Seaming synthetics in a quilt
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jeff Cadorin
(JeffCadorin) - F

Locale: paper beats rock
Seaming synthetics in a quilt on 05/06/2008 15:50:45 MDT Print View

I am thinking of making a quilt that has 2.5xp for the chest area and 5.0xp for the leg area. What is the best way to seam these together and make this transition without creating a cold spot?

thanks
Jeff

Elliott Wolin
(ewolin) - MLife

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia
RE: Seaming synthetics in a quilt on 05/06/2008 16:59:33 MDT Print View

When I made my RayWay quilt the instructions were simple...just take some fairly tough thread, butt the two pieces together, and hand sew with big loops. Seems to work fine. My loops were about 1 to 1 1/2 inches apart.

Jeff Cadorin
(JeffCadorin) - F

Re: RE: Seaming synthetics in a quilt on 05/06/2008 18:51:56 MDT Print View

That sounds like a good way to do it. Thanks for the tip Elliott. You wouldnt happen to remember the thread you used would you? Maybe some super small yarn or crochet stuff???

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: Seaming synthetics in a quilt on 05/06/2008 19:12:17 MDT Print View

just buy more 2.5oz than you need and fold it over on the bottom half so it is 5oz on the lower portion, then you avoid any cold sport where 2 insulations are basted together

Jeff Cadorin
(JeffCadorin) - F

Re: Re: Seaming synthetics in a quilt on 05/06/2008 19:25:16 MDT Print View

Tim, that would be alot more expensive. But would definatly ease my mind of having any cold spots. hmm...

peter kvamme
(karacolor) - F

Locale: midwest
Re: Seaming synthetics in a quilt on 05/06/2008 21:43:00 MDT Print View

I agree with Tim, and I dont think it would be that much of a price increase.
Lets say you buy three yards of 2.5oz. Depending on how tall you are, this would give you close to a yard of double insulated area, probably as much as you want? $29.85 from thru-hiker
The alternative is probably to get 1.5 yards of 2.5oz and 1 yard of 5oz, overlapping a little where they meet and sew together. $28.88 from thru-hiker

But thru-hiker is the only place I know of off hand that sells 5oz XP, and they only take orders for full yards.

Jeff Cadorin
(JeffCadorin) - F

Re: Re: Seaming synthetics in a quilt on 05/06/2008 22:26:36 MDT Print View

Well after actually runing the numbers(and not just assuming) its only 3 dollars more to buy 4 yards of 2.5 then 2 yards of 5.0 and 1 yard of 2.5

Thanks for opening my eyes to this option guys. Seems alot more practical then seaming it together

If I already had the material then the threading of the two materials would be a great option.

Elliott Wolin
(ewolin) - MLife

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia
RE: Seaming synthetics in a quilt on 05/07/2008 07:03:11 MDT Print View

I used some heavy carpet thread, if I recall. Just something lying around in the bottom of my sewing box. Or possibly I doubled up some not so heavy thread.

I don't think it matters much as long as you don't use thread that is too fine.