Forum Index » GEAR » Backpacking lantern?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Sven Klingemann
(svenklingemann) - F
Backpacking lantern? on 04/21/2008 21:03:50 MDT Print View

Guys,
do you know of any small, light lantern that could "replace" a cozy campfire when the latter is not permitted?
Thanks,
Sven

Mike W
(skopeo) - F - M

Locale: British Columbia
Backpacking Lattern... on 04/21/2008 21:29:14 MDT Print View

If you carry a cannister stove you could take a look at the Primus Micron Lantern (4.4 oz), it uses the same canister as the stoves.

I have the heaver version of the Micron (the Easylight - 6.5 oz) which has a glass globe instead of the wire mesh, otherwise identical. Both have a built in lighter.

They are really bright but adjust down really well and can be run at a very low light (on low it hardly uses any gas). I take mine car camping and set it in the fire pit when there is a fire ban. That's how I use up all my partial gas canisters.

I don't take it backpacking too often unless I'm really early or late in the season when the sun disappears way before I'm ready to crash... it makes a good point of focus to sit around (campfire style).

Edited by skopeo on 04/21/2008 23:41:12 MDT.

Sven Klingemann
(svenklingemann) - F
Re: Backpacking Lattern... on 04/21/2008 21:39:15 MDT Print View

Thanks Mike!
I won't have a canister stove ... some other alternatives?

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Backpacking lantern? on 04/21/2008 22:58:35 MDT Print View

You have four choices...

1) Place a LED headlamp with a floodlight beam pattern on the group facing up and pretend it's a fire. A heavier version of this is take one of the LED lanterns.

2) A small candle lantern

3) One of the small butane lanterns if you are willing to carry the extra weight and need a lot of light.

4) Take a portable DVD player and one of the "fire in the fireplace" DVDs :)

Jason Brinkman
(jbrinkmanboi) - MLife

Locale: Idaho
Re: Re: Backpacking lantern? on 04/22/2008 00:51:18 MDT Print View

Candle lantern.

Gail Lusk
(AlohaTink) - F

Locale: In the Middle of No Where!
Tea Candles on 04/22/2008 02:34:31 MDT Print View

Tea candles are lighter than the candle lantern...and give a feeling of warmth.

I recently saw at Wal*Mart a very small LED Lantern for around $6 not the keychain one either. It was about the size of a regular candle lantern.

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Re: Backpacking lantern? on 04/22/2008 03:24:21 MDT Print View

If you place your headlamp in a small plastic bag and shine it upward, the bag diffuses the light a bit providing a poor man's lantern.

John Gilbert
(JohnG10) - F

Locale: Mid-Atlantic
Campfire on 04/22/2008 06:33:53 MDT Print View

Sometimes wood stoves are permitted even when campfires fires are not. Check http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/10793/index.html?skip_to_post=78669#78669 to see if your destination is one of the lucky ones...

Jaiden .
(jaiden) - F
led lantern converts to flashlight on 04/22/2008 06:43:15 MDT Print View

I got one of these for xmas. it's pretty nice!

UCO Mightylite XL Compact LED Flashlight/Lantern

http://www.amazon.com/UCO-MightyLite-Compact-Lantern-Torch/dp/B000Y3PGIY

Search around for a good price. I think REI stopped selling them.

James Loy
(jimbluz) - M

Locale: Pacific NW
Backpacking Lantern on 04/22/2008 11:39:42 MDT Print View

I've tried a few of the alternatives mentioned above. First, I have a Brunton "Glorb" which like all LED's, gives off a "cold" light. I've also tried lanterns using fuel canisters but the mantles tend to disintigrate when packed and carried, meaning you need to install a new mantle every time you light the thing. Short of an actual small fire, I'll defer to the previous suggestions for a candle lantern. They'll give you the warm glow that I personally find much more satisfying than LED's.

Richard Lyon
(richardglyon) - MLife

Locale: Bridger Mountains
Coleman Packaway on 04/22/2008 11:51:56 MDT Print View

You might try the Coleman Packaway Lantern, at 8 oz reasonably light and it packs really small. You can read about it at http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Lighting/Lanterns/Coleman%204AA%20Pack%20Away%20Lantern/.

darren stephens
(darren5576) - F

Locale: Down Under
Bush Television on 04/22/2008 14:35:08 MDT Print View

G'Day mate
If its just ambiance you’re after there are some tiny led candles they use for wedding decorations. I got a couple of the submersible ones from a wedding I was at. They’re only about an inch dia by 1/2 inch high and last for a couple of days if left on. I found a place to get them on line for you. http://www.weddingflowersandmore.com/iris.html
You won’t be able to perform surgery by them but if you want something to sit around in your tent with your friends and sing kumbiya they would be just fine.
Darren

Bill Burk
(bill_burk) - F

Locale: California
Fake flickering tea lights on 04/22/2008 16:40:48 MDT Print View

For a fireless flame you might take a fake flickering tea light. Wt: 1 oz. - like Darren suggests...

Edited by bill_burk on 04/22/2008 16:44:01 MDT.

R C
(beenay25) - F

Locale: Midwest
Re: Re: Backpacking lantern? on 04/23/2008 11:45:16 MDT Print View

I don't know of anything that can replace a real campfire.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned though is fill up a clear Platypus reservoir with water and shine the LED directly into it. The semi-clear plastic filled with water has a nice diffusing effect. It may not give the illusion of warmth, though...unless you have some orange or red gatorade powder along with you. However, I've done this in the middle of the night when I had to leave my campsite and just wanted a visual way to come back and find it; it's a nice little beacon.

...or just build a small, illegal fire and cover up your traces really well the next morning.

Edited by beenay25 on 04/23/2008 11:48:08 MDT.