Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
LEASING OUT A HOUSE DURING A THRU-HIKE
Display Avatars Sort By:
JAMES CALL
(Conductor) - MLife

Locale: Sierra Nevada
LEASING OUT A HOUSE DURING A THRU-HIKE on 05/30/2008 16:07:33 MDT Print View

Has any one had any experience leasing their property during an extended trip?

Is there anything you would do differently next time?

Colleen Clemens
(tarbubble) - F

Locale: dirtville, CA
not exactly on 05/30/2008 16:41:15 MDT Print View

i am a landlord, so i can give you some advice, although it's pretty common sense.

If you can find one who will take on a 6 to 8 month lease, you simply must hire a local management company. Hopefully you can do this and break even on the monthly costs. Or look at a monthly loss as another expense of the thru-hike - there are tax benefits to taking a loss on a rental property, provided you can handle the expense in the short term. The trick will be finding a tenant who wants such a short lease. You may have to offer it for a year and then rent yourself a place month-to-month when you get back, until your tenant has vacated your property. A competent property manager (ask around, get referrals, interview long-term clients) can offer you even more insight than i can.

Ryan Krause
(rmkrause)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Mr Land Lord on 06/03/2008 11:31:20 MDT Print View

you might want to check out the forums on http://www.mrlandlord.com/

JAMES CALL
(Conductor) - MLife

Locale: Sierra Nevada
LEASING OUT A HOUSE DURING A THRU-HIKE on 06/06/2008 13:52:20 MDT Print View

Cool, Thanks.

G Dup
(lococoyo) - F
Re: LEASING OUT A HOUSE DURING A THRU-HIKE on 06/08/2008 19:23:30 MDT Print View

I don't have experience as a landlord - only experience as a student who frequently rents for short leases - and through family members and family friends with rental properties.

Craigslist is the way to go - you should easily be able to find someone to take it for the year, especially if you offer a low price (ie. break even). You cannot discriminate in your listing, but be as picky as you want in the interview. Management companies SUCK! For tenants and owners. Try to have someone close (TRUSTED) to you keep an eye on things, give them an emergency credit card linked to your account for maintenance.