Forum Index » Gear Swap » WTB- Gatewood Cape

Display Avatars Sort By:
Tad Englund
(bestbuilder) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
WTB- Gatewood Cape on 05/08/2008 12:50:28 MDT Print View

I'm looking for a new or slightly used Gatewood Cape, from a non-smoking home. Or used in great shape (good deal), I'm trying to outfit myself, wife and 2 teenagers so funds are low and needs are high! The Cape costs $110 new, so please make a good offer (my wife would rather pay a few dollars more to get it from the store if there isn't much difference) help if you can!

Edited by bestbuilder on 05/09/2008 10:48:20 MDT.

G Dup
(lococoyo) - F
Re: WTB- Gatewood Cape on 05/08/2008 14:11:07 MDT Print View

Sorry, I don't have a cape for sale but I was just curious. I'm assuming you plan on going on trips together? Were you planning on sleeping with your wife in the poncho? I ask because I have thought about this before...

It seems so much more efficient (in weight and price) to buy one large tarp to all sleep under and then buy 4 cheap ponchos. Even if you get the cape used it'll be cheaper. Think about how fast a tarp would set up with 3 people helping as well.

gatewood cape 11 oz $110
lunar solo stake set 2 oz $12
lunar solo footprint 4.5 oz $8.50
total 17.5 oz $130.50
total x4 70 oz $522
(didn't include $25 carbon pole for each cape - use hiking poles - otherwise its $622)

Surely you can find a large tarp (with ground sheet and stakes) and 4 cheap ponchos for much less and much more simplicity than the above.

Of course the cape is nice if you plan on going alone or with one other person - but think about if you are upgrading - then you have to sell 4 capes instead of one tarp.

There are so many options for you - you've probably thought of this and probably weren't planning on getting 4 capes. But just in case...

Tad Englund

Re: Re: WTB- Gatewood Cape on 05/08/2008 16:11:49 MDT Print View

Lococoyo, thanks for the concern.
I have a Silnylon 2 man tarp but I'm looking for something to add to it that I can use for 2 small people (wife and daughter) and more important I can use it when solo, or when I'm with the scouts (I'm a scout master) and tend to sleep alone.
I love your math- you can see what I'm up against with packs bags, clothing and such.

Tad Englund

WTB- Gatewood Cape on 05/13/2008 10:29:53 MDT Print View

Bump

Perrin Lindelauf
(kalten) - F

Locale: Who Knows - Can't Read the Signs
used cape on 05/13/2008 18:57:32 MDT Print View

I've got one -- sent a private message.

xavier dor
(waluyo)

Locale: A bit more East, a bit more North..
Gatewook Cape wanted... on 05/14/2008 16:03:47 MDT Print View

Hi,
if ever Tad do not want the shelter, or if by chance, somebody else wants to sell one too... Please let me know!
I'm interested!

Don't hesitate to contact me!

Sincerely

Xavier