Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Thread questions
Display Avatars Sort By:
george carr
(hammer-one) - F

Locale: Walking With The Son
Thread questions on 04/21/2008 16:17:32 MDT Print View

I have been giving serious thought to attempting a single layer climashield quilt as my 1st sewing project and was wondering 2 things: 1)about how much thread on average should it take to get the job done, and 2)Thru Hiker is out of their Hydrophobe thread so how does the Gutermann thread that Quest sells stack up? Should I just wait for Thru Hiker to get more stock?

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Thread questions on 04/21/2008 21:04:53 MDT Print View

I've been using the polyester thread that my local fabric store had in stock and it has held up wonderfully in all my stuff sacks and the tarp I've made.

David Erekson
(finallyME) - F

Locale: Utah desert
Thread on 04/22/2008 09:26:58 MDT Print View

For really good thread, get bonded nylon. It comes in many sizes. If you want to sew a bombproof pack to carry hundreds of pounds, use size 92 like Mchale. But, you need an industrial machine for thread that large. Size 69 is the largest with a home machine.

But, for a quilt, you do not need that much strength. The polyester thread at Joanns or Walmart is perfect, and the price is right, and shipping is pretty fast if you go there and pick it up yourself. If you want to see some really confused faces, go to a sewing store and ask for Bonded Nylon Thread. Everyone I went to looked at me like there was a hole in my head.

george carr
(hammer-one) - F

Locale: Walking With The Son
Thanks on 04/23/2008 21:03:08 MDT Print View

Thanks guys. I'll keep you posted on how it turns out.