Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Eastern PA BPL: PA AT

Display Avatars Sort By:
Joe Geib
(joegeib) - F

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys
Eastern PA BPL: PA AT on 05/21/2008 05:31:53 MDT Print View

I figure that we'll try this again.

I have a free weekend (Sat/Sun) on May31/June 1 (next weekend).

I was thinking about doing some PA AT sections, from PA 72 (Swatara Gap) to PA 183, staying at the 501 Shelter.

These are about 10 mile sections, so we can knock them off easily and early, to get back to family obligations.

Joe Geib
(joegeib) - F

options on 05/21/2008 20:12:10 MDT Print View

I may alter my plan slightly.

I may start at Port Clinton and stay at Eagle's Nest Shelter (9mi) and finish at PA 183 (5mi). This'll keep the days short.

brian fitzmartin
(brianfitz) - F

Locale: philadelphia PA
port clinton sobo on 05/21/2008 23:13:06 MDT Print View

have you hiked out of port clinton yet. from my understanding you have to climb 1000feet in under 1/4 mile distance. there are stories of backpackers throwing their packs to the bottom . hiking north to port clinton my be a better ,or just not as hard

Joe Geib
(joegeib) - F

indeed on 05/22/2008 05:00:43 MDT Print View

yes, it IS quite a rise. I just checked the profile, and it appears to be steeper than the Lehigh Gap. I'll have to take that into consideration, but I'd rather have the shorter distance on Sunday morning, so I can get back to civilization sooner.

Besides, these climbs should be no problem, since we BPL!

Scott S
(sschloss1) - F

Locale: New England
AT into Port Clinton on 05/22/2008 07:37:19 MDT Print View

The SOBO climb out of Port Clinton is not quite as steep as Lehigh Gap (there aren't any hand-over-hand sections or scrambles), but it is quite steep over some short stretches. Luckily, it's not a very long climb. I've only done it NOBO, but I think I'd rather do that section SOBO because the traction would be better. Even with trekking poles, I slipped once or twice on the way down.

brian fitzmartin
(brianfitz) - F

Locale: philadelphia PA
i'm in on 05/26/2008 11:51:58 MDT Print View

i'm in for saturday to sunday . i would prefer a longer hike on saturday though.