Forum Index » Chaff » 2 am and you have to go

Display Avatars Sort By:
Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
2 am and you have to go on 05/16/2008 11:40:34 MDT Print View

We've all been there. Do you hold it in and hope, or do you get up and go? Or do you carry a 'comfort' bottle?

Sven Klingemann
(svenklingemann) - F
Re: 2 am and you have to go on 05/16/2008 11:45:35 MDT Print View

First I wake up my girlfriend so that she has to go too. Then we both go and curse around, trying to wake up any tent neighbors. I am more likely though to try and hold it in if it is not too cold outside (I don't want to spend energy in heating up my liquids when I need it otherwise!)

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: 2 am and you have to go on 05/16/2008 11:54:53 MDT Print View

Edited by ben2world on 05/16/2008 11:56:15 MDT.

Sven Klingemann
(svenklingemann) - F
Re: Re: 2 am and you have to go on 05/16/2008 12:04:24 MDT Print View

You mentioned you had a one person tent, right? LOL
Glad you are using Spinnaker and not Cuben ...
:-)

Nia Schmald
(nschmald) - MLife
Re: 2 am and you have to go on 05/16/2008 12:07:29 MDT Print View

Not to be too offensive, but it seems like most creatures who make waste where they sleep are several rungs down the evolutionary ladder. So if I'm awake enough to think about it then I'll get up and go outside. Besides I like getting a clear view of the night sky.

I also don't trust myself to seal the lid sufficiently on the bottle in my half awake state. So maybe that puts me a few rungs down the ladder as well.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: 2 am and you have to go on 05/16/2008 12:12:56 MDT Print View

Sven wrote: "You mentioned you had a one person tent, right? Glad you are using Spinnaker and not Cuben..."

If you don't shine a light inside for all to see -- then you won't have any problems. Remember, it's 2am.

Sven Klingemann
(svenklingemann) - F
Re: Re: 2 am and you have to go on 05/16/2008 12:14:03 MDT Print View

"Besides I like getting a clear view of the night sky"
You must not wear contact lenses (and/or take them out over night) I suppose ... I am just trying not to trip over the cords/stakes and not to run into a tree. Or think that the neighbor's tunnel tent is a log.

Sven Klingemann
(svenklingemann) - F
Re: Re: Re: 2 am and you have to go on 05/16/2008 12:15:54 MDT Print View

You have a point there Ben. Then again, I am of a rather inquisitive nature.

Edited by svenklingemann on 05/16/2008 12:16:43 MDT.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

2 am and you have to go on 05/16/2008 12:26:15 MDT Print View

There is a 'sports drink' here in Scotland that is popular. Isotonic and 'wide-mouthed'. We aren't shy though, cuben fibre is fine if you're from a sheltered background.

Nia Schmald
(nschmald) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: 2 am and you have to go on 05/16/2008 12:28:43 MDT Print View

"Besides I like getting a clear view of the night sky"
You must not wear contact lenses (and/or take them out over night) I suppose ... I am just trying not to trip over the cords/stakes and not to run into a tree. Or think that the neighbor's tunnel tent is a log.

Technically my eyesight is fine with no contacts or glasses, but I still trip over my guylines. When I hit a tree then I've gone far enough. :)

So far no one has climbed out of their log/tunnel tent to curse me out in the middle of the night.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

2 am and you have to go on 05/16/2008 12:36:08 MDT Print View

"Technically my eyesight is fine with no contacts or glasses, but I still trip over my guylines. When I hit a tree then I've gone far enough. :)

So far no one has climbed out of their log/tunnel tent to curse me out in the middle of the night."

Maybe you are on your own?

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

2 am and you have to go on 05/16/2008 12:47:24 MDT Print View

I didn't mean that the way it sounds! I mean't, maybe 'dreams'? Oh shut up! Is it deep enough?

Nia Schmald
(nschmald) - MLife
Re: 2 am and you have to go on 05/16/2008 12:50:47 MDT Print View

"I didn't mean that the way it sounds! I mean't, maybe 'dreams'? Oh shut up! Is it deep enough?"

huh? Maybe a little too deep for me?

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: 2 am and you have to go on 05/16/2008 12:53:23 MDT Print View

Mike:

No need to penetrate so deep. Just get a pee bottle and give it a try. :)

Edited by ben2world on 05/16/2008 12:54:01 MDT.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

2 on 05/16/2008 12:56:54 MDT Print View

'Deep enough'
The hole i was digging for myself.:)

John Carter
(jcarter1)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: 2 on 05/16/2008 13:35:13 MDT Print View

Ever since switching to a Cocoon Pullover Hoody and Pants, midnight trips to the outdoor potty have been much, much less of a pain. Sure, I've still got to get my freezing shoes on and crawl out of my tent, but it's no longer the bone-chilling experience I once dreaded. It's actually quite nice to walk about late at night with a full moon and not be cold!

Sven Klingemann
(svenklingemann) - F
Re: Re: 2 on 05/16/2008 13:44:53 MDT Print View

How non-chaffy of you!! :-)

Steve O
(HechoEnDetroit) - F

Locale: South Kak
Re: 2 am and you have to go on 05/16/2008 14:00:03 MDT Print View

I get up and go unless its too cold or raining. I prefer to use a "comfort bottle". I use a floor-less shelter in the winter and one time I forgot to bring a bottle.

Can you guess what I did?

I came halfway out of my sleeping bag and urinated in the far corner of the shelter (luckily it is a huge shelter for 1 person). When I was done, I grabbed a handful of snow and covered the majority of it and went back to sleep.

Maybe I'm lower on the rung of evolution as Nia put it, but after drinking all that rum I just couldn't hold it and didn't want to completely leave the comfort of my bag/shelter. I packed up and moved on the next morning.

Nia Schmald
(nschmald) - MLife
Re: Re: 2 on 05/16/2008 14:03:52 MDT Print View

"Ever since switching to a Cocoon Pullover Hoody and Pants, midnight trips to the outdoor potty have been much, much less of a pain."

Add in some ID hot socks which I sleep in and you don't even have to deal with the shoes. It'd be cool if cocoon added a slightly warmer and lighter version of the socks.

p.s. sorry for the inappropriateness of this post in the chaff forum. Roger please delete if it is too far off topic. :)

Edited by nschmald on 05/16/2008 14:05:47 MDT.

Nia Schmald
(nschmald) - MLife
Re: Re: 2 am and you have to go on 05/16/2008 14:08:11 MDT Print View

At least no one has yet discussed the comfort bucket. Is this chaffy enough?