Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Tilley hat - which one?
Display Avatars Sort By:
David Poston
(dgposton) - F

Locale: Texas / Colorado
Tilley hat - which one? on 05/25/2008 09:14:37 MDT Print View

I noticed alot of ultralighters include Tilley hats among their gear lists. Which one would you recommend for summer use?

Weight is of course an issue as well packability. Will the hats retain their shape after crammed into a pack?

thanks
David

Duane Hall
(PKH) - M

Locale: Nova Scotia
Tilley Hat on 05/25/2008 10:17:21 MDT Print View

I've used a Tilley LT5 for four years and I am very satisfied. I forget how much the thing weighs - perhaps in the 3 oz range. Certainly it will retain its shape if stuffed in your pack - it's pretty well indestructible. In any case, I don't pack the hat. I just suspend over my chest by the chin strap until I need it. As for which hat, well there are several choices and Tilley has an excellent website. Tilleys are expensive, but they will last for ever.

Cheers

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Locale: South Florida
Re: Tilley hat - which one? on 05/25/2008 11:03:31 MDT Print View

I've got the LMT8.
Love it!
3.8 oz.

Daniel Goldenberg
(dag4643)

Locale: Pacific Northwet
Re: Tilley hat - which one? on 05/25/2008 11:07:31 MDT Print View

I've got an LT5 but find it too hot in warm weather for hiking. It does not breath well.

Jon Hancock
(bigjackbrass)

Locale: Northwest England
Tilley Hat on 05/25/2008 11:45:25 MDT Print View

I've worn Tilleys since 1993 and wholeheartedly recommend them. The T3 is an excellent all-rounder, plenty of shade in summer and enough of a brim to keep the rain off. It's probably the most commonly seen Tilley (the one with the snaps on the sides) with good reason. It crumples if stuffed in a pack, but a slight dampening of the fabric lets you smooth it back into shape. The T1 is also worth a look, smaller brim and more of a "bucket" shape.

Ignoring the Winter styles (although they're pretty good too) I also have an LT5, one of the synthetic models, which holds its shape well and is very light to wear. Despite the fact that it dries more quickly than the cotton T3 and weighs less I can't say I'd recommend it more for backpacking - the T3 just seems to be a little more versatile and I like the fabric. Haven't tried the hemp hats yet so I can't comment on those.

Margaret Snyder
(jetcash) - F

Locale: Southern Arizona
Re: Re: Tilley hat - which one? on 05/25/2008 12:02:25 MDT Print View

"I've got an LT5 but find it too hot in warm weather for hiking. It does not breath well."

I have the same problem in AZ. Sometimes I wear a soaking wet bandanna under my tilley for some evaporative cooling effects.

Mark Mendell
(mmendell) - M

Locale: Midwest
LT3 on 05/25/2008 12:24:10 MDT Print View

3.6 oz by my scale. Synthetic and dries quickly.

Great hat.

Michael Martin
(MikeMartin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: North Idaho
Re: Tilley hat - which one? on 05/25/2008 18:12:28 MDT Print View

I've got a modified LTM6 that is near perfect. Take a look at this old thread for my mods.

Cheers,

-Mike

Phil Barton
(flyfast) - MLife

Locale: Oklahoma
Re: Tilley hat - which one? on 05/25/2008 19:07:09 MDT Print View

LT6 is my favorite. Size 7 3/4 at only 3.5 oz. I like the fast drying nylon. I wore it on a hike in hot, muggy weather yesterday. It's easy to wash. The brim softens with age and when wet. But it stays stiff enough to keep the rain off my face. I've sprayed it with a DWR for winter use.

The wider brim of the LT6 gives me more of the shade that I need. I also have the cotton T5 and a hemp TH5. The LT6 is the hat I take hiking year round.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/display_reviews?forum_thread_id=915&skip_to_post=13477#13477

James Loy
(jimbluz) - M

Locale: Pacific NW
Tilley Hat - Which one? on 05/26/2008 13:16:48 MDT Print View

I bought an LT-5 and found it way too hot, so I bought an LT-3. Again, far too hot and the sweatband is inadequate so perspiration rolls down into my eyes. I used a bandanna around my forehead to keep the perspiration out of my eyes but then found wearing the hat a bit cumbersome. I think it may depend on how easily and how much you perspire and whether you mind it running into your eyes. I emailed Tilley last summer suggesting using a nice coolmax headband or something similar in the LT-3 but don't know if the new models incorporate such a thing.

Richard Lyon
(richardglyon) - MLife

Locale: Bridger Mountains
Tilley TH5 on 05/26/2008 13:29:51 MDT Print View

Try a hemp Tilley. The TH5 breathes very well. Any hat will heat up your head but this one breathes better than any other full-brimmed hat I've tried. Tilley also makes hats with vents, called the Air-Flo I think.

David Poston
(dgposton) - F

Re: Re: Tilley hat - which one? on 05/27/2008 09:43:52 MDT Print View

Is this the same hat?

http://www.rei.com/product/721740

How much does it weigh?

Scott Bentz
(scottbentz) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
LT6 on 05/27/2008 10:28:41 MDT Print View

I have been using an LT6 for the last year. I picked one up because i had burned my ears so bad when using a baseball style cap. I used to not like any type of hat, however, I do find a hat solves a few problems such as sun directly in the eyes, I use less sunscreen (usually none at all), and when it rains a brimmed hat is helpful in keeping rain away from my head.

The tradeoff with wearing a hat is the sweat. The LT6 does seem to get warm but the headband wicks moisture quite well. i have not had a problem with sweat in my eyes. I bought this hat because it fit. Haven't tried any other Tilly's but i do like it.

John G
(JohnG10) - F

Locale: Mid-Atlantic via Upstate NY
Henschel Breezer on 05/27/2008 10:46:30 MDT Print View

I've been using a Henschel Breezer hat for hiking & backpacking for several years. It's 3" stiching reinforced brim stays stiff in the rain + doesn't fold up in the wind. Plus, it's mesh sides are almost as breezy as not wearing a hat, yet don't allow in enough sun to tan the sides of my head. (The mesh lets in at least half of wind-blown rain though). The hat only costs around $25-30, but still looks new even after years of wear - but I don't wad it up and stuff it into my pack, so that may help.

http://www.henschelhats.com/cat07p14-15.html

Steven Nelson
(slnsf) - MLife

Locale: Northern California
Re: LT6 on 05/27/2008 21:18:54 MDT Print View

I have an LT6 and LTM8 and like them both, though the LT6 is my favorite. I wear it every month of the year for backpacking and snow camping.

Nathan Hodges
(hodgey12) - F
Just Bought the newer LT6B and love it on 05/28/2008 09:09:12 MDT Print View

This is just like the LT6 but with the new breathable nylon blend. It makes the fabric a little stretchy. It breathes better than the LT6 and is lighter. I love mine, seems to pack easy and hold shape after having been packed.

David Poston
(dgposton) - F

LT6 or LT5? on 05/28/2008 10:39:53 MDT Print View

Now I can't decide if I want the broader-brimmed LT6 or LT5. I definitely want the breathable or mesh version. If the "breathable" version is really breathable, then this seems the winner b/c it would repel more water than the mesh version.

Difference in weight aside, my concern with the larger LT6 is that it will obstruct my vision or flop around in the wind. My current hat, an REI Sahara Outback (I think), does this. When the wind blows, the front brim flops in front of my eyes, which is very annoying.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Tilley hat - which one? on 05/28/2008 13:19:44 MDT Print View

I have an LTM3 size 7 that I don't use if anybody is looking for one.

I wish I could get a dark brown nylon hat that looks like Indiana Jones style. I'm also seriously considering a Sunday Afternoons Sport hat.

Edited by jshann on 05/28/2008 13:20:52 MDT.

Daniel Goldenberg
(dag4643)

Locale: Pacific Northwet
Re: Just Bought the newer LT6B and love it on 05/28/2008 13:29:07 MDT Print View

Hi Nathan,

How much more breathable would you say the "B" series is? I've got an LT5 and find it too hot. I've also got one of the airflow models but have not really used it much. Did you find your LT6 to be too hot?

Thanks.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Tilley hat - which one on 05/28/2008 14:18:04 MDT Print View

I've been considering the LTM series LTM8 or LTM10) with the full mesh crown. I wonder what the breathability difference would be between it and the B series.