>: ( Respecting the G Spot thread
Display Avatars Sort By:
John S.
(jshann) - F
>: ( Respecting the G Spot thread on 05/12/2008 18:42:38 MDT Print View

Dang, I'd much rather Roger have moved that thread here and let people act up a bit rather than go "Bernie" (of pb infame) on us and stifle the rare fun thread on this forum. At least it wasn't outright deleted.

Edited by jshann on 05/12/2008 18:46:19 MDT.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: >: ( Respecting the G Spot thread on 05/12/2008 19:21:06 MDT Print View

Yeah, especially as now I'm not sure if it's OK to start a new thread in the G spot on G-strings...enquiring minds want to know, but I don't dare risk the wrath of Roger!

Still, I guess the hard-core gearheads didn't like their board cluttered up with our riff-raff

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
re THAT thread on 05/12/2008 21:05:19 MDT Print View

Hey guys

We were getting complaints about THAT thread, and it seemed time to act. I don't know how to move a whole thread anyhow - sorry.

Chaff - anything goes (well, within the bounds of politeness!).

Maybe we could have a thread on G-strings here, but only if you provide the photos...
Um - on second thoughts I think I might withdraw that comment!

G-Spot - let's keep it for gear?

Cheers
Roger
(the mild)

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: re THAT thread on 05/13/2008 01:45:46 MDT Print View

There have been some truly fun threads here, even on the G-Spot Forum. I think it would be a tragedy if those with no humor were to dictate how others here at BPL must conduct their conversations. After all, no one is REQUIRED to read every post that comes along. If you don't like something just ignore it. Works better than the delete button and certainly takes up a lot less of your time than lodging a full-on complaint. I feel that if the thread stays basically on-topic and is polite and respectful NO ONE has the right to ask for that conversation to be ended. Personally I saw absolutely nothing wrong with Ben's thread about respecting the G-Spot. It was just a tongue-in-cheek joking around about the G-Spot itself... so therefore perfectly on topic.

Edited by butuki on 05/13/2008 01:46:37 MDT.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re:THAT thread on 05/13/2008 12:56:49 MDT Print View

Roger:

I am the OP of THAT thread. Considering that I made it crystal clear from the start that it was just a satire thread -- and considering that jokes/satires are exceedingly rare at the G Spot -- I honestly don't know what the fuss is about. Are UL hikers really that small minded??? Methinks it's probably the same one or two people complaining... the type who can't stand it when everything isn't exactly "just so".

If anything, the thread that got out of hand is the one about "American made gear". I posted my satire to lighten things up and again, see nothing wrong with that. It's not like the G Spot is plagued with satires.

Edited by ben2world on 05/13/2008 16:27:00 MDT.

Jesse Glover
(hellbillylarry) - F

Locale: southern appalachians
I dont understand. on 05/13/2008 13:13:36 MDT Print View

Can someone please explain to me what the big deal is?

Sven Klingemann
(svenklingemann) - F
Re: Re:THAT thread on 05/13/2008 13:25:36 MDT Print View

Sorry - I have to agree with Roger on that one. Of course humor is always welcome in the G-spot but when it is nothing but humor and totally unrelated to anything backpacking-related it may as well be shifted to Chaff. I don't want to spend my time reading through threads to find something that is backpacking-related - it gets annoying after a while. The again I am German, so maybe humor is not my thing anyway. LOL

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re:THAT thread on 05/13/2008 13:30:34 MDT Print View

Sven:

If the G Spot truly were peppered with non-related topics, then obviously, we would ALL agree with Roger! But let's nuance things appropriately here. I started ONE satire in response to the heated exchange in the thread about "American Made Gear". I think you need to be careful about exaggerations -- or else please explain to us how it is that "you are needing to spend time reading throught threads to find something that is backpacking related and how it is getting annoying after a while." How many non-gear threads are there on the G Spot right now anyway? I see a very small handful -- like one or two.

Edited by ben2world on 05/13/2008 13:34:30 MDT.

Sven Klingemann
(svenklingemann) - F
Re: Re:THAT thread on 05/13/2008 13:42:57 MDT Print View

Ben:
"Nothing but humor" means that the thread is entirely unrelated to backpacking. The best example is the one that you started.
I have seen enough threads that deviate from the (backpacking-related)initial topic and turn into discussions on politics, economic philosophies and such. Do I have exact numbers? No. But in many instance threads weave in and out of backpacking-related discussions and for someone who was initially very interested in the topic (including myself) that does become annoying.
The overall point is that it is certainly not ONE thread that is "disruptive" in any way but that there are established forums to accomodate different types of discussions and debates, which allows people to seek out what they are looking for. For me it makes more sense to stick to this "order" than to start arguing about how many non-backpacking related threads should or should not be part of a specific forum. Heck, I enjoy reading humorous threads as much as anybody else. Let's keep them where they belong though. And maybe people will even be smart enough to shift their discussions to "Chaff" when they seem to deviate too much from the initial backpacking-related topic. Then nobody else will have to do it for us.

Edited by svenklingemann on 05/13/2008 13:43:51 MDT.

Richard Matthews
(food) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Ben is right - forums need to be interesting. on 05/13/2008 13:51:06 MDT Print View

Sometimes the topic drift that happens after someone asks the classic "what is the best ******" will bring out creative technique and gear design. A little latitude is needed to allow that to happen.

The forums must also be interesting and entertaining to induce the experienced people to continue to participate.

If you want a backpacking wiki then go to the Practical Backpacker. If you want to interact with other hikers then a forum is the appropriate place.

However, Ben before you get a big head. Satire is difficult in person, and near impossible on the internet.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re:THAT thread on 05/13/2008 13:55:34 MDT Print View

Sven:

Nothing wrong with your reasoning -- except that following through will mean no exceptions! IMO, having a balance where folks know to follow rules but then also being accomodating toward an occasional diversion is much better than a black/white - all/none operating paradigm. How many posts were off topic in the G Spot -- to warrant your brand of exaggeration up above???

Most folks are familiar with the forum at "PracticalBackpacking" -- and most folks also choose not to post there. That forum now gets about 2 postings per day. It's what happens when rules are imposed so rigidly! Sure, a few people will feel very comfortable there -- but most of us don't thrive in that kind of rigidity -- and the number shows! Hate to see BPL turning into that -- particularly when the rules really are being followed here at BPL already!

EDIT: Just saw Richard's post -- he beat me to it regarding Practical Backpacking. Great minds think alike. But no worries about being "big headed". Most all of us here are pretty good at exercising our judgment -- as evidenced by the very infrequency of off-topic posts -- which goes right back to Jesse Glover's question up above!

Edited by ben2world on 05/13/2008 14:12:23 MDT.

Sven Klingemann
(svenklingemann) - F
Re: Ben is right - forums need to be interesting. on 05/13/2008 14:11:44 MDT Print View

"The forums must also be interesting and entertaining to induce the experienced people to continue to participate"

Not sure why you can't go to Chaff AND to the G-Spot and feel interested and entertained. Nothing prevents you from participating in both backpacking-related and unrelated discussions. I don't think that shifting between forums is a great burden, is it? I don't think that anybody has a problem with entertaining discussions that still manage to either stay on topic or eventually get back to that topic.
But this is not what seems to be a point of "contention" here. It is those threads that either start out as being unrelated to backpacking per so or that end up as such, without getting back in any way to anything backpacking-related.

"If you want a backpacking wiki then go to the Practical Backpacker. If you want to interact with other hikers then a forum is the appropriate place"

It seems to me that one can have humorous and varied discussions on a specific backpacking-related topic, right?
Yes, I want to interact with other hikers. Interacting does not mean that all topics are to be discussed in any way or form in all forums! That is precisely why we have different sub-sections! I am sure that you guys would be the first ones to complain if I posted my review and rating of "Superbad" (or any other movie) in the gear review section.
So yes - let's take advantage of this site for all discussions - where they likely belong and where people will be looking for them as well.

Edited by svenklingemann on 05/13/2008 14:12:53 MDT.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re:THAT thread on 05/13/2008 14:18:08 MDT Print View

Sven:

As mentioned above, I posted my satire on the G Spot in response to some of the heated, even angry postings in the thread "American Made Gear". The point is to let those same posters appreciate just how ridiculous things have gotten in the "American Made" post! Posting this particular satire in Chaff sounds logical -- but will probably lose the audience that frequent the G Spot. In other words, my satire was not aimed at BPL in general -- but to very specific posters.

Again, without negating anything that you wrote above, I wnat to bring your attention to the very "infrequency" of off-topic postings.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
>: ( Respecting the G Spot thread on 05/13/2008 14:23:50 MDT Print View

my satire was not aimed at BPL in general -- but to very specific posters

The material being of no interest to BPL in general is the best argument for keeping such threads in the chaff section.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: >: ( Respecting the G Spot thread on 05/13/2008 14:46:06 MDT Print View

Ouch! Cameron, we'll just agree to disagree. Roger and BPL will continue to set the direction for all forum members.

Edited by ben2world on 05/13/2008 16:23:50 MDT.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Re: Ben is right - forums need to be interesting. on 05/13/2008 16:18:30 MDT Print View

"Not sure why you can't go to Chaff AND to the G-Spot and feel interested and entertained. Nothing prevents you from participating in both backpacking-related and unrelated discussions. I don't think that shifting between forums is a great burden, is it?"

Most people who visit the BPL forums will go to the G spot first and foremost. For me it is the only bookmarked link I have at BPL, and I infrequently find time to visit most other forums, especially as the current forum set-up doesn't allow me to quickly view which forums of interest have new and relevant threads.

Anyway, in response to Roger, I can just see my new thread now...right up there in the G spot next to photos of the newset tent pitched in some breathtaking setting, there will be Allison with her photos wearing the newest 150gsm merino thong in a nice outdoor setting...or perhaps a g-string made out of cuben, or the leftover crotch I cut out of my DriDucks.......the possibilities are limitless, humurous if you're not a prude, and totally relevant ot UL gear. Gotta be careful what you write around here though-if other members don't complain you may still get busted by the robo-cop. So far it hasn't allowed me to post the words "wet-back" (in reference tou our water-heating system) without the hyphen, or P.O.O.P. without the stops. profanity apparently :( Imagine trying to post a review of the book "How Do Bears *excrete* in the Woods"!

Edited by retropump on 05/13/2008 16:19:47 MDT.

Jesse Glover
(hellbillylarry) - F

Locale: southern appalachians
Re: Re: Ben is right - forums need to be interesting. on 05/13/2008 16:47:46 MDT Print View

Well I for one want to know what Sven thought of "Superbad". I haven't seen it but the previews were hilarious.

Also am I the only one tempted to post another reply on "that thread" Just to stick it to the man.

Edited by hellbillylarry on 05/13/2008 16:49:01 MDT.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
>: ( Respecting the G Spot thread on 05/13/2008 16:54:42 MDT Print View

Sorry Ben, I have a real knack for coming across as hostile on the internet. I wasn't personally upset by your thread, and was just tossing my $0.02 into the bucket. I'd happy to see off topic threads once in a while, and would not want to see the forum become heavily moderated.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: >: ( Respecting the G Spot thread on 05/13/2008 17:41:03 MDT Print View

Thanks, Cameron. I appreciate it!

Go, Jesse, do it! :)

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: >: ( Respecting the G Spot thread on 05/13/2008 18:22:52 MDT Print View

Whoa! What a whirlwind to wake up to! In all my time here at BPL I haven't seen so much talk about the appropriateness of forum content. People have been very tolerant of drifting conversations. What is so different now?

I have two simple questions: Is anyone truly unhappy with the forums and the community here? Has the community not done an admirable job of regulating itself?