Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Granite Gear Hipbelt Pockets
Display Avatars Sort By:
Josh Davidson
(mears) - F
Storage suggestions on 04/28/2009 23:08:36 MDT Print View

What items are you guys placing in these pockets? Does anyone use the shoulder strap pockets?

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
Granite Gear Hipbelt Pockets on 04/29/2009 00:43:57 MDT Print View

I have Granite Gear's hip belt and shoulder strap pockets. I tried the hip belt pocket for my camera but didn't like it (prefer the camera in the pocket in my cargo pants).

I occasionally attach the shoulder strap pocket to my pack to carry my GPS if I think I'm going to be using it frequently. The pocket keeps the GPS in a position to get a good signal. Most of the time I just put the GPS in the top flap of my pack and leave the pockets at home (I don't really like things on my pack straps).

V k
(vladimir_ek)

Locale: New York
MLD Pockets use on 04/29/2009 05:58:28 MDT Print View

I plan on using MLD belt pocket for my camera and shoulder pocket for a water bottle. I use Jam2. I'd give MLD a call to check if pockets will fit specific pack.

Dan Cunningham
(mn-backpacker)

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons
Re: Storage suggestions on 04/29/2009 06:59:35 MDT Print View

I use a single Granite Gear hip belt pocket on my VT. I use it for my camera and usually a snack or two, and sometimes a folded up map. They work great, and are actually quite rain resistant.

b s
(smyth) - F
Hipbelt Pockets on webbing hipbelts? on 04/29/2009 08:06:48 MDT Print View

@ Mike W.: Why didn't you like the camera in the hipbelt pocket? That's what I'm mainly interested in using it for.

Does anyone who uses a hipbelt pocket with a pack that only has a webbing belt find that they flop around too much? That is my concern. All the pockets on the market seem like they would be nicely secured to a winged or padded belt but I could see the pocket swinging around if it's just on 1.5" webbing.

Kevin Babione
(KBabione) - MLife

Locale: Pennsylvania
Re: Hipbelt Pockets on webbing hipbelts? on 04/29/2009 10:57:29 MDT Print View

I have two Gossamer Gear Large hipbelt pockets on my Murmur pack (which has a 1" belt). Gossamer Gear modified them for me to accomodate the small hipbelt (I'm significantly sewing-challenged) for no charge.

I quickly decided that I needed to attach the loop at one end of each pocket to the pack to keep it stablized on my hip. Worked like a champ.

As for what I keep in them, in my left belt pocket I keep my first aid kit, blister kit, Swiss Army Clipper, lighter, and Petzl e-Lite. The right pocket holds my camera and a few snacks. I don't like anything even remotely heavy in my pants pockets because it tends to pull my pants down as I hike and that drives me nuts.

Edited by KBabione on 04/29/2009 10:58:44 MDT.

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
Granite Gear Hipbelt Pockets on 04/30/2009 01:39:47 MDT Print View

Brad -

The hipbelt pocket worked fine for my camera but I have a habit of swinging my pack off and dropping it upright on the ground (and rocks). I found my camera was taking a beating (I just couldn't get used to having it attached to the belt). Since old habits die hard, I thought I'd just move the camera into the cargo pocket of my pants and I've found that works best for me.

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Locale: South Florida
Re: Granite Gear Hipbelt Pockets on 04/30/2009 04:59:31 MDT Print View

Iike Mike W., I carry my GPS in the shoulder strap pockets. My camera goes in the hip-belt pockets and as Mike cautioned, Don't set the pack down with the pockets underneath the pack, or sling the pack about with the pockets flying around on their tether, especially near rock outcroppings!