Forum Index » Philmont » CANISTERS VS WHITE GAS

Display Avatars Sort By:
Sarah Kuhn
(SCKuhn) - MLife

Locale: Mountainous Ohio
White gas on 05/15/2012 09:36:02 MDT Print View

Depending on how efficiently you cook you should have adequate fuel, but just like canister availability white gas is available in the back country, just take something to filter the gas through - I have heard that the gas in the back country tends to be dirtier than at base camp. We took 2 16oz bottles in 2010 for our 8 man crew and had gas to get rid of at base camp when we got back....

Enjoy!
Sarah

Edited by SCKuhn on 05/15/2012 09:36:43 MDT.

Alan henson
(355spider) - F

Locale: DFW
Alcohol stove? on 05/24/2012 16:14:26 MDT Print View

Can you use alcohol stoves? My white box stove alcohol saves me a lot of weight vs bringing my pocket rocket and canister stove.

John Myers
(dallas) - F - MLife

Locale: North Texas
Alcohol stove at Philmont on 05/24/2012 20:24:40 MDT Print View

The commissaries don't stock alcohol so you would have to carry 10 days worth of fuel. I don't see where they won't allow it though.

Bruce Tolley
(btolley) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Canisters vs White Gas on 05/24/2012 21:14:14 MDT Print View

From the web, BSA Chemical Fuels Policy
>>>
Prohibited Chemical-Fueled Equipment
Equipment that is handcrafted, homemade, modified, or installed beyond the manufacturer’s stated design limitations or use. Examples include alcohol-burning “can” stoves, smudge pots, improperly installed heaters, and propane burners with their regulators removed

Chemical Fuels not Recommended
Unleaded gasoline; liquid alcohol fuels, including isopropyl alcohol, denatured ethyl alcohol, and ethanol; and other flammable chemicals that are not in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions for chemical-fueled equipment.
>>>

There have been several threads on this site about this topic.

Looks like homemade and pepsi can stoves are banned. A commercially manufactured stove like the Trangias sold at REI would be allowed. Alcohol sold as a stove fuel while not recommended would allowed. Everclear would most likely be banned since it is also a beverage. The irony here is during our trek on our last night with the Ranger, he pulled out a pepsi can stove and served up a dessert for the crew with it.

And as always if the worst case happens, and you are not in compliance with BSA safety policies, BSA liability insurance will not cover you in the event of lawsuits.

Donald Howard
(DonH) - F
BSA Insurance on 05/25/2012 14:05:22 MDT Print View

Not that it makes much difference to the topic at hand but I don't believe that last statement is accurate.