Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
GSI Outdoors Cascadian Cup SPOTLITE REVIEW
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ryan Jordan
(ryan) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Greater Yellowstone
GSI Outdoors Cascadian Cup SPOTLITE REVIEW on 05/20/2008 21:49:58 MDT Print View

Companion forum thread to:

GSI Outdoors Cascadian Cup SPOTLITE REVIEW

Dave .
(Ramapo) - F - M
Hmmm on 05/21/2008 06:19:32 MDT Print View

You know what's nice about Titanium though? It isn't plastic.

Is there any reliable information out there regarding the safety of drinking hot beverages out of polypropylene?

Personally I don't mind paying extra for a titanium mug. It affords me peace of mind!

Ross Bleakney
(rossbleakney) - MLife

Locale: Cascades
Re: Hmmm on 05/21/2008 10:53:59 MDT Print View

At least it is designed to be heated and used to hold water. The biggest danger from plastics is that people use plastic that isn't food safe or hasn't been designed (or tested) for hot food or water. I've made this mistake before, when putting food directly into a (non-food safe) grocery bag. I know that isn't a direct answer to your question (sorry).

Ryan Krause
(rmkrause)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Safety on 05/21/2008 15:17:10 MDT Print View

According to current research and analytic techniques, polypropylene doesn't appear to leach.

http://www.ourstolenfuture.org/NEWSCIENCE/oncompounds/bisphenola/2003/2003-0205howdeshelletal.htm
http://www.thegreenguide.com/doc/101/plastic
http://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/200311/lol5.asp

Glass transition temperature: -10C
Melting temperature: 173C

Peter Surna
(PedroArvy) - MLife

Locale: Melbourne
Why do you need a cup? on 05/21/2008 17:27:25 MDT Print View

Why do you need a cup?
I drink out of my cooking pot.

Scotch, coffee, soup it handles the lot!

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: Why do you need a cup? on 05/21/2008 18:29:51 MDT Print View

How about this...

Two hikers. You both want a cup of tea, but are sharing one stove. Two cups faciliate your efforts.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Why do you need a cup? on 05/21/2008 18:59:51 MDT Print View

Hi Petras

> Why do you need a cup?
> I drink out of my cooking pot.
On day walks, of which my wife and I do many when we aren't off on a longer walk, I carry a Trangia kettle for morning tea. It is ancient and much loved, albeit a little heavier than some Ti versions. (No problem - keeps me fit.) And it has a wide base which means it is efficient in heating.

Now, have you tried to drink out of a Trangia kettle? Remembering it is aluminium, which is an excellent heat conductor too. And what does my wife drink out of?

Cheers
Roger

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
The GSI Line on 05/21/2008 21:47:04 MDT Print View

If you all haven't noticed, GSI has quite the new line out this year. They also have two style of nesting mug/cup sets. One is 20 ounces and round, the other is 14 ounces and triangle shaped. They are of the same material as the Cascadian mug.

For those concerned, Polypropylene is used in many items these days. It is what Fozzils and Orikaso dishes are made of. It is recyclable as well.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
YEP! on 05/22/2008 00:34:48 MDT Print View

Been using a nearly identical cup for decades. It has 1/4 cup marking rings around the entire inside of the cup.

I use the cup for measuring water for putting into freeze-dried food bags, drinking coffee or tea etc. and I couldn't get along without it. Best type of cup I've ever used for backpacking.

That cup, my Cool Whip bowl and a long-handled Lexan spoon are ALL my utensils. (Yeah, a Cool Whip bowl - used 'em for decades also.) In winter I bring the Cool Whip lid to keep food warm whilst I'm chewing, drinking & attending other cooking chores. BUT, in winter I drink from a closed top insulated mug.

Eric

Monty Montana
(TarasBulba) - MLife

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Re: GSI Outdoors Cascadian Cup on 05/22/2008 10:51:13 MDT Print View

"For reasons which utterly pass me by, the text on this scale is in mirror image"

Um...'cause it's made in China?

I'm glad you reviewed this item! I've been using a similar cup that was included in my Boy Scout mess kit for years and my only complaint is that it holds only 8 oz brim full, so a 12 oz capacity cup would be worth having 'cause I do enjoy a slug o joe in the morning.

Phil Barton
(flyfast) - MLife

Locale: Oklahoma
Re: Re: GSI Outdoors Cascadian Cup on 05/22/2008 11:57:00 MDT Print View

Monty, I have the exact same comment as you. I can finally replace my 8 oz. BSA cup of the past 40 years. I just haven't taken the time to find where to locate a $1.75 cup without paying $8 in shipping.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Shipping on 05/22/2008 12:57:21 MDT Print View

I had to laugh....the sad thing is paying $8 shipping will soon be cheaper than driving to a store to find one if you drive a typical American style vehicle.

Kathleen B
(rosierabbit) - M

GSI Cascadian cup and bowl on 05/22/2008 13:02:12 MDT Print View

A well-known outdoor retailer is selling these in multiples of 4, with cups, bowls, and plates. However, I'd rather wait to see if Sarah will stock them on her freezerbagcooking.com site. For longer treks, it would actually be easier to use the non-zip sandwich bags to package the meals and then dump one into the bowl or cup to rehydrate, assuming it can handle seriously boiling water.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: GSI Outdoors Cascadian Cup SPOTLITE REVIEW on 05/22/2008 14:17:12 MDT Print View

I have something similar as well, only it holds 450ml and only weighs 37 grams. Cost me NZ$5 from Bivouac. I added my own measurement markings with an indelible pen on the outside...the cup is yellow so is JUST transparent enough for this to work. I don't go anywhere without my yellow cup, nor does my partner with the red version.

Why carry a cup?? As above, I mostly hike with my partner. Often when we stop for a brew, I'll have soup and my partner will have tea. In the evenings my partner might have some icky sweet orange drink while I tend towards whiskey while cooking dinner in the 2L pot. In the morning its coffee for me and tea for my better half...it would be world war III without our own mugs!

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: GSI Cascadian cup and bowl on 05/22/2008 16:33:45 MDT Print View

Kathleen, I think I will pick them up on the next order, which I will do after Memorial Day :-) GSI is pretty cool with I can pick and choose what I buy. So I have to ask - if I carry them, what is the color choices you'd love? ;-)
Btw, thanks for the idea of getting them!

Everitt Gordon
(Everitt) - MLife

Locale: North of San Francisco
Re: Hmmm on 05/22/2008 19:52:42 MDT Print View

why assume titanium is safe to eat out of? It's not been around that long and many other metals have proved only years, or centurys later to be harmfull or deadly. If peace of mind is based on high cost is the space shuttle safer than my bicycle....Everitt

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Re: Hmmm on 05/22/2008 19:59:31 MDT Print View

I know of very few (OK, I can't really think of any) materials to make a food container/cooker out of that have been 'proven' to do no harm over the long term...living is just plain deadly and we may never know if that ceramic casserole dish, the clay grain storage, the cast iron pan or even that lovely glass drinking utensil are truly doing us no harm.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Hmmm on 05/22/2008 20:00:46 MDT Print View

Aren't titanium mugs lined with some sort of chemical coating as well?

This thread may be the first one about plastics where David and Sarah aren't fighting each other. :)

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
BAH! HUMBUG! on 05/22/2008 20:11:53 MDT Print View

A pox on Titanium backpacking vessles (likely carried by Titanium-loving, latte-sipping, carbon fiber pole-using, effete backpackers)!

Coated aluminum is better in virtually every way.

(Now lessee, where'd I put my Ti BushBuddy stove? Oh, there it is, beside my Ti Caldera Cone and my Ti Vargo burner.)

Eric

Kathleen B
(rosierabbit) - M

Red GSI bowl on 05/23/2008 09:58:54 MDT Print View

Sarah - The red looks cool. Or anything but orange. If you get several colors, I may spring for 2 in different colors. Mr B's birthday is coming up, and I would be willing to spring a few bucks on him! Who knows, if you design a cozy for the bowl and/or mug, I may go really crazy and get that, too!