Forum Index » GEAR » how to hammock camp?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Richard Matthews
(food) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Cost of Hammocking on 05/01/2009 07:16:05 MDT Print View

Nate,

With a double bottom hammock you can use you existing self-inflating or ccf pad.

Tom Caldwell
(Coldspring) - F

Locale: Ozarks
how to hammock camp on 05/01/2009 07:43:40 MDT Print View

You're never going to get it right the first time anyway, unless you buy a Warbonnet Blackbird and a MacCat Tarp.

Did you notice the Speers currently for sale on here? Buy that, get you a cheap tarp, and a cheap CCF pad and you'd be good to go through the summer. You can figure out what you like and don't like before you spend real money.

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Locale: Phoenix
hammock quilts on 05/01/2009 07:55:13 MDT Print View

Kickass quilts are a cheap alternative to down, using climasheild green - they are designed to fit Hennessey - but John says on his website that he is confident they will work on other end-gathered hammocks with an easy suspension modification. the website doesnt reflect the true cost, i am quite sure the quilts are reduced to $120, not the $180 as stated. ask John for all details: kickassquilts.com

otherwise, the Jacks R Better Bear Mtn. Bridge hammock has a flat lay design and a pad sleeve. you can use your t-rest, and a couple of ccf "wings" to get you down into the high 20's without any issue of moisture. in the Bridge, using a pad actually makes the hammock seem larger.

*note that in a hammock, an inflatable pad should be 'barely' inflated. a BA aircore or a Exped Downmat pad should be inflated to about 3/4" thick. a t-rest should be opened and allowed to self inflate, and then release air in hammock to get the right "feel". Think of a pad in a hammock like a water balloon.. try sitting on it, and it shoots out from under you. of course, a pad sleeve helps this issue. I dont believe in the case of either style pads that this reduces the R value. It may, but i havent seen evidence is what I mean. CCF pads can come in a wide selection. I have a local Volara (poker table foam) dealer that wants a mere $7 a yard at 60" long for the 3/8 size. If I were to buy 2 yards, id have two 30" wide pads at 72" long. For only $14.
check your local upholstery retailer for anything of this sort..its called 2A Volara.
You may find Hennessey Hammocks and ENO in most retail shops, but those "in the know" dont bother with such large scale mainstream production flops, they choose the Warbonnet Blackbird. Ok, take that last statement with tongue in cheek, but seriously the Warbonnet Blackbird is the shiznit!
(Tom, dont forget, no BB is fully equipped without a Te-Wa underquilt!)

also, you wont have to spend tons of money to get the "hang" of hammocking. this first pic is of my $20 hammock, a $10 foam pad (army surplus) and a homemade tarp (severely undersized..) but hey, i was hanging! this was August of '07 and my first useable set-up. I have gone to ground once since then and that was researched and planned.. (no hammocks allowed in GC-or so it seems) the point is, for under $75 i was hangin'
first

the second pic is my current setup, the Blackbird single layer, under a spinnaker MacCat tarp. The blue underquilt is made by me, which im also making in small batches for others. a more "professional" approach.
current

if you can remember, i used to make and sell cat cut tarps to many of the BPL members.. and sleeping under a tarp on the ground is exaclty how i started sleeping under a tarp above the ground.. just an example of backpacking evolution. Funny, we spent the past million years trying to leave the trees and all these chimps trying to get back into them.. lol!

Edited by mikeinfhaz on 05/01/2009 16:15:25 MDT.

john Tier
(Peter_pan) - M

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA
Bottom Side Insulation on 05/01/2009 08:15:04 MDT Print View

Nate, et al,

One has to screw up pretty badly to get an under quilt wet on a hammock under an adequately sized and pitched tarp. In several hundred nights nights of hammock camping, most in the rain, I've never gotten it wet.... I would add that if you check the archives at Hammockforums.net and Whiteblaze.net you will find this is an oft discussed point and that no one has ever significantly wet an under quilt.

As to the cost of hammock gear and UQs in particular, it is quite comparable to qualty traditional ground set ups.... Three season hammock camp will go about $770....Darn few similiar quality Tents,pads, bags will come in below that figure.

Interesting thing about quality is that you usually get what you pay for....

Transitioning to hammocks is like a pick up truck driver transitioning to a motor cycle.... the cycle is just the start....Helmet, jacket,boots,rain suit etc....But if you want the freedom, style, culture of "riding" you gear up and get it right..... And, even when you are all set up for motor cycling, 99 percent don't get rid of their truck.

Remember that i'm biased but these are verifiable facts and a reasonable analogy.

Pan

baz john
(baz) - F
to hang or not to hang? on 05/01/2009 13:45:34 MDT Print View

sorry if I'm hijacking the thread here... was wondering if any folks in the know can tell me if i'm on the right track here.
looking to hang, and thinking of the blackbird or jrB bridge. not sure tarpwise, maybe a MacCat or homemade or Siltarp2>>>>
i tried hanging a few years ago but I've problem shoulders now and need as much move around space as possible or possibly a more stable flat space like the bridge hammock. I'm using a long IAC and various ccf pads and i'm thinking of making or buying a quilt later in the summer.
anything i should consider before taking the plunge??
cheers
baz

Andrew King
(drewboy) - F

Locale: Arizona
Wide shoulder issue on 05/01/2009 14:16:24 MDT Print View

I think a bridge style hammock would be a good fit for your needs. Some of the commercially available bridge hammocks have had people reporting a bit of shoulder squeeze, but that may not apply to you. Depending on your size, you might want to consider having someone build you a custom ultralight one. Te-wa has built a few really nice custom bridge hammocks.