Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Water and Tanking Up
Display Avatars Sort By:
Chad Miller
(chadnsc)

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota
My drinking habits. . . on 05/05/2008 11:57:18 MDT Print View

Well I have no medical or scientific knowledge about the subject but. . .

I carry a 2 liter hydration bladder. Sip on it throughout the day and re-fill it just before heading out in the morning, at lunch, before dinner, and after dinner. Basically I consume 6-7 liters of water in a 24 hour period while backpacking 20-24 miles a day.

I've never been dehydrated while hiking never had a muscle cramp, and never been sore the next day. I have no idea if the amount of water I drink has anything to do with this but I am a big guy with a good deal of muscle.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Water and Tanking Up on 05/05/2008 13:43:35 MDT Print View

I'm lucky that the mountain streams in Scotland are safe to drink and plentiful so i never carry or sterilize water. I just dip and scoop as i go along.

Scott Bentz
(scottbentz) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Too Much on 05/05/2008 17:50:10 MDT Print View

One problem I have is I like to hike new areas. That means I have to rely on maps showing water. They are not always reliable from season to season. I really hate tanking up with 2+ liters and then passing a great water source about 4-5 miles in. Sometimes, because I had so much water at the time, I don't take water at that source and then become a bit short before the next source. Frustrating.

If I know the area I don't have that problem. I do like to have a bit extra just in case of emergencies. I have used it in the past and was glad to have it.

Edited by scottbentz on 05/05/2008 17:51:56 MDT.

Martin Rye
(rye1966) - F

Locale: UK
Clean water on 05/05/2008 18:08:14 MDT Print View

I would drink from a Scottish stream high up, but boil it low down as I don’t see the point in risking it. I’m looking at getting an Aquagear Water Filter. For a bit of info check http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product357.asp weighting only 180g this would just mean simply filling up as I go and having a very fast way of having clean and safe water.

Adam Kilpatrick
(oysters) - MLife

Locale: South Australia
Re: Re: "Water and tanking up" on 05/05/2008 22:16:31 MDT Print View

A south australian perspective:
its pretty rare, in fact, never happens that we won't start a walk or start out from a water source with less than 2L of water here. Even in winter. Water sources are just too few and far between.

How much we actually carry depends alot on known available sources. I have carried over 10L at times before, which was meant to be enough for four solid days of walking (being REALLY conservative with how we used it).

On trips in Tasmania I haven't carried much more than a pint-most days I didn't actually need to carry any, but there is a bit of comfort in knowing you don't have to wait at all for even half an hour if you want a drink. Walking with so much water around was sheer bliss!!!

Jon Hancock
(bigjackbrass)

Locale: Northwest England
Water and Tanking Up in unfamiliar territory on 05/06/2008 13:29:09 MDT Print View

Ray Mears, the well-known bushcraft teacher and television presenter, was interviewed recently (he has a new series out soon) and I was interested to hear about some of the stories he has been researching. Apparently it's not possible to retrace the early expeditions across Australia without additional water because so many of the old water sources are now dry or very unreliable, for a variety of reasons. I certainly wouldn't trust a map for water locations if I was venturing into an unfamiliar area, not without very recent local advice.