November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jessen Jacobsen
(SmokiesHanger) - F

Locale: Boulder
Greece on 05/20/2008 22:18:15 MDT Print View

I will be doing some backpacking, hiking, and camping around Greece this summer, the longest stint being a week long jaunt around Crete. I plan on just using my normal backpacking kit for the most part, except I'm still uncertain about my cooking situation.

For those that have been in Europe, what should I do about cooking? Is alcohol attainable? Should I just go with cold food? I have a campingGaz stove, should I bring that?

Richard DeLong
(Legkohod) - MLife

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus
Re: Greece on 05/22/2008 12:18:23 MDT Print View

I have no experience in Greece, but here in Ukraine it's not too hard to find denatured alcohol in hardware and home improvement stores. If it's here, I'll bet it's there :)

The only problem is you might have to buy a whole liter or half a liter of the stuff, basically negating the weight benefits thereof.

Diplomatic Mike

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Greece on 05/22/2008 13:31:54 MDT Print View

Hi Jessen. I don't know the fuel situation but if you avoid the 'tourist' areas, you can eat pretty cheaply at Tavernas and places the locals use. Make sure you have mosquito protection!