Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Japanese Song Anyone?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Japanese Song Anyone? on 04/20/2008 00:01:14 MDT Print View

I was reading some older posts written by our Japanese forum members... and one thing leading to another, I ended up surfing Youtube -- and just by chance came upon my favorite Japanese song!

Edited by ben2world on 04/20/2008 00:35:50 MDT.

Roger B
(rogerb) - MLife

Locale: Here and there
Re: Japanese Song Anyone? on 04/20/2008 00:15:31 MDT Print View

Thanks Ben

What a perfect start to a sunday morning.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Japanese Song Anyone? on 04/20/2008 00:30:48 MDT Print View

Hi Roger,

Is it morning already? Here in LA, it's approaching midnight, and I am getting ready for bed!

Glad you like the song. The lyrics were written by 山上路夫 -- whose name translates to "Mountain Road Worker". So maybe he fixes roads and trails and is an avid hiker too. :)

Edited by ben2world on 04/20/2008 00:41:32 MDT.

Arapiles .
(Arapiles) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Re: Re: Japanese Song Anyone? on 04/20/2008 03:30:00 MDT Print View

"The lyrics were written by 山上路夫 -- whose name translates to "Mountain Road Worker". So maybe he fixes roads and trails and is an avid hiker too. :)"

Actually, according to my Japanese wife it translates as "mountain top" (i.e. summit) "Michio", which can be read literally as road. So it's potentially summit road.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: Japanese Song Anyone? on 04/20/2008 04:01:50 MDT Print View

Whoa Ben, don't let the younger Japanese know you're listening to this! You'll really show your age!

When I was a boy my favorite Japanese song, TV show, and character was this song from "Kogarashi Monjiro", about a solitary, masterless samurai who wandered the country righting wrongs. Even today I wish I could emulate his walking style and find inspiration in the clothing he wears. His kit makes our ultralight kit look positively fidgety. His walking equipment is historically correct, and designed for walking in the heat and heavy rains of Japan.

Edited by butuki on 04/20/2008 04:04:41 MDT.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: Japanese Song Anyone? on 04/20/2008 08:19:23 MDT Print View

Nice hat on that dude Miguel.

Hideaki Terasawa
(trsw3) - M

Locale: Tokyo
Re: Japanese Song Anyone? on 04/20/2008 08:25:04 MDT Print View

Hi Ben-san,
That song "瀬戸の花嫁 = A bride of the Seto Inland Sea" was my favorite when I was ten. I'm glad to hear you like it.

山上路夫(Yamagami Michio) is a lyricist of popular song, a little bit old songs. I don't know his name is autonym or pen name.
山上 is higher place of the mountain. 路夫 is not meaning a road man. Maybe it's containing some philosophy of his parent. 路 is rather the pass.
I think every Smith-san living US are not smith :-)

Hi Miguel,
Do you like "Kogarashi Monjiro 木枯紋次郎"? I like him, too. Because I think he was a real UL hiker in Japan. He (also every ancient Jananese travelers) walked with only two small boxes and a rain cape. They put on shoes made from straw even in the winter! It's very light weight and ecological.
Recently I've seen a wattle hat on ZPacks gallery. It's cool and actually it will make me feel cool in the summer.
I'll try it this year.
http://www.n-shirone.com/a-sonota.htm

Rediscovery!

Edited by trsw3 on 04/20/2008 08:30:30 MDT.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: Japanese Song Anyone? on 04/20/2008 09:06:07 MDT Print View

Hi Hideaki,

I love the clothing that Kogarashi Monjiro (and old travelers in Japan) wore. For a long time I have been looking for the cape that he wears (kappa? I think it comes from the Portuguese "capa") or for a sewing pattern. Do you know where it would be possible to get the cape or the design pattern?

木枯紋次郎と昔の旅行者の服が昔から大好きだった。ずっと前から紋次郎のカッパみたいなデザインかパターンを探してた。どこで手に入れるか分かりますか?

Everyone, as Hideaki described, if you look at the last part of the youtube video you will see two boxes hanging by one cord from the sapling while Monjiro is washing up. These are the only baggage he carries, truly ultralight. The gaitor like black wrapping on his feet are wrapped in the straw sandals that he uses to walk instead of shoes. Straw works better in the snow than leather. The straw hat is good for the sun and rain and is much cooler than western style hats.

Edited by butuki on 04/20/2008 09:06:41 MDT.

Hideaki Terasawa
(trsw3) - M

Locale: Tokyo
Re: Re: Japanese Song Anyone? on 04/20/2008 09:17:20 MDT Print View

Miguel
Thank you for complement.

>For a long time I have been looking for the cape that he wears

Yes, You can find it at Six Moon Designes!

or

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/omaturi/c/0000000443/
it's cotton :-(

http://www.kyoto-wel.com/item/IS81302N00101.html
it's synthetic fabric!

http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/grooveplan/ai226421.html
maybe it's a imitation :-)

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Japanese Song Anyone? on 04/20/2008 11:13:14 MDT Print View

Thanks, everyone, for the clarifications!

Watching Miguel-san's video, that is a cool hat indeed. I do wonder how our hero keeps from banging his hat against the thick bamboos!?! I wear a baseball cap and I have banged mine against trees and branches a few times...

Oh, and thank you -- Hideaki-san -- for classifying my song as just "a little bit old". You are much gentler than Miguel! :)

Edited by ben2world on 04/20/2008 17:44:09 MDT.