Question: Converting 1 liter bottle lid to bite valve?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Scott Peterson
(scottalanp) - F

Locale: Northern California
Question: Converting 1 liter bottle lid to bite valve? on 05/13/2008 11:53:39 MDT Print View

Has anyone seen or attempted to use a 1 liter water bottle (think Aquafina) with a bite-valve system?

After trying a myriad of config.s with water containers...I really find two one liter bottles the most useful all around. My only issue is the in-accessability during the hike...which could obviously be overcome with a tube/bite-valve.

Drilling out a lid, and inserting silicone tubing seems easy enough. But how to secure and prevent leakage? I suppose there is the connectors employed in water bag filtration systems...but wanted to see if anyone had an easier way.

Thanks for any thoughts!

mark henley
(flash582) - F
converting 1 L bottle lid to bite valve on 05/13/2008 11:57:27 MDT Print View

If you use the narrow mouth plastic bottles instead of the wide mouth Atofina bottles the Platy hydration system screws right on (as well as on 2 L bottle standard threads) without modification.

Carry a Ziplock to help pour water in from the stream to the bottle and you've got a winner.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
CamelBak bottles with tubes. on 05/13/2008 13:17:08 MDT Print View

CamelBak makes a tube kit with a bite valve for their "Better Bottle" containers.

The Platypus hose sounds like just the trick for bottled water containers.