How does a BA aircore work with an SMD comet?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Andrew Richardson
(arichardson6) - F

Locale: North East
How does a BA aircore work with an SMD comet? on 05/28/2008 15:04:11 MDT Print View

Hey everyone,

I've been thinking of getting an SMD Comet. I have a Nimbus Meridian now that I've used three times since lightening up and I think it's a bit too big. It worked fine for my first trip with it, but then I replaced my synthetic bag with a down one (My second trip), my stove system has become a nested BB and snowpeak (My third trip), and my shelter is going to be (I think) a Gossamer Gear The One (though they won't seam seal for me and this creates a problem due to my 1 bdrm apartment and no where to set the tent up overnight!) I wish they could help me out!

Anyways, I no longer completely fill my meridian so I think I should downsize. It's only been used 3 times and is brand-new condition, so I'm hoping to sell it here for enough money to get the Comet.

The thing is, I don't use a closed cell or closed cell inflatable pad. I use a BA aircore pad and I have no plans to change. Can anyone comment on this?

I plan on using the bag for 3-5 day trips or a possible two week trip with one resupply in the New England area.

Thanks for your input everyone!
Andrew

Kyle Hetzer
(Ghost93) - F

Locale: Western MD
Air Core in Comet on 05/28/2008 16:29:16 MDT Print View

I would imagine that an DAM stlye airpad would work in conjunction with the pad pocket, although I cant say from experience. You could also try e-mail Ron Moak (of SMD) to see what he says.

Just make sure that you get the stays if you dicide to get the pack, as the air pad doesnt give too much support as a frame.

Edited by Ghost93 on 05/28/2008 16:30:25 MDT.

Russell Swanson
(rswanson) - F

Locale: Midatlantic
Re: How does a BA aircore work with an SMD comet? on 05/28/2008 16:29:51 MDT Print View

Andrew,
There is another thread right now addressing pretty much the same question as you are asking-

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/13835/index.html

I will make the same suggestion to you that I made on that thread. Just add the Gossamer Gear Nightlight torso pad to your set-up. You need insulation for that pad anyway (unless you don't hike in temps below 40-50 degrees). The GG torso pad only weighs 3.5 ounces. I use this pad with my frameless ULA pack and it works better than any other pad I've tried. It would be tough if not impossible to use an inflatable pad (of the non-self inflating nature) with a frameless pack.

All that said, you can get the Comet with aluminum stays for the Comet, though I'm pretty sure you'll still need some type of pad to give the pack some body.

Andrew Richardson
(arichardson6) - F

Re: How does a BA aircore work with an SMD comet? on 05/28/2008 17:46:14 MDT Print View

Well, I should have said my air pad was insulated, so I don't really need any other insulation. Seems silly to get a lighter pack and then just add ounces to it. Also seems silly to buy a new sleeping pad just for the pack. What a dilemma!

Andrew Richardson
(arichardson6) - F

How does a BA insulated aircore work with the SMD comet pad pocket? on 05/29/2008 11:57:52 MDT Print View

Welp, no real answers in the thread recommended because that thread deals with the JAM2 which doesn't have the same system. Is there any way to use a BA insulateed air core in the Comet pad pocket or do I need to switch to a self-inflatable?

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Inflate it on 05/29/2008 12:37:00 MDT Print View

Can you insert your pad THEN inflate it? This may be the best answer if you want to keep your pad yet use that pack.

Eric

Andrew Richardson
(arichardson6) - F

Re: Inflate it on 05/29/2008 13:16:48 MDT Print View

Hey Eric,

I thought of that, but I don't know how it will work. I may have a tough time inflating th folded up pad and I worry that the stress of being inlfated and folded could damage the pad.

I don't expect this pad to work, but I sure wish it did! I like your idea, but I'm hoping someone comes on and has experience and can give their actual solution! Maybe inflating it is the ticket...

Jason Brinkman
(jbrinkmanboi) - MLife

Locale: Idaho
Re: How does a BA insulated aircore work with the SMD comet pad pocket? on 05/29/2008 13:28:45 MDT Print View

Will a 10"x20" piece of closed cell foam pad work for a permanent backpanel on a Comet? It should weigh less than 2 ounces, and can be pulled out for a sit pad if desired. This would allow you to keep using the BA-IAC without much additional weight penalty. That's the approach that I've taken with my GG Mariposa Plus.

Daniel Goldenberg
(dag4643)

Locale: Pacific Northwet
Re: Re: Inflate it on 05/29/2008 13:44:04 MDT Print View

Hi Andrew,

Your BA pad can be used in the Comet, it just won't provide load transfer by itself. I'm fairly certain you would get load transfer if you insert the removable stays.

This is from the SMD website:

"The Comet Pack easily converts to an ultralight internal frame pack by simply inserting two aluminum stays. This configuration is good if your prefer an inflatable pad. Unlike closed cell foam pads, inflatable pads don't offer as much support."

Andrew Richardson
(arichardson6) - F

Re: How does a BA insulated aircore work with the SMD comet pad pocket? on 05/29/2008 13:48:26 MDT Print View

Hey all:

Thanks for the tips so far.

Jason: The fitted clsoed cell pad is a great idea. The dual use as a sit pad is really nice to. I've never used these items, but for 2 ounces and such a low costs, it seems like a good solution.

Daniel: I did read that on the SMD website and I do plan on using the stays. Perhaps those will be enough, but I would love to make full use of the suspension by using a pad. I'm worried about putting stress on the stays as I've heard that past models had issues with tears developing at the bottom of the stay sleeves.

Edited by arichardson6 on 05/29/2008 13:49:23 MDT.

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
Foam pad for comet on 05/29/2008 14:02:17 MDT Print View

I went with Jason's seat pad idea. MEC sells a Zotefoams bum pad (19"x19") that is a nice (thicker) stiff foam pad that is only 2.4 oz. before trimming.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302701645&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442094795

Edited by skopeo on 05/29/2008 14:03:05 MDT.

Daniel Goldenberg
(dag4643)

Locale: Pacific Northwet
Re: Re: How does a BA insulated aircore work with the SMD comet pad pocket? on 05/29/2008 14:08:53 MDT Print View

If you don't already use one, I'd recommend what others have suggested, get a 10x20 piece of closed cell foam (or whatever size the pad pocket is) and use that in the pad pocket, by itself or in combination with the folded inflatable pad.

A small foam sitpad is very useful by itself, even if you don't need it for sleeping or backpack support.

Andrew Richardson
(arichardson6) - F

Where does everyone buy good stiff blue foam? on 05/29/2008 14:39:19 MDT Print View

Thanks everyone! This is now a non-issue now! I will check out the seat pad suggested by Mike. Anyone know any American companies that sell good stiff blue foam for use as a pad in the Comet?

Err..I don't care if it is American made or anything. I'm just asking where in America I can get good stiff blue foam. It will help with shipping charges and I try to save every $$ possible!

Edited by arichardson6 on 05/29/2008 14:40:16 MDT.

Kathleen B
(rosierabbit) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Where does everyone buy good stiff blue foam on 05/29/2008 14:59:46 MDT Print View

Gossamergear.com
It's grey.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Where does everyone buy good stiff blue foam? on 05/29/2008 16:51:44 MDT Print View

> Anyone know any American companies that sell good stiff blue foam for use as a pad in the Comet?

I don't know about America, but try the Yellow Pages and look for Foam Converters or similar. Or, if you want to be really modern, use Google or similar.

John Gilbert
(JohnG10) - F

Locale: Mid-Atlantic
Blue Foam Pads on 05/29/2008 17:49:01 MDT Print View

Even smaller Walmart's typically carry 2 blue foam pads in the camping section. The standard length full size one is $8-10 and 20" wide and not nearly as cushy as more expensive pads. The deluxe one is thicker, squishier, eggcrated closed cell foam in a wider width.

Steven Nelson
(slnsf) - MLife

Locale: Northern California
Re: Where does everyone buy good stiff blue foam? on 05/29/2008 18:58:06 MDT Print View

Mine all came from Target.