>: ( Respecting the G Spot thread
Display Avatars Sort By:
Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: >: ( Respecting the G Spot thread on 05/13/2008 18:43:52 MDT Print View

Guys

Of course we don't mind a bit of off-topic stuff. But to answer Miguel directly, we received several complaints about this case - and that has never happened before.

Yes, self-regulation has worked just fine in the past, and we want to keep it that way. Maybe we just gave it all a nudge in the right direction?

Cheers, and let the debates continue.

Roger Caffin

Re: Re: Re: Ben is right - forums need to be interesting. on 05/13/2008 18:46:19 MDT Print View

Hi Allison

We would certainly be interested in your serious comparative review of merino wool, Cuban and DriDucks thongs ... but as you suggested, it would need to be supported by some excellent photos!

:-)
Cheers

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Respecting the G Spot thread on 05/13/2008 19:22:01 MDT Print View

Allison, I am still waiting to find out from Roger about what kind of underwear dries quickly and still feels comfortable. So far I have resisted buying the Icebreaker version but one can only hold out for so long.
I have no expertise in this but I would assume that a G string made out of Cuben fiber could be a bit uncomfortable, but go ahead with the superfine merino version.
If I remember correctly, an Italian expedition set off for the Amazonian forest to find the G spot some time ago but has never returned. I wonder what has happened to them.
Please move this to the Gear section if necessary.
Franco

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Respecting the Chaff Branch! on 05/13/2008 19:33:43 MDT Print View

Hey!!! There's a seperate gear thread, and I'd appreciate if you folks can take your driducks talk over there! Topics with their own dedicated branches should not be cluttering up our Chaff branch! :)

Edited by ben2world on 05/13/2008 19:37:12 MDT.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Nothing worse than snoozy on 05/13/2008 19:47:54 MDT Print View

Sites where you have to stay on topic 100% of the time. ;-) A little humor is a good thing. I quit posting over at you-know-who due to the hand spanking involved SO often! Things were moderated that just didn't need to be modded!

And anyways, Merino wool thongs would be the choice. Lol!

Sadly Icebreaker doesn't sell them yet :-D
http://www.icebreaker.com/site/catalog07/weight.html?gender=woman&range=Nature&weight=150

Shawn Basil
(Bearpaw) - F

Locale: Southeast
">: ( Respecting the G Spot thread" on 05/13/2008 20:02:59 MDT Print View

I was really enjoying the original thread. Granted, it's not on topic and maybe moving it to chaff would have been better. But:

1) It's not easy to be a moderator. I moderate at another site that is pretty mellow, but it still can be a real judgement call if a troll shows up. I'll give the mods the benefit of the doubt here.

2) Folks here need to just lighten up. I can't help but notice some folks here get worked up about really trivial things. SMILE, have fun, learn, and get out and hike. Life will be good. Party on dudes!!! ;-)

Andrew Richardson
(arichardson6) - F

Locale: North East
You guys and gals are the best... on 05/13/2008 20:29:24 MDT Print View

..and yeah, sometimes you get worked up over trivial things. Yeah, I think it's been happening a lot lately and I know that for myself, someone who uses the "Last 50 posts" link the most, it can be tough cause it takes up the whole page. This makes all of my posts move down the page and then I don't get enough attention :(

Of course, I kid, and this doesn't bother me at all., but I could see how it could bother some people. I have fun on these forums and I enjoy "hanging" out here. This a great community and there is a wealth of information here, there is a ton to learn, but at the same, there is good fun to be had! The fact is we're all passionate about backpacking and that's pretty awesome!

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Nothing worse than snoozy on 05/13/2008 20:48:19 MDT Print View

Ahh, Sarah (and guys), I am sadly allergic to woolen clothing, and I can't honestly think of anything worse than wearing it on such a sensitive area. And of course cuben is just too darned expensive :( But women's underwear in general might be interesting to discuss, with or without photos...bras included.

Roger Caffin

Re: Respecting the G Spot thread on 05/13/2008 21:34:52 MDT Print View

Hi Franco

> Allison, I am still waiting to find out from Roger about what kind of underwear dries quickly and still feels comfortable. So far I have resisted buying the Icebreaker version but one can only hold out for so long.

Try:
http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Underwear/ExOfficio%20Give-N-Go%20Briefs/Owner%20Review%20by%20Roger%20Caffin/
for one idea.

Cheers

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Franco on 05/13/2008 21:56:00 MDT Print View

The Icebreaker stuff is SO soft it is like silk. Freakish expensive though...ugh!

Allison, I feel for you :-( And you live where all the god Merino comes from :-(

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: Respecting the G Spot thread on 05/14/2008 01:47:30 MDT Print View

But women's underwear in general might be interesting to discuss, with or without photos...bras included.

Allison, go right ahead! I probably won't have much to add to such a discussion, but it certainly wouldn't BOTHER me! (^J^)/" I certainly won't be prodding Roger to cut off further discussion!

Perhaps we might want to consider no-see-um underwear all around? (men, too, of course!) ;-P

Edited by butuki on 05/14/2008 07:23:15 MDT.

David Erekson
(finallyME) - F

Locale: Utah desert
Respecting the G Spot thread on 05/14/2008 08:51:07 MDT Print View

In the spirit of staying off topic…..

Jesse, post away.

Ben, I liked your thread. Like Jesse, I feel a strong desire to post something at the end.

Allison, how can a Kiwi be allergic to wool? It’s like a Mexican being allergic to jalapenos. :( I also think it is funny that your water heating system is called a wet-back. :D

Shawn, I have been trying to decide if I like your avatar on this site better than the one you moderate. This one definitely shows you have “bearpaws” with those big ol’ hands. The other one with the hood scrunched up around your face just doesn’t convey the same message.

I think I like Sarah’s avatar better on this site as well. Probably because the other one is harder to see.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Respecting the G Spot thread on 05/14/2008 13:25:56 MDT Print View

But no current avatar can hold a stick to Roger Chaffins latest avatar.

Austin Powers

Edited by jshann on 05/14/2008 14:42:52 MDT.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Re: Re: Respecting the G Spot thread on 05/14/2008 14:26:21 MDT Print View

Oh Man, I'm splitting myself with laughter at the image of "no-see-um" underwear...

Roger, thanks for that link. I actually have the womens version of those in my drawer, but they don't have any cotton lining in the crotch which makes tham feel very, ummmmm, clammy to me. As I think about it, a comparative review of UL underwear is in fact a very good idea for this site, but underwear more than any other piece of 'gear' are a very personal taste/style kinda item.

As yet, I haven't met any women hikers who go commando!

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: Re: Respecting the G Spot thread on 05/14/2008 14:45:10 MDT Print View

I have heard of some wearing mesh underwear. I'm not sure if they were myoged, bought or cut out of some bathing suits. The latter has been done fer shure.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Respecting the G Spot thread: MESH underwear?? on 05/14/2008 16:04:54 MDT Print View

John, that really begs the question ? "Why do people wear underwear"? I know the reasons I wear them would not be satisfied by mesh...nor by going commando, but maybe it's different for (some) guys...??

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: MESH underwear?? on 05/14/2008 18:49:01 MDT Print View

Why wear underwear? I'd have to say most wear them to keep their overgarment cleaner from various bodily fluids/materials. So I agree that mesh would not suffice for those purposes. Some guys are not worried about all that so going commando or mesh underwear is okay for them. Females would have a harder time attempting to tell when "flo" was gonna visit.

How's that for a G rated explanation?

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: MESH underwear?? on 05/14/2008 20:18:46 MDT Print View

HAH HAAAH! I'm just waiting for someone to contact the administration about not putting gear talk in the G-Spot forum! I guess that goes to show how our minds work here at BPL... no matter how much you might think that some of us don't know how to stay on topic in other forums there really is nothing to fear. Gear is never far from anyone's mind here.

Finetrack, a Japanese company that makes gear for "sawanobori" ( creek climbing ) makes special mesh underwear that allows perspiration to quickly leave the body while at the same time making water from outside run off like water on a duck's back. I've been using one of their short sleeve mesh undershirts and underpants especially for use with my Paramo jacket and pants and Rab Vapor Trail smock. Because both system rely on active moisture movement from the inside to the outside and work best on bare skin the mesh underwear works wonderfully in conjunction with them. Pertex-Pile systems like that of the Rab Vapour-Trail clothes and those of Buffalo and Montane work best when one is not wearing any clothes underneath, but I dislike boarding trains to the trailheads here in Japan wearing nothing underneath, so the mesh underwear solves the problem.

Photobucket

The least no-see-um underwear might do is keep away pesky bugs! ;-P

Edited by butuki on 05/14/2008 20:20:59 MDT.

Roger Caffin

Re: Re: MESH underwear?? on 05/14/2008 20:19:09 MDT Print View

> Why wear underwear? I'd have to say most wear them to keep their overgarment cleaner from various bodily fluids/materials.

Exactly - for me.
Plus a little warmth in winter in the snow.

Cheers

Adam Kilpatrick
(oysters) - MLife

Locale: South Australia
Re: Re: Mesh Underwear on 05/14/2008 21:59:39 MDT Print View

I have tried going commando in the past, but I just can't hack it. Its ok if I'm in the office all day...but if I'm walking or doing anything active, "bounce" and getting things "squished" is an issue.

A good pair of men's underwear is akin to a good sports bra IMHO. AMEN to motion control!

Also, while there is the element of absorbing smells or whatever...mesh would be easier to clean and probably wouldn't absorb too much at all. Much better to let it all drip down your leg I reckon rather than soak into your jocks on long trips.

Sorry if any of that was "beyond chaff".