"No need for name calling, ... "

Absolutely hilarious.
Or very, very sad.

-------
True, but let's not make it worse.
Roger Caffin
Online Community Monitor
Backpacking Light

Edited by rcaffin on 06/02/2009 16:32:36 MDT.

Rene de bos
(piemel) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Ummm.... sorry? on 06/02/2009 16:02:17 MDT Print View

Wow, I guess people are offended by that age old saying we have here in the States ...

"It's the Economy Stupid" etcetera?

Sorry.. it was not my intention to offend

Edited by piemel on 06/02/2009 16:04:06 MDT.

Steve O
(HechoEnDetroit) - F

Locale: South Kak
not so fast on 06/02/2009 16:57:33 MDT Print View

I think the jury is still out on this one.

A quick search through google scholar for recent articles turns up a few (although I was just looking at abstracts of course) that are claiming a possible link.

here's an example:
"High consumption of aluminum from drinking water may be a risk factor for Alzheimer's disease." 2009
http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/169/4/489

Monty Montana
(TarasBulba) - MLife

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Re: Titanium vs Aluminum on 06/02/2009 17:00:17 MDT Print View

Chris, you mentioned that you might be leaning towards an AGG pot...good choice as the wide base allows it to work effeciently with Esbit. Anyhow, I'd like to share a discovery I made last year while cleaning out my gear locker and came across my decades old BS of A mess kit: the pot is the same as AGG's except that it has a bail (handle) and is unanodized. I bet you could pick up a used mess kit at a Good Will for a buck or two and have a pan, bowl, & cup in addition to the pot!

The bail on the pot is really a plus. I did my level best to accomodate the AGG pot's lack of a handle and use my bandana to lift it off the burner and learned that it's a terrible hassle. That means you'll have to use a pot lifter which more often than not will weigh more than the bail. Happy trails!

David Wills
(willspower3) - F
Re: Re: Titanium vs Aluminum on 06/14/2009 15:01:30 MDT Print View

I used the $15, 2 oz Snowpeak Ti bowl w/ foi lid for the 1st 900 miles or so of my ongoing AT thru-hike and it worked great until I wanted something bigger (thru-hiker apetite). I moved to the $10 open country 2 qt aluminum stock pot which was 5.5 ounces after removing the bail and replacing the lid with foil. I'm now moving back to my old trusty 1L SS pot from the snowpeak solo kit ($15 or so) which weighs 5 oz w/ foil lid. There are very affordable options for all materials that all weigh very little. In the future, I will resume using the Ti bowl when I don't need to fix anything larger than a lipton side to keep satisfied. Good luck

Nat Lim
(LithiumMetalman) - F

Locale: Cesspool Central!
MSR Alpine bowl? on 06/16/2009 02:26:07 MDT Print View

I know it isn't aluminum or titanium (It's steel!)

But...

-It's light - 3.6 oz
-It has a wide bottom
-Can hold about a liter (barely)
-It's tough as beans

And

It's cheap : $6.95

bowl

Been using mine for the last 6 years with much success!

Ashley Brown
(ashleyb) - F
MYOG AGG pot handle (very easy) on 06/16/2009 02:49:52 MDT Print View

I did my level best to accomodate the AGG pot's lack of a handle and use my bandana to lift it off the burner and learned that it's a terrible hassle.

The best thing to do is drill a small hole on either side of the pot near the top. Then attach a piece of wire loop between them like an upside down U. Weighs very little (much lighter than a pot lifter) and allows you to pick up the pot easily.

Edited by ashleyb on 06/16/2009 02:50:26 MDT.

Barry P
(BarryP) - F

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)
Re: MYOG AGG pot handle (very easy) on 06/16/2009 09:03:20 MDT Print View

“The best thing to do is drill a small hole on either side of the pot near the top. Then attach a piece of wire loop between them like an upside down U. Weighs very little (much lighter than a pot lifter) and allows you to pick up the pot easily.”

I’m just wondering how you keep the boiling water balanced when the pot is lifted? We’ve had so many scouts spill their water because they use the mess kit pot which also has a bailing wire handle.

-Barry

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: MYOG AGG pot handle (very easy) on 06/16/2009 09:09:42 MDT Print View

"I’m just wondering how you keep the boiling water balanced when the pot is lifted?"

Gravity?

Chad Miller
(chadnsc)

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota
Pouring it out. . . on 06/16/2009 09:11:28 MDT Print View

I think he means when you pour it out you dork.

Barry P
(BarryP) - F

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)
Re: Re: Re: MYOG AGG pot handle (very easy) on 06/16/2009 09:18:40 MDT Print View

“Gravity?”

That’s the problem. These bailing handles are tipsy; the pot easily tips one way or the other--- especially when you don’t want it to!

Gary Boyd
(debiant) - F

Locale: Mid-west
Re: Re: MYOG AGG pot handle (very easy) on 06/16/2009 09:40:48 MDT Print View

I've always used a dishrag as my potholder because it's not at as light weight as a bandana and can be much smaller, and seconds as a dishwasher, so i don't have to get food particles on a bandana or pack towel

Rod Lawlor
(Rod_Lawlor) - MLife

Locale: Australia
Tipping on 06/16/2009 15:01:23 MDT Print View

I'm ALMOST certain that this is only a problem on short wide pots, but is fine on narrow deep ones. The ratio will be something like the height needs to be more than half the width. Of course I'm just speculating here, and I haven't finished my first coffee of the day. I do KNOW that tall narrow pots are very stable with a bail handle.