Forum Index » GEAR » Steripen Pre Filter

Display Avatars Sort By:
Roleigh Martin
(marti124) - MLife

Locale: Moderator-JohnMuirTrail Yahoo Group
Re: Re: Steripen filter on 05/30/2008 14:14:11 MDT Print View

Michael, a couple of issues.

1. the Adventurer by steripen requires being able to see the LED chamber light -- with the soft-sided nalgene, the plastic is too foggy to see the LED Chamber light (at least for my own eyes) -- the hard plastic containers, one can see the LED Chamber light. the new (but about 2 oz heavier and more expensive) steripen that came out this year, has a LED screen and perhaps could be used with the soft sided nalgene container just well, but for me, the adventurer--I did not like with the soft sided nalgene container.

2. as for the Platys widemouth bags, I forget what Steripen had to say about that type of plastic--I thought they had a concern about this, but I forget the details. I'll try and dig around and look up the info.

Bottom line, I think the latest Steripen would work well with your method and the soft sided Nalgene bottle, and if one has far better eyes than mine, the Steripen Adventurer might work well too (you need to be able to see the LED Chamber light in the outdoor daylight situation one encounters outside in the wild--not what one encounters inside a house experimenting around).

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Locale: South Florida
Re: Steripen filter on 05/30/2008 14:24:57 MDT Print View

Roleigh,

I agree that bright sunlight hampers seeing the light, much like cell phone screens in the sunlight. However, I have used my Steripen Adventure on a regular basis with my soft-sided Nalgene without problems.

Now that I think about the conditions however, I can see your point if you are completely exposed to the sun like out west. I hike in the heavily forested east and usually take my water from splashing brooks and cascades that have complete tree cover, like a shady grotto. I've simply been using it in perfect conditions and didn't even realize it!

Maybe, you could set your backpack down to block some sun and then hunch over the container so as to block more with your body. If you have hiking partners, everyone could do a "group hug" while while this is going on! :)

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Steripen filter on 05/30/2008 14:26:28 MDT Print View

Yep Roleigh the pic is me approaching trail crest in '06. Wonderful hike. Would like to do the hike from Crabtree to Whitney sometime. Maybe even cross country through Miter Basin.

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
Steripen pre-filter on 05/30/2008 14:40:03 MDT Print View

Here's the Link to the earlier discussion on this topic.

I use a water bag with the bottom cut off and a filter in the pull spout. I like the pull spout because it's easy to load up the wide mouth without contaminating the rim.

Roleigh Martin
(marti124) - MLife

Locale: Moderator-JohnMuirTrail Yahoo Group
Re: Steripen filter on 05/30/2008 14:52:23 MDT Print View

Ken, my avatar is from '06 too (can't remember date, about 2nd week of August though). I wonder how close in time we took those pics in '06, only about 1 mile apart there. Did you hike up only from Whitney Portal (not from Crabtree side?)?

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Steripen filter on 05/30/2008 15:18:15 MDT Print View

Hiked from Whitney Portal and stayed at Outpost Camp. My buddy and I had a shuttle lined up and we were going to go through Miter Basin out to Crabtree but I ended up hurting my knee, so we summitted and went back to the Portal and then home. Some day!!!

And yes my photo was taken the second week of Aug. 2006. Isn't that funny!!

Claudia Garren
(spirit4earth) - F

Locale: North Carolina
pre-filter with Aqua Mira on 09/18/2009 06:29:41 MDT Print View

I'm looking for a pre-filter to use before adding Aqua Mira. These are all great ideas!