Idaho Mt Borah Area?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Christopher Chupka
(FatTexan) - M

Locale: NTX
Idaho Mt Borah Area? on 05/08/2008 12:47:22 MDT Print View

I have the opportunity for a 3 to 5 day trip in the Mt Borah area. I would like to include a climb of Borah in a possible loop.

Any ideas?

Bears?

Thanks

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Idaho Mt Borah Area? on 05/08/2008 18:10:41 MDT Print View

Judging by the descriptions at SummitPost it looks like a great peak. I would estimate that considering the peak's proximity to the Yellowstone ecosystem it is still well within grizzly country. This is all hearsay as I've not visited the Borah Roadless Area myself. I estimate it will be a quality excursion as Idaho is home to some wonderful country.

David Neumann
(idahomtman) - M

Locale: Northern Idaho
No Griz on 05/08/2008 19:43:54 MDT Print View

No need to worry about Grizzly Bears in the Mt. Borah region. The peak is considered a long one day climb from the nearest roadhead. One very exposed section near the summit. Class 2-3.

Christopher Chupka
(FatTexan) - M

Locale: NTX
Lost River Range Traverse on 05/08/2008 19:55:44 MDT Print View

I am looking at the Lost River Range Traverse. Dave, do you know what the snow conditions are? Am I going to need snowshoes, ice axe?

I have about 5 days to kill. Sam, don't say Grizzly to loud, the word makes me nervous.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Idaho Mt Borah Area? on 05/08/2008 21:08:43 MDT Print View

Thanks for chiming in, Dave as I was getting pretty speculative there. This photo below from May of 2007 may be of some insight into the status of the peak in May. According to my sources this climb is typically accomplished in late summer. I'm sure Dave could comment on this as well as he is much more local than I.

Mt. Borah, Idaho