Big Agnes Air Core mattresses
Display Avatars Sort By:
Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Big Agnes Air Core mattresses on 05/04/2008 23:18:27 MDT Print View

A backing friend of mine called to ask if the Big Agnes Air Core Mummy (reg.) would do as well as a Thermarest Prolite 3 (reg.) I said that since the
BA was a somewhat insulated W/ Primaloft it would do since the Primaloft would reduce heat loss by convection, the main problem with air mattresses.

Personally I feel the Primaloft, when it loses its loft, will not do as good a job insulating as a Thermarest Prolite 3 but I have no experience W/ a BA Air Core mattress.

She wanted a more "comfy" lightweight mattress than the Thermarest Prolite 3, thus the BA.

Comments??

Eric

Edited by Danepacker on 05/04/2008 23:21:03 MDT.

Andrew King
(drewboy) - F

Locale: Arizona
re:Big Agnes Air Core mattresses on 05/05/2008 07:33:01 MDT Print View

Be sure to tell your friend to order the "Insulated Air Core" mattress. Big Agnes also sells an "Air Core" mattress that contains no insulation at all. That said, for me the Insulated Air Core mattress has held up well down to around freezing (32F), but the performance at lower temps seemed to be highly dependent on how much you inflate it. A Prolite 4 would probably provide you with more reliable warmth at lower temps.

Edit: just looked at your post and saw you are inquiring about prolite 3 (not 4). Sorry, I have no experience with that pad.

Edited by drewboy on 05/05/2008 07:35:00 MDT.

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
Big Agnes Air Core mattresses on 05/05/2008 14:05:47 MDT Print View

I have an Insulated BA Air Core and a Prolite 4. Comfort definitely has to go to the BA Air Core and the insulating value has been fine as well although I've not used it below freezing. If I was going to use it below freezing I'd add another thin insulating layer but I'd probably do that with either of these mats. The Prolite 3 is .5 inches thinner than my Prolite 4 so my guess would be that it will be less comfortable and colder than the BA Insulated Air Core and they weigh about the same.