out the oils. I'll definitely do it next time. any other ideas for lightweight containers of chain lube?

Casey--I'm sure you're right. I designed my panniers to be as aero as possible, but without a framesheet, my bags still stuck out farther than I cared for. On the other hand, I topped out at 48 MPH going down a hill, and it didn't feel unsafe at all. my bike was a little wobbly whenever I took both hands off the bars.